Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Les Carroz or La Tania

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
We are a family of 4, all intermediate skiers, who prefer cruising around on blues and reds with great scenery rather than mogully blacks and wild nightclubs. ( Those days are gone!). We also have a great fondness for eating crepes and drinking hot chocolate and vin chaud on the mountainside in the sunshine.

We're booking a holiday for 1st week in april and are deciding between these resorts.
Previously, we've skiied in PDS and love Les Gets and Avoriaz but fancy a change.

Any advice / recommendations, please?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Blondescanski,

Alpe D'Huez - if you like a smaller town stay in Oz-en-Oisan, if you like a big town stay in ADH itself. It is sunny.

3V - La Tania isn't a bad bet IMO. Have a look at Le Praz also.

I haven't been but La Rosiere sounds very suitable for you.

Paradiski - if you want to ski both sides you are better to stay in Les Coches or Vallandry/1800/1600 IMO. Or just stick to one side and then it brings in the La Plagne villages and Arc 1950/2000. You would enjoy this area I am sure.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Big problem here is your date - Its a no brainer really ..... La Tania

Les Carroz is not high and you will need to get acrsos to Flaine - if the snow is bad the links can be horrible ( I wrecked a set of skis last year in March) and the resort pistes not clever ( very slushy and no fun later on in the day). If however the Snow is good it will be great but its a calculated risk

La Tania will give your far more options if there is poor snow later on due to the size and height of the 3Vs ski area

If you like putting the miles in La Tania as the 3vs is spectacular skiing with as many reds and blues as you want - bear in mind the piste back in to LT can get a bit icy

Les Carroz is a lovely village but there is a need to go across to the Flaine bowl for serious skiing as the local terrain could be skiied in a couple of days.

Ive skied both I'd do Les Carroz for a long weekend - for a week the 3Vs and La Tania takes some beating
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Can't comment on Les Carroz but La Tania is low key and suits all your requirements. Great easy access in to Courchevel main, or Meribel and VT/Les Menuires beyond, so there is blue and red cruising to your hearts content - probably worth investing in a 3 valleys pass for extra 40 odd euros (though I suspect you will probably prefer the pistes on the courchevel side)

Choice of red, blue or green back to La Tania at the end of the day - they are snow cannoned, though depending on snow the red might be shut early april (?) but the others should be fine. Most chalets are ski-in-out or within a 3-4 minute walk of the piste.

La Tania is the lower key cheaper end of Courchevel too, so ideal if you're going to be drinking plenty of chocolate chaud or vin chaud at the end of the day. Bouc Blanc (top of la tania gonodola) or the restaraunt at the top of the Dou du Lanches lift (above the la tania gonodola) great places for the chocolate vin chaud stop before heading home. La Tania itself has a a couple of bars, couple of hotel bars, and a few restaraunts, all good. www.latania.co.uk is a very useful resource.

(if you go to any of the other courchevel up-mountain restaraunts though, check the price list before you order - whilst you can do Courchevel for sensible money you can easily pay silly money for a mountainside drink/meal if you blunder in without checking).
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Layne wrote:
Blondescanski,

Alpe D'Huez - if you like a smaller town stay in Oz-en-Oisan, if you like a big town stay in ADH itself. It is sunny.

3V - La Tania isn't a bad bet IMO. Have a look at Le Praz also.

I haven't been but La Rosiere sounds very suitable for you.

Paradiski - if you want to ski both sides you are better to stay in Les Coches or Vallandry/1800/1600 IMO. Or just stick to one side and then it brings in the La Plagne villages and Arc 1950/2000. You would enjoy this area I am sure.

I wouldnt be taking a chance on ADH that late - we are talking April you need to be high and snowsure I was also in ADH last year and watched the resort melt away in a week in mid February

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Tue 24-01-12 13:28; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
ps. if you go for La tania the creperie in Courchevel 1550 under the 1550 gondola station is excellent - La Duceene (sp?) Galette is delicious - (duck fillets and camembert). The creperie on the piste in La Tania (part of la Ferme restaraunt, next door to the snow food kiosk is also very good).
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
marksovereign, last year was a very poor season in general and incredibly poor towards the back end. I went to Les Coches, Paradiski, 9th to 16th April. And it was the worse conditions I've had in 20 years (including go at the @rse end of the season many times). However. they did keep all the links open down to Les Coches and the VE on both sides - and so skied the whole week. ADH/3V/Paradiski will be fine first week in April come what may. They all have lots of skiing above 2000m.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Been to both. Great places, but I got very wet in Les Carroz, when it rained and the snow got very heavy. I would pick La Tania for the obvious date/height/access reasons and also because 4 years ago that's where I bought my son his pint. wink
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Layne wrote:
marksovereign, last year was a very poor season in general and incredibly poor towards the back end. I went to Les Coches, Paradiski, 9th to 16th April. And it was the worse conditions I've had in 20 years (including go at the @rse end of the season many times). However. they did keep all the links open down to Les Coches and the VE on both sides - and so skied the whole week. ADH/3V/Paradiski will be fine first week in April come what may. They all have lots of skiing above 2000m.

Honestly was last season bad ? Toofy Grin
Ive just paid for my skis to be put right Grrrrrrrr

Ive had two of the best hoildays ive ever had in the Grand Massiff when the snow was good - but two of the worst when it wasnt ( last year Mid March was the worst) We stayed in Morillon and the resort run was shut the day we left ( mid March) My point is the 3V has far more options and is more snow sure and Les Carroz is not the place to be late season unless the snow is exceptional
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I have been to both. For that week La Tania. A simple choice compared to the lower resorts. Lots of info at www.latania.co.uk
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Thanks Everyone,

I was worried about the height isuue with Les Carroz so you have confirmed that for me. La Tania it is then (except the chalet I had in mind is no longer available! Oh well!).
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Should have read my son his FIRST pint on my last post. Anyway La Tania would be my option in April.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Was in Les Carroz at the end of March 2010, it snowed a lot during the holiday and conditions were ok, but I wouldn't risk it late on again - we were lucky. It was sunny and 20C as we arrived! Back next week, though, when it should be great.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy