Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

10 best Ski apps

Poster: A snowHead
dudes

no sign of snowheads
me thinks adkershingmin has missed a trick
even SCGB snow reports comes in second !

ok bye

http://www.independent.co.uk/travel/skiing/the-10-best-ski-apps-6293952.html

(1) iTrailMap3D

£2.99

Hit the lodge after a hard day's skiing, grab a beer and compare your routes and tracks with your friends using this 3D map and tracking app. When you get home, you can export the info to Google Earth.

(2) Ski Club Snow Reports

Free

Is the snow ankle-deep, thigh-high or completely non-existent? This app lets you check the depth of snow at most major resorts and also provides information on the status of the slopes and chair lifts.

(3) Realski

Free

If you're off to a North American resort this year, take a look at Realski. Just point your device at a resort and its augmented reality technology shows up all the chairlifts, runs, lodges, restrooms and restaurants.

(4) Mammut Safety

Free

No one should go out on the slopes without this SOS app. It gives avalanche bulletins and has an emergency tracker and contact system that can send your exact co-ordinates to the emergency services.

(5) Ski forecast

Free

Going to Val d'Isère? Off to Aspen? Well this forecast app gives you weather reports for the next few days and also information about the quality of the snow already on the ground.

(6) Ski Maps

£1.99

If you fancy going off piste for the afternoon, this clever little app allows you to download a ski resort map to your mobile and find your exact position, and way back, by using your phone's GPS positioner.

(7) Ski School Intermediate

£2.99

Forget that refresher lesson with your surly ski instructor, and give this "lesson app" a spin. It features ski instructor Darren Turner, who gives handy tips and demonstrations for the intermediate skier.

(Cool Ski tracks

£0.69

Start the app as you leave your hotel and it tracks your movements during the day. When you get back in the evening you can see your fastest run, average speed, distance travelled and even changes in altitude.

(9) Ski Webcams

Free

Snow reports are all well and good but sometimes you want to see the slopes for yourself. This app has more than 1,500 webcams available from more than 400 resorts worldwide, many in high definition.

(10) Touch Ski 3D

Free

This app won't help improve your parallel turns but it's a perfect game for the ski obsessive to relax with après ski. Use your finger to guide your skis as you rush down the mountain or attempt the ski jump.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Can't believe ski tracks is only number 8 - I'd have that as 1!
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
kat.ryb, Me too Very Happy
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
http://www.skiamade.com/en/winter/news/free-wlan/app

Ski amadé application offers a whole series of new facilities. A ski navigation system is the focal point. Based on the skier’s skiing ability and preferences, it shows the way from one point to the next.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Frosty the Snowman, ooh that could be good.

In ADH this year, in white outs and freezing winds I was thinking that what I really neeed was some kind of augmentred reality heads up display on my goggles. Something which responds to voice commands and then can display the whole map, or overlay the section of the map onto what I'm looking at with slope names. Then a nice big arrow can be displayed onto the fork which I need to take to get back to wherever. Also, it will have the capability to work out, for eg 'the quickest route back to x lift' or 'a route back to x avoiding green runs' and so on.

Much better than having to take gloves off and muck about with a paper map!

Muchos love to whoever invents this at a reasonbale price Very Happy
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Skiline app is pretty good to an extent
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
boabski, what does it do?
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I use Swiss Ski and Ski Montagne (both free iPhone apps from memory) to get resort & snow info, piste maps & webcam shots for Swiss and french resorts respectively.

Both seem fairly reliable.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
kat.ryb, as long as your resort has skiline facilities, all you need to do is input your pass number and it gives you a daily update on how many vertical m you do and how many km you ski. I had all my families passes on it and was a useful wee tool without using GPS. www.skliline.cc
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
kat.ryb, I can just imagine it.... "in 20 yards prepare to turn left... turn left... in 20 yards prepare to turn right... turn right... in 20 yards turn left..." and after you fly off the piste "... ahead, do a U turn..." wink
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
zebedee, yup thats pretty much how I'm seeing it. You'll be able to pick from a selection of voices including 'angry french ski instructor shouting at you for an unexplained reason during a ski leddon' and 'helpful scottish lift attendent'. No honestly, I reckon in 5 years time I'll be able to have augmented reality up on my goggles at my command - we already have heds up display on car windscreens so the technology is already there just needs to be optimised.

I'd never really seen the problem with navigating via a paper map untill this year but it really was exceedingly difficult to navigate when you cant see more than a few m in front of you so have no concept of the lie of the land, and the hjigh winds and cold compounded my desire for a technological solution.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Just seen this in the buy/sell forum:

http://www.freshapps.com/snowhere/

What do people think? Looks good as a 'has friend followed down the correct slope and is just being slow, or have they taken the wrong turning' kind of thing but I'd be a bit suspect about its uses in place of a tranceiver?
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
http://m.engadget.com/default/article.do?artUrl=http://www.engadget.com/2011/01/06/recon-details-next-gen-gps-goggle-technology-android-bluetooth/&category=classic&postPage=1
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Frosty, the ski amade app is brilliant. It was great to check out things before I went off on my hols to Schladming and was great to find out exactly where I was when I was out there.

Only problem with all these on-piste apps is that I really need to get a pair of conductive gloves so I can use my them without freezing my fingers off.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Are these iphone or Android apps, or a mixture?

I hate it when they don't specify Evil or Very Mad
snow conditions
Do all the GPS tracker ones work if you have turned off data roaming etc?

If they rely on data for maps etc, then using any of these may be pricy I guess
ski holidays
Boris, ski tracks def can be used with roaming turned off. It will track via gps and then when you get back to the chalet with wifi you canload it up onto a map.
ski holidays
heron wrote:
Are these iphone or Android apps, or a mixture?

I hate it when they don't specify Evil or Very Mad

As seems usually to be teh case when they don't specify, those are iphone apps Sad

There are some similar types of application available for Android though.
For instance Satski (£3.20 - there is a free version with most of the real-time type stuff disabled) - https://market.android.com/details?id=com.satski.ski6&feature=more_from_developer#?t=W251bGwsMSwxLDEwMiwiY29tLnNhdHNraS5za2k2Il0.

Or Alpinereplay (Free) - looks a lot like the ski tracks iphone one listed. https://market.android.com/details?id=com.alpinereplay.android&feature=also_installed
ski holidays
Boris wrote:
Do all the GPS tracker ones work if you have turned off data roaming etc?

If they rely on data for maps etc, then using any of these may be pricy I guess

GPS doesn't use data, and (I only speak for SkiTracks as that's what I use) will save the GPS info for you and you can just download the additional map info when you're in wifi range Smile
ski holidays
Will the gps work if you have your phone buried deep within your jacket? and does it eat through your battery in hurry?
am looking to get an app that will track distance and speed over the day. have installed my tracks ans just downloaded alpinereplay. Can I run the two at the same time, or is that just serveing my battery up on a plate?
snow report
As a mega-sceptic I can confirm that SkiTrax works perfectly whilst : -

(A) Data roaming is turned off
(B) It's buried deep inside your jacket
(C) You're absolutely out of your mind in the middle of the inside dancefloor in the Mooserwirt
(D) After being found on the floor and being handed in from some kindly soul in Post Keller/Picadilly

All true...
ski holidays
Skiline is an excellent app.

The maps on the SkiAmade app are actually better than the paper maps they issue
ski holidays
Do I have to log into alpinereplay each time to use it? As in if I don't have wifi where I am, and am not willing to pay crazy 3g charges while abroad, is alpinereplay not going to work.Or am I wrong?
Just tried "my tracks" out on a walk. Works well, (elevation readings seemed a bit off, but will experiment more)
(skitrax or ski tracks doesn't seem available on android. guessing they are iphone only )
snow report
Been using ski tracks all week in tignes and have successfully gotten majority of our chalet using it in amazement too. Tia a fantastic app!
ski holidays
GPS SKI MAPS EUROPE has been the best one I have used. It's £15 but like most thing you get what you pay for.
ski holidays
kat.ryb, FiFi_Trixibell, dazman, Does ski tracks need data roaming to be turned on, ie do you get a big mobile bill when using it.............?
snow report
Quote:

kat.ryb, FiFi_Trixibell, dazman, Does ski tracks need data roaming to be turned on, ie do you get a big mobile bill when using it.............?

No it doesn't need data roaming turned on. GPS and data roaming are totaly independent of each other. You can;t view the track on a map unless you use data or get to wifi though. Well, you can see it but it will be on a gray background. Everyone asks this.... SkiTracks shoudl have it in big red letters or something after the name
latest report
I downloaded Ski Maps (No 6) last night really good app if only for viewing piste maps and better using the bigger screen on the iPad. However it claims it can can position you using GPS on the downloaded piste maps, now if it does what it says I will be really impressed.

Nice app and I was expecting in app purchases for the maps, but no they are free. ( I guess they may start charging for them, so I have downloaded everywhere I may ever want top go )
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
As a previous pupil of Darren Turner, I have to vote for the Ski School app. He really is a good instructor. His app was one of the first ski instruction apps and once downloaded, doesn't require data access. Recent improvements mean that you can compare a clip of your own skiing alongside one of the lessons to help you visualise where you can improve.

The Bergfex app is a good universal app for European Ski Resorts although does require data. There are various iSki apps (Austria, Switzerland, Germany, Italy) all requiring data and all somewhat flaky. The MySwitzerland SwissSnow app is quite good, although it does require data.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy