Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Steaming up - OTG Goggles - Oakley vs Bolle

Poster: A snowHead
Hello all

I have a pair of OTG Bolles. They've never performed well; partly because my prescription glasses regularly steam up and the lens (I don't know what it is) is not great in flat light when I need it most.

I had investigated HRM helmets with visor, recommended by my optician whose French, wears glasses, and is an expert skier, but at this point in the season, I'm told they're out of stock.

I'm off with my son to Tignes on 5 Feb and he has some Oakleys (not OTG) with HI Yellow lenses and he finds them brilliant. Unfortunately, the Oakleys OTGs (L frame) only come with a persimmon lens which is an all purpose flat/low light lens but not nearly as effective as the HI Yellow lens for the same conditions.

I'm an upper intermediate in late 50s and rarely venture off piste and have got used to skiing with a helmet and sun glasses which means I tend to be an fair weather skier because I don't really like using the Bolles. Its become a bit of a confidence thing and I need to sort it so I can take advantage of more varied conditions.

I wonder whether anyone has any experience of the OTG Oakleys - there's no point in me buying a pair only to find the same problem of steaming.
Equally, at my standard should I be worried that the persimmon lens might be less than perfect for poor light conditions?

I haven't investigated other OTG goggle makers (if there are any) to see if they supply HI Yellow lenses.

Colin
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Colin Bell, I've tried several pairs of OTG goggles of varying prices and find they all steam up. My solution has been sunglasses on blue sky days and contacts and goggles on bad days - I buy a couple of box fulls on the internet and use them when I need them on things like skiing holidays. My optician runs a 18 month contacts check on my eyes as she knows I dabble in them.

My patent cure for steamy goggles is a polish with dish washing liquid on the inside. However, I find with OTG goggles that it tends to be my specs that steam rather than the goggles themselves so you can also polish your specs with dish washing liquid. What you do have to watch is if you get watery eyes after doing so as spectacle lenses are close to the eye and it stings a bit if you get soap residues your eyes.

You can get lens inserts which fit into some goggles, some on here swear by them, but I think if specs steam up then so might add in lenses, and I reckon they might be a bit intrusive in your sight line - maybe someone that uses them will post on that issue for you.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
[quote="Megamum"]Colin Bell

My patent cure for steamy goggles is a polish with dish washing liquid on the inside.

No No No No Oakleys and I am sure top end Bolles have an anti fog coating and it works They don't need owt, especially not a bit of fairy.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I have only used them for 10 days so far- and it was pretty warm outside- but my Oakley A frames didn't steam up at all. They are not the best to look at- but have big vents under your cheeks for excellent airflow
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
As a spectacle wearer I do sometimes have problems when wearing OTG goggles, but it's invariably the spectacles that steam up, not the goggles themselves. The key to preventing this is to make sure that the spectacles are as clean as possible - if there is no dirt, dust or grease on the spectacle lens then there is no nucleating point for the water vapour to condense onto.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
ooops i missed the over the glasses bit!

Contact lenses * 10000!
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I agree that the main point is to keep everything perfectly clean use all the tricks to keep from fogging up as others have said. To give you another idea have a look at something like the Adidas Elevation Climacool system with prescription inserts. I have found these pretty good except for when moving through the freezing point when the rain and moisture freeze over everything - not sure what could work better for that though! These are something between sunglasses and goggles and use the same prescription inserts as other Adidas sunglasses which is handy. There is a range of lens tints available but I don't remember seeing a HI yellow.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I usually wear reactolite-type varifocals all day because I can't see long distances or to read.

But they have always been a nightmare under goggles, so I just don't wear the glasses, just goggles.

I always need to ski with someone if we need to read the piste map - but I have found that not being able to see the bumps/ice properly has made my skiing over/around/through them that much better.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Megamum, thanks to you and others. I'm no good with contacts and it is my specs which steam up, not the goggles themselves From what's been said so far, clean lenses resist steaming but there probably isn't a material difference between OTG goggles except perhaps for the Adidas system but this might be too much of an experiment. I'm tempted for £50 to try the Oakleys. My optician didn't think the prescription inserts cured the problem although had them on display.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I switched from my old Scott OTGs to Oakley OTGs and have never regretted it - my glasses steaming up used to be a real problem for me but the Oakleys seem to have sorted it out for me. I'd certainally go to Oakley again when i'm next looking for goggles.

Point to remember though, last time I got glasses, one of the pairs I got don't fit well under my goggles - they go on and get pushed back into my face - so always check the fit of your goggles with the specs you intend to ski/ride in.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Colin Bell, The thing is as you and I have found it's not the goggles that steam up - it's the specs. I think it's down to a lack of airflow around them and the fact that the area of you face within the goggles naturally perspires - if its not settling on the goggles due to coatings etc. it will naturally plate out on your specs - which is why something that breaks the surface tension on the specs should help. However, I do sympathise, if you can't wear the contacts you are indeed running out of options and probably like me don't want your eyes lasered.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
also make sure that the air can vent through the top. Many helmets don't let this happen properly! I bought Oakley Flightdecks and was disappointed that they kept steaming until someone at the Oakley shop let me know why. (Cost me a new helmet)
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Smith have some OTG goggles with a fan, that is supposed to prevent them from steaming up (like this one). Myself, I use contact lenses and a regular goggle and am happy with that.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Shampoo works as an anti-fog on your glasses too, wipe on a bit, allow to dry and then polish clear.
If on the mountain and you're fogging up, in a pinch you can try the old scuba trick - lick your glasses (easier to take them off first) and blow dry and a gentle polish on a dry cloth.

As @Kel says, these tricks are for your GLASSES ONLY - don't go doing this to your goggle lenses.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I have a friend who pee's in his, and swears they have never fogged up.
ski holidays
@blahblahblah, that'd explain the yellow lenses.
snow report
Its pretty simple - your goggles are fogging up, as you are wearing too many clothes and your body is overhearting.

Try dropping the mid-layer, and see if your goggles still fog up.
latest report
@Colin Bell, Oakley Prizm lenses, no steaming up
ski holidays
I normally use contacts for distance with my goggles for skiing, but then I can't see to read a map, use a phone, or see the screen on my camera without readers. My goggles almost never fog and clear rapidly as soon as I'm moving again.
I can manage near vision without glasses at a push so I bought inserts for my goggles last year so I could see when I took them off.
What all that leads to is the inserts fog up horribly, goggles are fine, even with anti fog treatment on the inserts they fog.
Just bought some flight decks, they will go over my glasses but within a couple of minutes the glasses fog up. Goggles are fine.

Answer is back to contacts and carry a pair of ready readers (and sunglasses for lunchtime & end of day).
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy