Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Please dont shout...What lenth skis do I need?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi, I know it's all a bit of a black art but here goes, I am just under 6 foot (bare foot) and 11.5 stone.
I would say I am an intermediate and have skied for about 5 years on long (180s) and then came back after a break of 10yrs to find everything changed...
Of to St Foy for half term (having lessons) so thoughts please Embarassed
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
harrim51, I am about the same height at you and weight a stone and a half more than you. I ski on 174 and 178s and don't really notice the difference in length to be honest. All I do know is they are much easier to ski on than the 206s were that now live in my loft snowHead ( why am I keeping them? )

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Wed 25-01-12 15:45; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
175ish-180ish.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
harrim51, OK as your going to St Foy, it all depends on what style of ski you want to ski on, all mountain ski, piste only, off piste etc etc are you hiring or buying.

Also 180 is not really long wink Toofy Grin
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
harrim51, Are you hiring or buying? If you are hiring go fairly short to start with then see if you need them longer. Also look at the condition of the snow - if it is firm then go shorter and if very soft go longer.

I am 1.75 tall and weigh 68. For soft snow I use 170 skis and really firm pistes 155 slalom race skis. My son who weighs 75 (I think height is irrelevant) skis on 175 salomon X wings on soft snow and 155 atomic race skis when the snow is firm. He is even pretty impressive in deep powder on the X wings.

If you are buying - hire first to see what suits you.

John
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
For hiring for normal pistes I'd guess 170-175 won't kill you. For offpiste/twin tips/rockers go longer.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Ski length is relative. 165cm might be suitable for a pair of slalom skis, but if you get an all-mountain pair 165 would be stupidly short for you. Therefore choose what ski you want first, then decide what length. Many skis come in a choice of lengths. If you're average height go for the middle length; taller than average go for the longest length; shorter than average go for the shortest length. Modify your choice if your build is heavier/lighter than average, or if you ski extremely hard or gently.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Hi Harrim, if you can describe the sort of skiing you expect to be doing then you will be able to get more specific advice. Personally I am similar height and weight to you and have 3 options 167, 177, and 188 for different purposes. I suggest finding a friendly rental place that will let you try a couple of options, but I'm sure they will wznt know your preferences too before recommending the first pair to try.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
harrim51, WHAT SORT OF SKIING DO YOU INTEND TO DO......DEMO AND LET THE SKIS CHOOSE YOU!!!!!!!!

Sorry. Always feel like shouting when I'm told not to. Very Happy
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Thanks for all the comments. I will be hiring and as for the type of sking, I am hoping to get carving sorted ( less skidding), and a bit more relaxed style. I will be having lessons in the morning and then some time in the afternoon with my 11 year old and swmbo. snowHead
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
harrim51, get yourself to an indoor snow slope, go to Ellis Brigham (or SnR if you go to Hemel) explain what you want out of your skis and let them hook you up with some demo skis. If you want to demo in the alps, most shops will allow you to demo and what ever you pay for the demo, they'll normally take of the price of a new pair of skis if you buy.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy