Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Skiing after a hip replacement?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Update!

Just got back from a week in Les Arcs - the new hip worked fine but did like to remind me a few times not to push things too hard. I did ski well within myself and had some padded shorts on just in case I had a fall - I did not get to test them properly I am glad to say.

I may have to try another week later this season to confirm all is okay now Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Hi, Just wanted to add my experiences with hip replacements to the mix! I had the replacement op last August and was back at my job as Ski Instructor in December. Taught 6 days a week and skied the 7th the whole season and have never felt better or stronger! The other hip done 2 weeks ago and all set for the new season. Here in Austria they send you to rehab for 3 weeks following such operations and you get physio, massage, all sorts of treatments which make you feel fabulous! There definately is life after hip relacements Smile
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Hi, D-Love here.

I'm you're hip replacement.

Wink
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Hi there I have two titanium hips the first a resurfaced hip the surgeon a Mr Channa using minimum invasive surgery this was installed 10 years ago two years ago I had the other hip replaced with a short stem. Also by Mr Channa. Both of these hips are the Wright hip and to date I have had no problems. I am a ex BASI 2 I ski to a good level Scottish mogul man I ski about 4 weeks a year but hopefully 4 months soon. Before the first operation I could hardly walk I can thoroughly recommend hip replacement but you need to research the surgeon and the make of hip. Hope this helps
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I've just joined the site and this post makes me happy! I'm 30 and had a full hip replacement in August. My surgeon said he cannot see a problem with me skiing in the future but not before the 6 month mark so I'm crossing all fingers for a trip in February! I've been on websites aimed at people with replacements and so many people have told me I would be stupid to ski ever again due to the risk ... I guess they are non skiiers and do not understand. I will go with what my surgeon says. So happy to hear there are a few skiing hippies out there! Very Happy
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
CP wrote:
That explains why I have bruising from the top of my buttock right down to the side of my right foot - all the colours of the rainbow Toofy Grin

That's also because of the post-op anticoagulants you are most likely on- better the rainbow bruising than a clot! It can be very dramatic though... Hope it clears up soon Happy
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Here I am a month into the new season, 5 months after hip replacement and working as Ski Instructor full time again. All is wonderful and my range of movement is amazing, no pain and skiing every day - so glad I had the op Smile
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
it all depends how fit you are when you have the op. I have had 2 both in May as soon as the season ends and i then ski xmas but was waterskiing by september. I had a brilliant surgeon Mr busch in Chertsey area
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@carolyn, @skigirl21, fantastic - so encouraging to have such positive messages. snowHead snowHead snowHead
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Hello, all, I had a full hip replacement in May, and have made an amazing recovery, but was very very careful during my recouvery period.
i am back dance training 3 times a week plus i am a swim coach and spend many hours in the water per week. I am an avid skier but am
feeling that I will give this season a miss, as i really want it to be completely bedded in and want to get the muscles very strong again.
I was vey fit going into the op and changed my diet to avoid painkillers, it does work.
Any thoughts. Puzzled
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I had my op in the July and I skied the following January. It was fine.

Like you I was very fit going in, and recovered the fitness immediately afterwards.

I would say it is more of a head-thing than a hip thing! If you feel OK about it you'll be fine. If you don't, leave it a season. Or maybe see how you feel in March/April.

If you do decide to go though, honestly, from my experience you will be A-OK.

Oh, I do wear armoured pants now! Just to protect that weakened femur.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
My wife has had both hips replaced and ski's really well, she was back on her planks within 4 months. If you feel able and your set up is good (Boots and ski's well serviced) I'd say go for it!
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I have had both hips replaced in the last two years and have just got back from a weeks skiing in france. I didn't experience any real issues but was just not as fit as I thought I was. By the way I am 70 but slim and play a lot of golf. According to my surgeon you should not ski for at least 9 months after the operation, the issue is one of proprioception, when they remove the hips some of the bodies sensors get removed, so the brain has to relearn where the hips are again and that takes months. The surgeon said that even after 3 months I would be ok to ski in really good conditions but in poor visibility that's when you need other body sensors
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@brigand, excellent news.. welcome to snowheads
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy