Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Lost baggage

Poster: A snowHead
Just back from an awesome week in Flaine, but had a dose of bad luck on the trip out:

Flew Easyjet from Gatwick to Geneva, but my boot bag didnt turn up. Reported it with Swissport, but it still hasnt been found.

Unfortunately the insurance i took out for the trip doesnt cover baggage (i only took out standard cover - c'est la vie!), and my work insurance is pretty limited

Reckon i have lost close to £900 in kit (boots, helmet, gloves, salopettes, tranceiver, shovel.......)

Anyone with any experience of claiming against the airlines? Am i likely to get any compensation?

Cheers in advance
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Val guide, I recall vaguely that airlines pay a maximum amount per bag, £45 I think but this only from memory. It comes under some Interrnational Transport Law. You might fidn info online, Sunday Times Travel section. Good luck with the claim. Was it EasyJet insurance ?
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Val guide, welcome to snowHeads snowHead - and bad luck. Sad
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Val guide wrote:

Anyone with any experience of claiming against the airlines? Am i likely to get any compensation?

Don't about easyjet but a colleague recently lost his luggage when we were in the US and the airline has been awful, the compensation is laughable and they assume you're going to be claiming of other insurance.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Val guide, welcome to snowHeads snowHead . The airline's liability used to be limited according to the weight of the bag; this typically meant that one couldn't claim more than about £250-£300. However, EU law has changed this and the limit is now closer to £800. There's a EU document on this here.

Under the old system I had real trouble extracting decent compensation (within the limits) from 'Go'; I understand that the airlines aren't very happy with the improved compensation rules.

Do let us know how you get on - good luck!

PS don't accept an offer from the airline that you're not happy with - 'Go' only relented with me when I repeatedly quoted the law and made it clear that I wasn't going to let the matter drop.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Val guide, I'm not familiar with Easyjet's 'working' policy but with most airlines you will recover all of that> I assume everything was reported clearly to Swissport at the time of arrival and you have the appropriate documentation etc.????

Alastair, 's advice is good. You will need to push this hard. Try and get a senior name and telephone number within the organisation whom you can plague if things go slowly (I'll give you one if you are getting nowhere in 3 months) and be persistent - both Handling Agents ( Swissport and Servisair) and Easyjet will 'know' the general area in which it was lost but the main issue is that you need to pursue the airline .... but you will get there and not a small sum.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Well I'm pleased to see it looks like I was wrong, good luck, and now that I realise you are even newer than me, welcome to Snowheads. Smile
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
mike.healy wrote:
Well I'm pleased to see it looks like I was wrong, good luck, and now that I realise you are even newer than me, welcome to Snowheads. Smile

You're not wrong, you're out of date Very Happy I'm not wrong either, but I'd forgotton flights from Switzerland into the US are only covered by the Warsaw Convention rules not the new EU ones. EU rules cover any flight to or from the EU at least. A good example of the EU working well that gets forgotten.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Many thanks for the advice, am a bit more hopeful now

Will let you know how things progress!

Cheers
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
ise, Assuming that your mate was travelling with an IATA airline then they are bound by their rules .... he should have got a PIR from the airline or its agent. The guidelines set down compensation limits for each pce of lost luggage c €500 per piece from memory - but most( if not all) airlines will cough up in full at the end of the day including replacement luggage on top of that figure. All airlines have massive budgets for Lost Baggage compensation - not surprisingly they try and force us down alternative routes etc.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
eEvans wrote:
ise, Assuming that your mate was travelling with an IATA airline then they are bound by their rules .... he should have got a PIR from the airline or its agent. The guidelines set down compensation limits for each pce of lost luggage c €500 per piece from memory - but most( if not all) airlines will cough up in full at the end of the day including replacement luggage on top of that figure. All airlines have massive budgets for Lost Baggage compensation - not surprisingly they try and force us down alternative routes etc.

I think's a certain dollar value for a given weight isn't it? Anyway, the moral of the story is don't fly Zurich to New York Very Happy
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
ise, ??? .....it was Gatwick to Geneva, am I having a Baldwin moment ?
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
mike.healy wrote:
ise, ??? .....it was Gatwick to Geneva, am I having a Baldwin moment ?

Very Happy Very Happy I just meant that the EU rules were new, previously it was just IATA or Warsaw rules.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
mike.healy wrote:
Baldwin moment ?
Puzzled Puzzled Puzzled
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Masque wrote:
mike.healy wrote:
Baldwin moment ?
Puzzled Puzzled Puzzled

Mike Baldwin, Coronation Street.
ski holidays
Masque, I would be watching Eurosport or Discovery but I am married.
snow report
mike.healy, poignant story line though, a formerly together guy totally lost his grip on reality wink
snow report
I think he could be posting on here already!
snow conditions
marc gledhill, ????? or perhaps it's me Embarassed
ski holidays
eEvans, You're Penny...right?
snow report
Scarpa, Yes , who else could I be

Puzzled Hell this place is weird
latest report
Alma?
snow report
Back on track....when my boots were trashed at Lyon a few years ago the airline/handlers refused compensation on the grounds that all the rules exclude sporting equipment. They paid me a measly £16 pounds for the shredded boot bag but zilch for the boots themselves. Evil or Very Mad

Don't know if the new rules are any different but you might find the same problem.
snow report
Hi all looking for advice regarding lost luggage Geneva . My suitcase hasn’t arrived despite rest of family having theirs. Reported to Swissport and am now on way to les Arc 1950 .
has anyone experienced this recently?
Should I contact airline jet2 or wait for swissport?
what’s the likely delay - should I assume I won’t get it back ?
Luckily I have my boots & jacket with me - can I hire clothing at Les arc?
Any advice appreciated
Thanks
snow report
@csmith, I do luggage tracing for a job, so I can help you with this.

Did you create a delayed luggage PIR report at Geneva? If not, get onto JET2's website ASAP and create one.

https://www.jet2.com/faqs?topic=baggage-and-sports-equipment&category=delayed-lost-damaged-baggage-and-lost-property

Put as much information on there as you possibly can. Describe the contents in detail, eg colour, brand etc...

Your bag could be anywhere at this moment in time. ie still at the departure airport or delayed getting onto the carousel at GVA for whatever reason. There's also a chance it may have been tagged incorrectly and misrouted to another airport/country.

Once your luggage is found at an airport, a file will be created with a description of the luggage. It will then be passed on to whoever does the luggage tracing for JET2 - I only do the luggage tracing for Easyjet and TUI, so it's unlikely to come to me, although I do occasionally get a few stray ones.

If the tag has come off, or belongs to somebody else, the tracing team will still try and work out who it belongs to. This is done by trawling through the World Tracer database of reports that have been created by passengers (and comparing contents), in order to try and find the match.

This is why it's absolutely essential to create a PIR report AND to list as many contents as possible. Without a PIR report, the tracer will have virtually no chance of working out who the luggage belongs to, unless of course you have some documentation within the suitcase itself, with at least your name, and preferably your phone number or email.

Which airport did you travel from?
snow report
Just doing a bit more research on the creation of PIR reports (I don't deal with this part), and it looks like you can only create them at the airport.

Please tell me you created one at Geneva...?
snow report
@mikeycharlton, when we were at Geneva a week last Friday. With only 3 of our bags and the fictional statement on display that all bags were delivered to belt, we looked at the lost baggage queue and it made the security queues look positively short!

Thankfully a good while later the belt started moving and rest of the flights bags started appearing. It doesn't feel right that you can only log as missing at the airport Sad
snow report
csmith wrote:
Hi all looking for advice regarding lost luggage Geneva . My suitcase hasn’t arrived despite rest of family having theirs. Reported to Swissport and am now on way to les Arc 1950 .
has anyone experienced this recently?
Should I contact airline jet2 or wait for swissport?
what’s the likely delay - should I assume I won’t get it back ?
Luckily I have my boots & jacket with me - can I hire clothing at Les arc?
Any advice appreciated
Thanks

I had delayed luggage and skis both ways this month. LHR to MUC. Saturday outward flight Tuesday inward flight 10 days later.
I created a PIR with Lufthansa customer services at Munich describing both items very accurately even down to the colour of the padlock attached to each item. As much detail as possible (but only of the outside appearance, they didn’t ask for any information on the contents but I think they do if it goes on a while).
The bag went from LHR to MUC to Vienna to Innsbruck and I collected it from Innsbruck on the Sunday myself otherwise they weren’t going to deliver it until the Monday.
The skis were delivered to my accommodation on the Tuesday having gone from LHR to MUC to Frankfurt to Innsbruck. So they do seem to go around the houses a bit considering I was staying quite close to Munich (but closer to Innsbruck hence why they did that).
On the way home I flew back on the Tuesday and did the PIR on the self service machines at LHR, again giving precise details of each bag. Colour, trim, brand of bag etc. Again there was no request of the contents.
The bag was delivered to my home Friday night and the skis are coming to me any minute now!
They were delivered separately.

I do hope you have registered your PIR with the airline.
It is the airline’s responsibility to look after your luggage and you will be able to claim for emergency items you have had to buy because your luggage is missing like toiletries, underwear, ski hire etc. Whether they give you all of the money or not is another matter.

I don’t know about hiring clobber in Les Arcs, if you buy some salopettes then at least you can keep them or sell them on even if they don’t pay you out for them.
Good luck. The key is the accurate info on the PIR. Keep receipts for everything including the baggage tags with RUSH on them (which they will when the bag is separated from its owner and goes on a different flight). Just keep everything!

Last edited by So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much on Sat 24-12-22 15:06; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
P.S. it’s not a bad idea to list down for your own purposes everything that was in the bag whilst it’s fresh in your mind. It’s easier to do this now when you’ve not long packed than in 6 weeks time.
Hopefully you will get it within a few days though like me.
snow conditions
@NickyJ, actually you can for Easyjet https://mybag.aero/baggage/#/pax/easyjet/en-gb/main-menu

You must surely be able to do so for other airlines too?
ski holidays
@mikeycharlton, you are a fantastically useful chap!! Makes one realise that putting personal details inside case, and having some details of distinctive contents, should be routine.
ski holidays
It depends on the airport for doing the PIR. For example at Heathrow the Lufthansa website wouldn’t let me do it for Heathrow so I had to use the self service machine at baggage enquiries. It would do for Munich though but again I used the counter.
I had Apple Air Tags so I was in both queues early. There are limitations to the Air Tags mind but I could see after an hour the bags were 586 miles away and normally it updates pretty soon after landing if the bag is at the same airport as you.
snow conditions
@pam w, it's absolutely essential. Eventually the suitcase will come to someone like me, and I will open the case looking for any clues.

If I can instantly know who you are, I WILL contact you. You WILL get your luggage back (eventually). You WILL be very happy. And you probably WILL want to send me a bottle of wine.

@VolklAttivaS5, yea the air tags are good. I've had a couple of people turn up at my office telling me that I have their luggage.
snow conditions
mikeycharlton wrote:
@NickyJ, actually you can for Easyjet https://mybag.aero/baggage/#/pax/easyjet/en-gb/main-menu

You must surely be able to do so for other airlines too?

Brilliant! That is good to know. Thankfully all ours arrived in the end, but did leave me wondering. I always have a tag with my name, flight details and destination address attached. Decent metal ones which scarily one was folded in half on way home Shocked to give extra hope / help in getting the baggage to us
snow report
@NickyJ, the destination address can help, but ultimately I'll need to contact you before I can send the luggage out for delivery, which is why phone number and email are more useful. Nothing more frustrating than knowing someone's address but not their phone number.

Flight details can help too, but I only have access to Easyjet and TUI booking systems. Therefore if you've flown with say BA and your luggage comes to me in error (it happens quite a lot), I won't be able to access your contact details.
latest report
mikeycharlton wrote:
@NickyJ, the destination address can help, but ultimately I'll need to contact you before I can send the luggage out for delivery, which is why phone number and email are more useful. Nothing more frustrating than knowing someone's address but not their phone number.

Flight details can help too, but I only have access to Easyjet and TUI booking systems. Therefore if you've flown with say BA and your luggage comes to me in error (it happens quite a lot), I won't be able to access your contact details.

Ok will update my template, yes name, date, flight details and onward address is what i normally put there. Didn't realise that wasnt enough Smile I print all as sticky labels so I can quicklu setup and they are legible (unlike my hand writing!)
snow report
mikeycharlton wrote:

- Never, never out traceable contact details on the outside of your case.Chances of your home or your baggage being the most traceable depends upon who is looking.
- Home details are always a No, No on outside of case.
- EasyJet are regularly poo-poo too .. sorry
- Never use destination addresses .. do you want to tell the World you are not at home? It's not only Mikey who can access your case .
- Receiving stuff 8-15 days after a holiday of any sort is totally unacceptable. Rules should be changed to more than 24 hours and like-for-like replacement ( against a registered carnet/packing list )
- E-Mails are fine ... it is easier (but not impossible) for crooks to chase telephone numbers

I actually never never lock my hold Baggage -- id prefer my hold stuff to be rifled as opposed to my home .... never been sure if that is wise as the crooks don't tell you.
ski holidays
Wow, 16 year bump! Laughing
ski holidays
abc wrote:
Wow, 16 year bump! Laughing
Embarrassing .. Shocked snowHead snowHead Embarassed Embarassed

The re-OP was genuine though ( I think) , just a tad strange to find an old thread (perhaps) to look for help .. ?
latest report
Not so strange to have found the old thread, probably searching?

But to resurrect it? That’s beyond odd.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy