Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Lads ski week...End of Feb...Ideas greatly apprieciated!

Poster: A snowHead
Hi everyone,
I am looking for some pointers for ski trip for 3 lads pls.....I am red run level...others are bit less.....have been to Mayrhofen last year and really enjoyed it there and would go back but others undecided wheather they'd like somewhere different and I got the task of tieing this all together this time around!... good apres ski is a must!!.....lively places would be much apprieciated
Stephen
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Tignes
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
saalbach or ischgl should tick the boxes in terms of ski ability and apres. st anton if you dare Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks for the suggestion Timbobaggins
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
boabski wrote:
saalbach or ischgl should tick the boxes in terms of ski ability and apres. st anton if you dare Toofy Grin

Cheers for that boab!
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:

good apres ski is a must!!.....

then this means Austria. And the best apres ski in Austria is St Anton - no question.

Don't worry about people telling you it is a gnarly resort for off pisters only. It has loads of great cruising and some stuff to challenge the more daring of you too.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Tignes Puzzled

It's a great ski area but not particularly for the OP standard and certainly apres is poor even by French standards.

End of Feb is middle of the French school holidays - you sure you want to go then? Shock

The best apres is in Austria. I was looking somebody discussing Soll the other week. Not for me but it's sounds right for you. Good skiing and night life.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Edit to remove duplicate.

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Wed 25-01-12 16:52; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Tiger2 wrote:
Quote:

good apres ski is a must!!.....

then this means Austria. And the best apres ski in Austria is St Anton - no question.

Don't worry about people telling you it is a gnarly resort for off pisters only. It has loads of great cruising and some stuff to challenge the more daring of you too.

Cool thanks for the info T
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Layne wrote:
Tignes Puzzled

It's a great ski area but not particularly for the OP standard and certainly apres is poor even by French standards.

End of Feb is middle of the French school holidays - you sure you want to go then? Shock

The best apres is in Austria. I was looking somebody discussing Soll the other week. Not for me but it's sounds right for you. Good skiing and night life.

Thanks Layne & I'm guessing Austria have the same school hols?....was later into March last year when we went to Mayrhofen
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
There is a sticky thread here for school holidays: http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=76752

Extract:

Quote:
Avoid the week 18.2.2012 to 25.02.2012 when the Bavarians have school holidays. This is the most busy week during the season except new the week over the new years day.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Saalbach-Hinterglemm - good apres ski, nice skiing, reasonable length transfers. Otherwise, Pas-de-la-casa, excellent apres ski, but skiing more limited than Saalbach - you might find it limited if you are onto the reds, but the rest of your crew might like.

I'm just back from Les Deux Alpes, some cheap deals going. Night life very good, but only black runs and an annoying green back into resort. Folks that were not skiing blacks were downloading on the cable cars. Excellent blue/red skiing higher up. (up to 3600M on the glacier at the top). Several short green runs low down for level 0/1 skiiers.

Alpe d' Huez also worth considering, more blues low down. Glacier up top, not as high as Deux Alpes.

You'll never go wrong with 3-valleys, but stay in the centre valley (Merribel/Motteret), as ski-journeys out either side then poss. If you stay in Les Minures, Corchevel or VT then you might be limited to group-ski's only one valley over due to speed of the party or end up rushing for the last lift. Don't miss the last lift, taxi back around costs loads (70EUR!). If you go to Les Minures, check out the burgers/steak at le Bar Ferme (right hand side of piste after the short steep section), piste to the left of the main run into the resort.

Final recommendation would be Tignes. Loads to do, and ski journeys into Valdisere side easy. Stay at top resort (Val Claret) rather than Tignes-le-Lac though since there is only a black run from Valdisere side into Le-Lac - and you'll end up descending into Val Claret, and either using the other side to get to Le-Lac or getting the ski-bus. Glacier nice here too, and the long red from the top of the Funicular is wide, and not too steep. I'd recommend against staying at Valdisere because the resort runs are reds, and are fairly narrow in places. Folks come hurtling down at the end of the day, and it gets a bit lumpy.

Nigel
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
veletron wrote:
Saalbach-Hinterglemm - good apres ski, nice skiing, reasonable length transfers. Otherwise, Pas-de-la-casa, excellent apres ski, but skiing more limited than Saalbach - you might find it limited if you are onto the reds, but the rest of your crew might like.

I'm just back from Les Deux Alpes, some cheap deals going. Night life very good, but only black runs and an annoying green back into resort. Folks that were not skiing blacks were downloading on the cable cars. Excellent blue/red skiing higher up. (up to 3600M on the glacier at the top). Several short green runs low down for level 0/1 skiiers.

Alpe d' Huez also worth considering, more blues low down. Glacier up top, not as high as Deux Alpes.

You'll never go wrong with 3-valleys, but stay in the centre valley (Merribel/Motteret), as ski-journeys out either side then poss. If you stay in Les Minures, Corchevel or VT then you might be limited to group-ski's only one valley over due to speed of the party or end up rushing for the last lift. Don't miss the last lift, taxi back around costs loads (70EUR!). If you go to Les Minures, check out the burgers/steak at le Bar Ferme (right hand side of piste after the short steep section), piste to the left of the main run into the resort.

Final recommendation would be Tignes. Loads to do, and ski journeys into Valdisere side easy. Stay at top resort (Val Claret) rather than Tignes-le-Lac though since there is only a black run from Valdisere side into Le-Lac - and you'll end up descending into Val Claret, and either using the other side to get to Le-Lac or getting the ski-bus. Glacier nice here too, and the long red from the top of the Funicular is wide, and not too steep. I'd recommend against staying at Valdisere because the resort runs are reds, and are fairly narrow in places. Folks come hurtling down at the end of the day, and it gets a bit lumpy.

Nigel

Many thanks Nigel for the information.....very useful insight
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Tignes, not good for night life/apres. I must have gone to a different resort then Puzzled
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Tignes Apres Ski:

Val Claret (top resort) --> good
Tignes-le-lac (lower resort) --> less good

Neither compares to St Anton or Saalbach though. Saalbach was my first experience of true Austrian apres-ski, where folks are still wearing ski boots on the dance floor of a bar at 3AM.
latest report
Tidalbullet, Soll.
ski holidays
Timbobaggins, You need to get out more..........try Austria. wink wink

Tidalbullet, Go to Ischgl, just thanks me afterwards.
snow report
Tidalbullet, has to be Austria! As others have said Ischgl would be great but I've never managed to get a hotel booking there for a long weekend. You shouldn't have any trouble getting into Saalbach Hinterglemm though. Nice skiing on blues and reds but what makes it is the brilliant après.
snow report
A few Saalbach pics here (among a few too many beery pics!):

http://www.veletron.com/php/gallery2/main.php?g2_itemId=7436

We were half board in the hotel Karlshof. Decent room, basic (but perfectly edible) food, bar in basement. About 10 mins walk in ski boots to the closest lift. Pic of front of hotel in that album. Things prob changed by now, it was a while ago.

Nigel
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy