Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Adventures in carbon skis...

Poster: A snowHead
Well, the tax man apparently owes me some money back and, on the strength of my online tax return, I've sprung for a pair of DPS Cassiar 80s in a lovely Ferrari red colour bought from the very helpful Asa at Chalet Pelerins.

This is an interim report, based on the first three days skiing on them over the weekend just gone.

The skis were skied in heavy powder; really horrible, grabby marbly/soapy snow (I think the French call is "Savon"); heavy powder that had turned into wet crud and heavy slush with occasional patches of ice. The first day was spent free-skiing a mix of conditions including and the other two were instructor training - one day largely off-piste and one day doing more short turns than you can possibly imagine.

Just to provide a frame of reference, I'm currently skiing alpine on Rossignol S3s (which I've been loving); Rossignol S86s, which are a dual telemark / Dynafit setup and Rossignol 9X Oversizes. The Cassiars are a replacement for the latter, to be skied alpine.

It must be said that these aren't the best conditions to get to know a new pair of skis - particularly the horrible, grabby snow - and I don't yet feel like I've settled into the skis. What would have been nice would have been to have a nice, grippy January piste to throw myself down increasingly quickly to get used to how the skis turn and grip. The conditions meant that every run was different, so I'd characterise where I'm up to as "growing affection" rather than "love at first ski".

The first thing to say is that the skis are completely unlike anything else that I've skied on. They even sound different, which is a bit disconcerting.

Things I like...

The skis are torsionally stiff and appear to have ferocious edge hold. (Despite other reviews on the internet) They are

They pivot really easily, have a soft(ish) tip and tail and are going to be a hoot in bumps.

They are really easy to ski in short turns and generate a nice amount of rebound when pushed - without being so demanding that you end up on your back bottom if you don't pay attention.

They are fast edge to edge.

Things that are going to take some getting used to...

They are light. Ridiculously light. I must admit that I hadn't considered the consequences of this.

One consequence is that they're easy to over-pivot because the swing weight is so low.

The other thing is that, unless you drive them, the skis are relatively easily deflected in crud. So you'd better be actively driving them, or paying attention.

The lightness also has an aspect to it that is quite difficult to explain in that they "feel light" on your feet and you feel like you "cut" through the crud, rather than charge through it (as long as you're driving the skis, rather than just standing on them). It feels a bit like being on rollerblades, as opposed to skis. This is a nice sensation, but I'm not yet used to it and it does have a sense of greater vulnerability - a bit like the difference between being in a car and on a motorbike.

As a consequence, I've not yet had the confidence (or conditions) to push them into proper performance long turns. We did some, but only at the end of day three when, frankly, my concentration wasn't really up to the job because of all the technical work we'd done that day.

The last thing I'd say is that they skis felt a little "grabby", although the snow was really weird in places so it's hard to tell how much of that impression is the snow, how much is me not being used to the lightness of the skis and how much is the skis.

That's it for now. More views in a coupe of weeks when I've skied them again in, hopefully, easier conditions.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
a lot of people seem to find DPS grabby when they first use them. some do some detuning; i just got used to it myself. i think it is partly due to their exceptional torsional stiffness

my experience is that DPS like speed so hopefully you'll find the same when you get the chance Cool
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Arno, as you say, it might just be a case of getting used to them.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
FlyingStantoni, interesting...
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
FlyingStantoni, out of interest, why did you go so skinny with DPSs??? slightly tongue in cheek question!

I also found it took some getting used to my first time out on carbon wide rockered skis, it wasn't until my 2nd trip that I started to feel comfortable on them
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
kitenski, because I was more in need of some piste-oriented skis than off-piste ones!
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I wonder if anyone has really disliked DPS skis... do not need, do not need, do not need
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Still holding out for Arno's inevitable decision to move his on to buy a new pair to match his kecks.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Alans deep bath wrote:
I wonder if anyone has really disliked DPS skis... do not need, do not need, do not need

I assume anyone who likes really stiff and damp, with metal layers, crud buster type big mountain planks.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
clarky999 +1.

Alans deep bath, I could imagine quite a few people liking the idea of them, but not the reality of them. I was reflecting this evening that they're quite binary. Drive them and they respond progressively and return energy to you. Stand on them (like many lazy skiers do) and it's not so much that they'll punish you, than they just don't do anything. The Rossi S3s and S86s are much more forgiving in that respect.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
clarky999 wrote:
Alans deep bath wrote:

I assume anyone who likes really stiff and damp, with metal layers, crud buster type big mountain planks.

Ahem.

Kneissl Tankers, DPS 112s. Love them both - perhaps not skiing them right:-)

Although I have the Hybrid DPS, which are said to be less lively.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
horizon wrote:
... perhaps not skiing them right:-)

Or maybe just skilful snowHead
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
clarky999, I just haven't stumbled on any bad reviews, but I've not really been looking.

Sounds like I'd really need to try some. Wonder how long a demo fleet would last at Glencoe Laughing
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Alans deep bath, maybe you could amend clarky999's comment to "anyone who buys these thinking they are getting a really stiff damp etc"

i got my Wailers (both pairs Cool ) having skied race room Legend Pros for a few seasons. I loved the LPs but decided I wanted something a bit easier and more playful. If I was looking for a straight replacement for the LPs, actually Wailer 105s would not be bad, but they wouldn't really be a like for like replacement. You would lose a bit in crud busting, but gain in situations where lightness is good (trees etc). 105s have no problem skiing fast in good snow - in fact they are really really good at that, to the extent that I can't quite decide whether I prefer them to the 112s Shocked
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I rode my 112s (carbon) for the first time last weekend. Day 1 was hardpack and they held on pretty well, given that I was really just hooning around trying to get the feel for them. Lots of feedback underfoot was something I personally enjoyed although I appreciate some might prefer a damper ride.

It snowed all of day 2 so I got to see what they were like on a chair lift with winds gusting 50kph. Sail-like, is the term I'm looking for, I think.

Saturday started bluebird. Lifts shut so there was a race for the fresh stuff as soon as 1 chair opened. Knee-deep, a couple of face shots - they were nothing less than everything I thought they would be.

Unsurprisingly they were less manoeuverable down the Face (Val) at 4:20 pm but that's hardly a curve ball, is it? I just took a line down the of piste to the side through the crud instead, which was, um, fast!

I had them out with Marker Barons on them so the weight differential was a bit lost on me this first time out, but I'll have the Dynafiddles screwed on for my next trip.
snow conditions
FlyingStantoni wrote:
Well, the tax man apparently owes me some money back

careful, that's you first in line for a doin next year then rolling eyes
latest report
horizon wrote:
clarky999 wrote:
Alans deep bath wrote:

Ahem.

Kneissl Tankers, DPS 112s. Love them both - perhaps not skiing them right:-)

Although I have the Hybrid DPS, which are said to be less lively.

Fair 'nuff. Do you find you ski them much differently?

I'm coveting the 99's right now, think they would make a brilliant touring set up with Dynafit. But then I get round to wondering if it might not be best to play safe and go with the 112's...
ski holidays
clarky999, I probably do ski them differently, but not hugely so. They've got more sidecut and reward a more active approach to skiing...but then again I liked working the Tankers, too. One thing that's easier on the DPS is to turn incredibly quickly in the trees.

I think on Pures I would need to be even more balanced and agile on top of them...Hybrids ski somewhere between a metal layer and a pure carbon ski.
ski holidays
Looking at the new 99's as a touring ski and for everyday use , trying to work out the pro's and con's of pure v hybrid in this ski .
As I am new to touring planning on marker baron on quiver killers to do mainly day/short tours .
Interested in people's thoughts on this snowHead
snow report
Alans deep bath wrote:
clarky999, I just haven't stumbled on any bad reviews, but I've not really been looking.

Sounds like I'd really need to try some. Wonder how long a demo fleet would last at Glencoe Laughing

<cynic>Mostly bought by Americans, and who is going to put down $1,000+ and say their skis are bad<cynic>

Greg

PS Obviously not aimed at FlyingStantoni
ski holidays
Neilski,

marshalosen on TGR said:
Quote:
DPS Hybrid vs Pure carbon
first off, yes i have been working for DPS for a bit.

not trying to be a shill, just explain the different ride qualities of the two skis, as not many people have much time on them.... and i get asked all the time about the differences and ride characteristics.

hopefully my impressions help.

PURE skis: are super light, very reactive, and require a technical skier to harness the design goals. the skis are very torsionally rigid, very light, and very powerful, so if you are not on the edges on firm, or the tune is off, they can provide feedback to your feet. the PURE skis are super fun on groomed, and are life changing in legit powder. in heavy chop, mank, wind hammered, etc, they require a skilled and technical pilot; fully engaging and bending the ski. if the pilot and style is there, these skis kill it in chop and mank. but if not: the skis will give feedback if you are making lazy turns in poorer quality snow. this means you are off edge and not applying the diesel. The pure skis also completely rail, and the narrower "all-mountain" skis are a blast. they shred groomed, but are way more versatile due to the low swing weight and pop that 95 and narrower metal laminate skis give up.

HYBRID skis: are still fairly light compared to most race-room quality skis, and i would count these in their midst in terms of materials and finishing. they offer a nice damp ride that is still more reactive and responsive than metal laminate or full fiberglass skis. they have the same flex pattern as the PURE, but are about 400g per ski heavier (on a lotus 120). i think they compare very favorably to a high end rossi/dynastar/salomon in terms of construction. i am very stoked personally on the hybrid. it offers a great ride quality overall, that is more inline with conventional construction skis, but with some nice upgrades that boost the pop and responsiveness of the ski.

anyways, just my .02 - i came away from a bunch of skiing on the hybrids that they are not "lower end" or "price point" to the PURE, but rather are striving for a different ride characteristic and design goal - and will fair well in comparision to other skis on the market.

hopefully this is useful in some manner.

Also worth a read: http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/showthread.php/233531-DPS-Wailer-112RP-Hybrid-or-Pure?highlight=difference+pure+hybrid
snow report
FlyingStantoni, erm, with yellow trousers and green jacket...? Shocked Toofy Grin
snow report
Neilski wrote:
Looking at the new 99's as a touring ski and for everyday use , trying to work out the pro's and con's of pure v hybrid in this ski .
As I am new to touring planning on marker baron on quiver killers to do mainly day/short tours .
Interested in people's thoughts on this snowHead

The Pure range is basically where DPS discriminate themselves from the rest of the market... there aren't a whole load of fancy full carbon ski manufacturers out there (PM Gear springs to mind, anyone else?) which makes the Pures interesting, unusual and certainly cutting edge. Hybrids though, there they're competing with other manufacturers who don't go for the full carbon layup but nonetheless make really nice gear. Plenty more choice and competition here, and there's a much greater chance that you'll find something that's either cheaper than a DPS hybrid, or feels nicer for you, or both.
snow report
I don't know enough about it but don't DPS have some sort of carbon in their Hybrid's too?
snow report
Serriadh, also looking at the pm gear bro , but what do you see as alternative to dps 99 hybrid snowHead

clarky999, cheers, that helps confirm what i had summised , at this point in my skiing the bit of "dampness" in the hybrids could be what i am looking for , and from a touring point of view the extra weight can be off set by the lentgh of ski i would choose and a few other factors
snow report
Pedantica wrote:
FlyingStantoni, erm, with yellow trousers and green jacket...? Shocked Toofy Grin

I would have thought pedant would have been more accurate:
- yellow ski pants
- blue jacket
- lime(ish) yellow boots (that absolutely do not go with the trousers)
- green helmet
- orange poles
- fushia Buff
- red skis

I'm considering a purple jacket. Which would free up blue for "redeployment".

Imagine a skier drawn by a child in crayon with the objective of using every single colour available to them...
snow conditions
Neilski, I have Lhasas with Dukes and Quiverkillers, seemed fine to me on the 2 30min skins I did last season!
snow conditions
clarky999 wrote:
Neilski,

marshalosen on TGR said:...

Really useful cross-post clarky999, thanks.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
kitenski, is that the set up for japan snowHead

FlyingStantoni, sorry for the slight high jack , but dont need much excuse to talk exotics Toofy Grin
latest report
Neilski, yes indeed, all waxed and ready to go Very Happy
latest report
Neilski wrote:
Serriadh, also looking at the pm gear bro , but what do you see as alternative to dps 99 hybrid snowHead

Well, continuing the fancy American ski theme... ON3P Vicik, Praxis backcountry, Moment Tahoe? Bit of a variety there, but they all fit into your price range Toofy Grin Bit of a vague question to try and answer, though. 100-ish mm ski, not super rockered, no metal... that's a pretty broad category right there. Everyday and sorta touring, maybe... that doesn't narrow it down a whole lot either!

Me, I'd probably look at last year's K2 Hardsides, but that's mostly because I have other things to spend money on Crying or Very sad

Anyway, yeah, thread-hijack. I'll get my coat.
snow report
If you're looking at something stiffer/damper like/than the hybrids, the Moment Belafonte is probably a closer fit than the Tahoe. Blizzard Bonafide maybe. A little fatter, but Whitedot Directors probably fit the bill too.
snow conditions
Serriadh, thanks for the list, sorry for being so vague but new to this backcountry gig, so have to start some where , can now do some reasearch and then come back (on a new thread wink ) with some more specific questions and requirements, but its hard to get past the simplistic beauty of the wailers snowHead

one quick question before i go , what thoughts of using these to fit the bill http://www.powdermag.com/buyers-guide-2011/2011-kastle-mx108-skis-hugo-harrisson-pro-model/

they are 100mm+ a bit/slightly rockered(early rise)/no metal / big radius ??????

clarky999, cheers to .

no more hi jack will shove off now Cool
snow report
Neilski, what are the other Kastle's you have?
ski holidays
Mx108 177cm 2011 http://www.powdermag.com/buyers-guide-2011/2011-kastle-mx108-skis-hugo-harrisson-pro-model/
Mx 88 168 cm 2010 http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=85459&highlight=

The mx88 for sale to finance the intro into backcountry touring set up, which could be to fit the 108's with baron bindings to make a one ski quiver , but concerned they may be a bit wide for normal resort use, also added to my maybe list is the FX 94 which could fit the bill
ski holidays
Neilski, personally, I'd stick some touring bindings on the MX108s.
latest report
Alans deep bath, Might be a plan , especially ias they are inserted for marker jester ATM , could maybe put some inserts in for a light weight touring binding , giving best of both worlds snowHead
snow conditions
Is it possible to demo DPS anywhere (near Chamonix would be ideal) or have those of you who've bought simply done so after a lot of research? It seems a lot to drop without a ride. I'm guessing the 99 hybrid would be what I'd be interested in trying.
snow report
Wailer 112RPs are availble from here:

http://www.chalet-in-chamonix.co.uk/

so I'd guess they're your best bet. Drop them a line?
snow report
Thanks galpinos, I'd heard that someone had bought a few pairs of pure Wailers for resale last season - is this them or a more 'official' set up? Either way, I'll ask - thanks for the tip.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy