Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Boots for ice and snow

Poster: A snowHead
Having cracked a couple of ribs going A over T on an icy surface (sober) in Les Menuires on December 24th (timing is everything!) I am now retiring my cheapish but waterproof boots that cannot grip on ice and need to bung some notes on a new pair that do grip.

On the shortlist so far are:

1) Merrell Men's Ice Jam Waterproof Espresso Hiking Shoe
2) SALOMON Elbrus WP Men's Hiking Boots

Has anyone any experience of these or care to share grippy boot recommendations?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
merrell are really good, got my vote........ i also had a pair of 'hi-tec' womens snowboots which were brilliant, but i'm not sure whether they do a man-version!
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Alternatively buy the spikes on rubber you see advertised in the Sunday supplements, about 7 quid, fit on any shoes and are very good, mine fit over my skiboots too which also have the benefit of saving the soles without the larger expense of cat tracks.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
hothoundz, sorry for the plug have to agree with lilywhite, I have a few left Toofy Grin Toofy Grin \/
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I've a pair of Salomon Goretex boots (might be called Exit Mid?) and they have lasted way longer than the Merrels (moabs and others) I've owned.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
My KSB Peak eVents do the job just fine (though to have some of those rubber spike things to add fo when it is solid ice rather than snow), a quick google findes them at £45, which is less than I paid 5 years ago and they are still going strong.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Get some Yak Trax or similar:
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=59701

Or, if you want some new boots then get thee to a proper outdoor shop and try on some winter boots - e.g:
http://www.outside.co.uk/shop/footwear
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Love these Haglofs, took a bit of breaking in, but nice stiff shoe with a great sole.

http://www.haglofs.com/en-US/products/footwear/offroad/men/haglofs_vertigo_gt_en-us.aspx
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Thanks. Since I do a fair amount of work in Ski resorts I'm driving and in and out of properties so need a grippy boot without the add-ons. Will look at the recommendations. Haglofs look good. I'm a big fan of the Merrell and Salomon so will investigate further.

BTW - livetoski - how do you get the Snowheads discount working on SS? Will be purchasing some gloves soon!
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I'm not totally convinced that the type of shoe/boot is solely (geddit wink ) to be considered. I'm of the opinion that your natural stance/walking gait has an marked effect on being able to maintain your balance. I have used Merrel footwear for a number of years and I often slip in snowy icy conditions. I blame vibram soles which seem very unforgiving in the snow and ice (great for muddy fields though). I also easily loose my footing in normal shoes on wet or slippy pavements. My pal OTOH always seems to be able to keep his footing regardless of the conditions. I am rather small footed (7/Cool and my front foot hits the ground first. He tends to be a little splay/flat footed, shoe size 9/10 and hardly ever slips. It was also quite noticeable in ski boots; I wear cat tracks and still slip, he doesn't and strides out like a man in 10 league boots !
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
If you want shoes/boots without the extras such as Yak Traks have a look at The North Face's range of winter boots and shoes. The blurb says the 'icepick' compond on the soles alters at low tempretures to give more grip. Thought this was just a bit of marketing speak but have got a pair of chilkat boots and their snow sneakers and it does seem to work.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I use Sorel Caribous. IMHO they are the best snow boot available. I have put a wee self tapping screw in the tread under the ball of my foot. This now gives excellent ice grip also.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
hothoundz,
Quote:

BTW - livetoski - how do you get the Snowheads discount working on SS? Will be purchasing some gloves soon!

if you register on SS, there is a field that says clubs, just enter Snowheads, when I see it my end I change your account to 10% off, I usually check my mails all day so there could be a small delay between registering and seeing the discount in your shopping basket, if yor n a urry to order just text me on the number on my site Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Rudd shoe chains are fantastic. Ordered ours from Roofbox company. They even fit over my ski boots, and stopped me slipping on black ice, when cat tracks were useless. I've got some Sorel boots which are very good.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Have not tried them but have seen boots like this with built-in ice studs:
http://www.vegetarian-shoes.co.uk/hiking_boots_-_safety_boots/ice_patrol_boot_black/13612_p.html
They look like they would be great in sheet ice conditions.

I have a pair of Sorel boots from when I lived in Russia. -25°C but never had cold feet and dealt with every condition of snow.
ski holidays
Hells Bells,
Quote:

Rudd shoe chains
How flexible is the elastic on these? My problem with most elasticated products like this is that my hands aren't strong enough to stretch them over the boot sole. And do you have the cheaper one-size ones?
snow conditions
halfhand, I agree. A lot of it is technique.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy