Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

SAN CASSIANO

Poster: A snowHead
I have searched, but cannot find any "hits", so am enquiring as to whether anybody has any views or reviews about San Cassiano in the Alta Badia region of Italy.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Go to http://www.snowheads.com/ski-forum/search.php
Put cassiano in the keywords box

Works for me!
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Been there, and going again in March. What sort of info are you seeking? It is blue heaven with lots of good options for more.

snowHead
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Okanagan, 258 matches. JHBGerry, make sure you tick the "Search topic title and message text" button
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thank you Okanagan. I put San Cassiano in. Perhaps why I got nothing.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Thank you Frosty. Sorry about that. As you can see from number of posts, I am very new on the site!
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thanks Chris,

I normally go to La Thuile on an annual basis, but this year I have run out of friends, and thought it may be nice to try somewhere different.

I am not looking for somewhere with a wild night life, but the off festive bar or restaurant is always a good thing.

I am an intermediate skier, as I can only go once a year, so the type of runs available sound great.

I am also planning to go in March this year.

Gerry
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
JHBGerry, no need top apoligise, the search is not overly easy to use. As Chris Bish, says it is cruising heaven. What are you looking for in a resort?
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
JHBGerry, San Cassiano is a quiet, even select sort of place, but has a few bars and restaurants. It is on the edge of the wonderful Sella Ronda area of the beautiful Dolomiti mountain range. If you fancy gentle cruising through stunning scenery, with the option of more challenging stuff if you want it, then this is the place for you. It also has excellent food and is, by some standards, quite cheap.

March conditions are quite spring-like, with hard corduroy first thing softening to good by midday with softer in the afternoon. Usually plenty of sunshine. If you look at the Calling Sella Ronda Fans threads from the past 3 years or so, you will find a wealth of information.

snowHead
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Frosty, just saw the video you posted on La Villa, Dolomites. Awesome!

Frosty, I am an intermediate skier (comfortable on most reds), and am primarily looking for somewhere with good and relatively uncrowded slopes. I am not a party animal, but would still enjoy being able to have the odd apres-ski beer and good food in a restaurant.

Gerry
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Thanks Chris, much appreciated.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Not sure if anyone has been to La Thuile, but if you have, would love to know how San Cassiano would compare to LaThuile?
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
JHBGerry, The Sella Ronda can get busy at choke points, but in March, the area will be quiet. I suspect you will love it. Piste preparation and snow-making (if needed) are top-notch. From San Cassiano, you can easily do the Ronda itself, the Hidden Valley is "next door", you can get to Cinque Torri, Marmolada glacier, the World Cup run at Selva (challenge!) but equally you can ski all day for dozens of km on blues.

snowHead
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Thanks Chris. I am persuaded, but it seems that accommodation is completely non-existent! Will keep searching though.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Availability here: http://www.mountainsunltd.com/chalet/albergo-frohsinn
snow report
Thanks Okanagan. Will contact them now.

All the help is greatly appreciated.

Gerry
ski holidays
JHBGerry, That is where I and some other snowHead will be on March 11th. Ski-in ski-out. A bit rough at the edges (the place is used a a hostel for disaffected youth in the summer and it gets a bit battered as a result) but good food and very convenient.

snowHead
snow conditions
Thanks Chris, I am not too fussy, but like a clean bed at night. Very Happy

Seem pricing is about 65 pounds per day on a half-board basis, which is very reasonable.
latest report
Skied the Dolomites for the first time last season pretty much on Chrisbish's recommendations and info.
Am now a Confirmed Believer. The whole Sella Ronda area and its various resorts looked pretty exciting to me (for both the skiing and the food and drink)
and I look forward to exploring it much more intensively over quite a few more seasons.
My one reservation would be that it could be quite vulnerable to winters when there is less than abundant snowfall. However, if on piste is your thing they do
have lots and lots of snowmaking machines.
latest report
Thanks Big Paua. Chris has converted me too> Very Happy
ski holidays
JHBGerry, we had a club trip there last year and put together a blog of the trip http://www.insideoutskiing.com/news/blog_files/dolomites_2011.html
snow conditions
Thanks Skimottaret. That is very useful indeed.
snow report
Okanagan, are you connected to Mountain Sun at all? I have sent some enquiries regarding accommodation, but have not had any response. Not sure that they are receiving my enquiries.

Gerry
snow report
I read the following passage in one of the reviews of San Cassiano: "Come February, especially during Carnival and February half-term, it can get hectic here". Does anybody know when the Carnival and half-term would be in 2012?
latest report
I am planning on going for two weeks. Would it make any sense to spend a week at San Cassiano and a week at La Villa, or would that just be senseless as they are so close to each other?
snow conditions
JHBGerry wrote:
Okanagan, are you connected to Mountain Sun at all? I have sent some enquiries regarding accommodation, but have not had any response. Not sure that they are receiving my enquiries.

Gerry

No just like many here a past customer. You could try sending a message to Snowheads user Joanne Mountainsun who IS part of the organisation.
snow conditions
JHBGerry wrote:
I read the following passage in one of the reviews of San Cassiano: "Come February, especially during Carnival and February half-term, it can get hectic here". Does anybody know when the Carnival and half-term would be in 2012?

Assuming they mean UK half term then it's Sat 11- Sun 19 Feb
Italian spring holiday/carnival week is the one after that.

Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Thu 26-01-12 9:04; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
Okanagan wrote:
JHBGerry wrote:

Gerry

No just like many here a past customer. You could try sending a message to Snowheads user Joanne Mountainsun who IS part of the organisation.

It can take Jude a few days to get back to you, Welcome to snowHead 'heads by the way Smile
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
JHBGerry wrote:
Does anybody know when the Carnival and half-term would be in 2012?

I am pretty sure its actual date is the same as Shrove Tuesday, being 21st Feb this year. I think the Italians celebrate it the previous weekend.

I have been in Arabba during Carnevale and it was busy, but not manic.
snow report
Thanks everybody for the advice, and to Linds for the welcome. I am also a member of a couple of off-road biking forums, and they get very uptight if you start posting without "intrioducing" yourself. So, hopefully I have not offended anybody, but did not see such a requirement here. Very Happy
snow report
JHBGerry, As Linds, said, Mountainsun are a pretty laid-back organisation and can be slow to respond - even to payments! They are all skiers and might well be off skiing!

As to your question about La Villa and San Cassiano, I would think you would be accessing exactly the same area to ski, so would advise against that. If you have a car there, and it sounds as if you might have, I suggest looking at Arabba for your second week, of possibly even somewhere out-of-the-way like Pozza di Fassa or even Vigo. That would give you access to the Sella Ronda from the opposite side, but also the chance to try some of the obscure by-ways, which in my experience are delightful.

snowHead
snow conditions
I have had e-mail contact and response from Jude at Mountainsun this week - there was an apology for slowness of the reply, I would say they are pretty busy at the moment. It is approaching UK Half Term so it is their peak.
snow conditions
Thanks Chris and CP!
snow report
We went to San Cassiano about two years ago, fairly cheap way to access the Milky Way but dead as a dead thing thats been dead for a long time.

Crystal has/did have only one hotel in the resort and thats about it and there is a lack of shops, bars, eateries etc in the village.

We asked around as to why it was so quiet and the answer was that all of the apartments are owned by people living in nearby Turin who come up for the weekend, they stop off at the larger (cheaper) supermarkets at the base of the mountain, fill up and dont buy anything in resort. The main street is a wealth of empty units though but its just like walking through a ghost town.

Oh and beware the slippery slope down to the road level from the base of the piste.
latest report
Thank you Homer. Now of course, i am completely confused! Very Happy
ski holidays
JHBGerry, Homers double is telling you wrong San Cassiano is nowhere near Turin or the Milky Way, San Sicario is in the Milky way. San Cassiano, in the Dolomites just off the Sella Ronda, and is lovely skiing and dining, regarded by some as an 'exclusive' resort. Michelin star restaurants?????
snow conditions
stew72 wrote:
JHBGerry, Homers double is telling you wrong San Cassiano is nowhere near Turin or the Milky Way, San Sicario is in the Milky way. San Cassiano, in the Dolomites just off the Sella Ronda, and is lovely skiing and dining, regarded by some as an 'exclusive' resort. Michelin star restaurants?????

And Crystal do of course go to Sansicario, but NOT to San Cassiano.
snow conditions
My faith in Chris is restored. Thanks Stew and Okanagan. Very Happy

Provided I can find accommodation, I will be going for a week or two during the early part of March.

I was also considering a second week in Canazei, based solely on information found on the web. Any comments or advice in such regard? This planning thing beats working!

Gerry
snow report
JHBGerry, Hang on! I'm only human you know, and people's ideas about what they want can vary. As I was in the Milky Way last week, I can confirm that San Cassiano is a long way from there! I did say the place was
Quote:

a quiet, even select sort of place, but has a few bars and restaurants

but it is not pary central!

Canazei would be a good choice for a second week. It gives you access to the Alba to Pozza area as well as being near enough to Selva for you to do the World Cup run and go on the underground to San Christina and Ortisei. (Not to be confused with San Sicario and the Orkneys!)
snowHead
snow conditions
Thanks Chris - nothing to be concerned about! You are not being set up for litigation. Very Happy

Chris, I am about to make all the bookings (well as soon as I get hold of Mountain Sun), and was wondering whether you have any recommendations for Canazei accommodation?
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy