Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The moment

Poster: A snowHead
I think this is something Shane McConkey talked about. What's the moment in skiing for you?

For me it's the bottom of a fast wide powder turn when you realise that you're coming out without ever having hit anything harder.

Doesn't happen that often but it feels great when it does.

The anti-moment is when you realise the nice line you'd been eyeing and are committed to is in fact breakable crust or dust on windpolish.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Completing a series of turns on a steep pitch and knowing that everything you've been taught clicked into place, for me, that means commitment and projecting into the next turn and getting on that top ski nice and early. Doesn't matter what the now is like for me, as long as I know that I've skied it to the best of my ability and with the inherent smile on my face. That's the moment.

My anti-moment is when I ski like a doofus on a blue slope 5 minutes later - lack of effort maybe.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
The point at which you realise you're not seriously hurt after an almighty wipeout. wink
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Being well enough balanced at the end of a turn in choppy powder that I'm able to retract my feet underneath me to initiate effortlessly the next turn.

The anti-moment is knowing that I've hacked my shoulders around to start a turn in a desperate attempt to control my speed or line when I've been completely out of balance.

The former promotes spiritual well-being, the latter makes me despise myself.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
When the snow sprays up and slams into your face, covering your goggles and hitting the back of your throat.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
The miniscule moment between the kick out of one turn (preferably in powder) as you almost hover before dropping into the next and repeated all the way down. It's accompanied by a supreme relaxed confidence in that you also know you just cannot and will not fall and so accordingly everything just goes into slow motion. Let's get pretentious and call it zen.

Only ever managed it about three times in my whole skiing life. I thought it's what we all keep chasing year in year out - no?

It's my completley unscientific theory that all sports have this in some way (I've never been good enough at any others to experience it) and top level sportspeople have the ability to hit this zone in their chosen activity time and time again ...lucky bishtards!

My anti-moment would be the rest of my skiing life.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I've always liked this from Andrew McLean

Quote:
In the right conditions, one of the coolest things about steep skiing is that it can almost be effortless as you hardly need to unweight at all to send yourself flying into space on a 50-degree slope. Once you unweight, there is a brief moment when you are suspended above the snow, facing straight down the hill and completely airborne. This is the stuff that causes people to become terminal ski bums.

(although it's a bit more like 45 degrees for me

anti-moment is when it's just a bit too steep/exposed for me and i cak my pants and sideslip Mad
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
It's undoubtedly because I'm a less proficient skier than the majority here (and, er, slightly less good than Shane) but I'm probably in a minority in saying that my moment involves other people, when you have the place competely to yourselves but you're in a group of friends or with your OH, you're skiing like a goddess*, so are your friends, the conditions and surroundings are amazing, and it would just be totally pointless to even try to say anything to each other because it's just so obvious that you're all feeling, "wow, this is just... wow".

* "the moment" being about your feelings and perceptions rather than actual reality obviously.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Going over a crest without hesitation and without breaking your turning rhythm.

The combined feeling of turning while letting your legs follow the terrain is what does it for me. Even better if you can time it so you're looking down the fall-line just before the crest. (Plus of course, safer if visibility is at all dodgy, because you'll be in the perfect position to do a hockey stop if someone/something's lurking just the other side...)
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
For me it's the zen feeling after the initial nerves you get standing looking into a line when you actually commit. The anti-moment is when this doesn't happen and you spent the entire descent over-analysing everything. I get the same with climbing as well the performance difference between the two is pretty noticeable as well.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
b]Arno[/b], "This is the stuff that causes people to become terminal ski bums." Madeye-Smiley O yes!
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I did a dissertation on "Flow", which I think is what "the moment" is probably all about...

just a wikipedia link but might be of interest to some... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flow_(psychology)
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
miranda, that's definitely what I'm talking about.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Hitting early morning fresh overnight powder on piste and skiing it at a decent speed with a lovely rhythm.

Anti - At the end of the above when your mate says that skiing behind you was like following a fooking snow plough.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:

Being well enough balanced at the end of a turn in choppy powder that I'm able to retract my feet underneath me to initiate effortlessly the next turn.

That would indeed be a great moment but not one I've ever experienced. Sad

For me, "the moment" is sometimes on a lift, looking round and taking in spectacularly beautiful surroundings and thinking "actually, it's just about being here, not how good/bad/indifferent I am at skiing".

Forget all those anxious, egotistical, moments of feeling like a god, or despising yourselves!! Lose the self, just savour the mountain moment.
latest report
pam w wrote:

Forget all those anxious, egotistical, moments of feeling like a god, or despising yourselves!!

I think for many people "the moment" is about successfully meeting a challenge that you are completely and utterly immersed in, and the sense of well-being - the lack of anxiety or conscious effort - that comes with that.

I think some moments of frustration when you can't recapture that is fairly normal. Got to feel the lows to appreciate the highs and all that...
ski holidays
clarky999 wrote:
When the snow sprays up and slams into your face, covering your goggles and hitting the back of your throat.

That's not snow Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
snow conditions
miranda, the mountains just help me keep it in proportion "I lift up mine eyes to the hills" wink
ski holidays
Scarpa wrote:
clarky999 wrote:

That's not snow Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

Powder skiing is filthy wink
snow conditions
pam w, you know, if Buddha got out on a powder day and glided down the very steep and very deep effortlessly on a perfect bluebird day, I reckon even he might have a brief moment of thinking "hey, maybe I am a god after all"... wink

TBH, I don't think anyone here actually thinks they're a god or really does despise themselves.
snow report
miranda wrote:

TBH, I don't think anyone here actually thinks they're a god.

Yea right Laughing
snow conditions
pam w has it spot on. One more sleep to go YAY!
snow conditions
queen bodecia, see you at MUC Terminal 2 tomorrow afternoon Toofy Grin sun is coming out for Thursday and Friday too! snowHead Toofy Grin
latest report
pam w wrote:
Forget all those anxious, egotistical, moments of feeling like a god, or despising yourselves!! Lose the self, just savour the mountain moment.
I savour the mountains as well, but for me it pales compared to the actual skiing. I enjoy being in the mountains, being with friends, enjoying the scenery and all the other aspects of skiing holidays, but none of that makes my heart soar like the skiing does Happy
snow conditions
queen bodecia, Enjoy it... sounds as if the snow will be fantastic.
snow report
fatbob wrote:
What's the moment in skiing for you?

latest report
Samerberg Sue, yay, maybe the weather gods like me after all. See ya there hun! snowHead
snow conditions
Effortless carving turns down a freshly groomed run as you race the sunrise shadow back down to the village. I'll never see another run like it and still die happy.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I have two, wanring [proud dad moment coming in a minute]

1, Carving a whole set of turns down Fang in St Anton first run of the morning last March, just after it had been pisted and was a smooth carpet of corn- slush.

2, Same day following my son down Fang at about 4.30 and thinking S#1t, he can now ski properly as he skied down like a demon on massive slushy moguls; about 4 or 5 people stood by and watched as he romped down. I had to stop I was giggling so much....
ski holidays
Frosty the Snowman,
Quote:

Hitting early morning fresh overnight powder on piste and skiing it at a decent speed with a lovely rhythm.

Yesss! I remember doing that twice on Creux in Courchevel - magic. Luckily there was nobody around to tell me I was skiing like a snowplough.
Anti-moment(s) - reverting, as I do quite frequently, to every single bad habit I've worked so hard to eradicate.
snow report
There are lots of 'moments' for me when skiing, which is why I love it so much. Everything from the early morning walk out to the lift with a foot of freshly fallen powder under foot, the feeling of utter freedom only mountains seem to inspire, looking back at the fresh tracks just laid down on your favourite line, to a well earned coffee and pain-au-choc. It's all good until you have to go back home, which is most definitely the anti-moment Sad
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy