Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Help please with ski length

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi all,

I need some help please. In a nutshell, had a nasty knee injury skiing in Lake Louise 6 years ago. Needed surgery and had a very slow , painful and long recovery.

3 years later I decided to try again. Went back to Lake Louise and hired a private instructor. The first words he said were, " your ski's are too long."
I had some K2 burnin luv and they were 160cm. I'm 170cm tall and weigh about 160lbs.
He put me on a ski lift, to the top of the mountain and made me ski down, not listening to me saying I'd not had a pair of skis on my feet for 3 years....end result was that i was in tears by the time I got to the bottom, and my confidence was completely shot.

3 years on...

I have decided I want to try again, from scratch at ski school, build up my confidence etc.... But knee is still not 100%...ACL is "lax".
I have a custom made brace and I'm happy me knee will hold up, but have been told shorter skis make for easier turns....
So, my question..... Would a 153 or 154cm ski be too short. I have no desire to ski blacks, or off piste. Just want to be able to cruise some easy blues/reds.

Help...please

Meg
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I don't think there is such a thing as skis being too short for a skier as shorter skis are usually easier to control.

Therefore, why not go even shorter after all it's your first real time on skis for 6 years.......... get your confidence, remember how to ski and as you feel the skis are holding you back go back into the ski shop and swap them for some longer ones.

It doesn't matter whether that's in a day, two days, a week or never!!

As for lessons go for an "almost beginners" group... it doesn't matter how good a skier you were.... you're not that skier now and if you're too good for the group they will sonn move you up to the next one.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Megwi,

Sounds like some lessons at "home" before you next go away may pay dividends. The chance to work things in a carefully controlled environment maybe one-to-one may be the best solution as you have skiined in the past. Do you have a local Snow-dome where you could make enquiries?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Megwi, the Burnin Luvs are marketed as a more advanced ski, it may be worthwhile trying something a bit softer in addition to/instead of shorter, too short will be unstable which can be equally confidence sapping.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
As per scooby_simon, Go to your local indoor snow slope build confidence and "ski legs" try some skis in the local shop they have for trial, even if your nearest slope is two hours or more away it is worth it.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy