Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

USA/Canada end Feb/March 2013- where to go

Poster: A snowHead
Still got one more ski holiday this year but already planning next year! Very Happy

We have been thinking about a 2 week trip to USA or Canada last few years but not sure where.

Initially thought Banff- relatively easy to get to and seem to be good packages through TOs. My only concern is the daily bus trips- do they significantly reduce skiing time per day? Or is it worth it to cover the different areas

Had a look at Aspen which looks good- looks a bit of a nightmare getting there though- will have to go via London and then long transfer at other side. Also may bit rahter pricey. Like sound of nicely groomed quiet runs.

Had thought about Breckenridge but unsure due to risk of being affedcted by altitude.

We are intimediate skiers (blues to blacks). Enjoy biggish ski areas, preferably not busy runs. Will probably get some lessons and maybe do something a bit more adventurous.

Thoughts were we'd prefer a package deal so don't have to think about anything when get off flight- just get on bus and be deposited at accommodation.

Also probably ski for 10 days so would be looking for somewhere with other things to do/ places to go on non skiing days.

Any advice much appreciated..we've got planty of time to be thinking about it!

MCL
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
we are heading off to Whistler and Sun Peaks End of Feb and Early March for a week in both resorts. Reasoning is that we had looked at Breckenridge but were unsure about altitude as initially we were only looking for 10 days and everyone we spoke to said you need a few days to get used to the height

We have had friends ski Banff and love it but again same concerns as you re travlling

BTW there were some good deals on whistler no long ago
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
rob and sharon,

Hope you have a great time!

Yes I'd also been looking at Whistler too- looks a great ski area!

Let me know how you get on!
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Hi MCL,

Whistler is the place for you given your brief. It's 600m above sea level so not going to offer any ill effects. Huge ski are by North America standards and certainly enough to entertain you for 10 days. There is plenty to do off the slopes, the resort is pedestrianised so no buses necessary. We've been the last 2 yrs and are returning in March for 15 nights. We use Ski Safari who book everything for us, we simply turn up at Heathrow, jump on the plane to Vancouver, we're then met by a bus and 2 hrs later we're in resort. Lift passes deposited at your accommodation's reception, equipment hire in hotel if needed. Easy !

PM me if you want specific advice.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
MCL wrote:

We have been thinking about a 2 week trip to USA or Canada last few years but not sure where.

we've got planty of time to be thinking about it!

Lovely time warp you have there... Laughing
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Obvious choices are Whistler (never been there myself) or Vail (suffered huge queues there several years back on a day trip from Breckenridge) as they're the largest areas in North America. But they (allegedly) also attract big crowds so I've tended to stay away.

Why not look at Big Sky instead: endless, completely deserted groomers with plenty of gnarlier stuff to upgrade to, but not a lot else to do there. You would get the chance to go for a totally awesome winter day trip to Yellowstone, though.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
You could look for ski areas with clusters of resorts, e.g. Tahoe (California/Nevada border) and Utah. Just back from Park City, Utah myself, and a frequent visitor to the Tahoe area. Somewhere central in Colorado might be good too, though I've only been to one of the more isolated Colorado resorts. From what you say Tahoe might suit best, because you could have a couple of days in San Francisco at beginning or end of trip. Let me know if you'd like more info on Tahoe or Utah.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I'm far from an expert but I'll offer a few thoughts. If you rent a car and are willing to drive to resorts the Park City and Tahoe suggestions are pretty good. Park City is a nice resort town with quite a lot of off slope options. Salt Lake City is only a half hour or so on good roads. There are 3 resorts in Park City on the bus routes (The Canyons, Deer Valley (does not allow snowboarders), and The Canyons). All three are fairly large. Alta/Snowbird/Solitude/Brighton are 50-minutes to an hour drive from PC. Snowbasin and Powder Mountain are probably a little over an hour from PC. And if you want to spend a day at a very pretty, albeit small with old lifts, you're only about 35 minutes from Sundance (owned by Robert Redford). In short, tons of skiing with usually a very good snow record. I've not been to Tahoe but again it's an area with a cluster of resorts on the North and South Shores. Utah is usually very reliable with respect to snow, and while they've gotten pretty good snow in the past couple of days it's been a low snow year. By reputation the Tahoe areas are more feast or famine with respect to snow. Until just now Tahoe has had one of their worst snow years on record. None of that means anything for 2013. Never been to Aspen but I think it would be a solid choice. This is MY OPINION only - but I think the village at Vail is pretty soulless. Kind of a fake feeling purpose built village with an interstate running right through it. We enjoyed the skiing at Vail a lot. We've stayed in downtown Frisco and really liked it -- about 6 miles to Copper Mountain (convenient by bus), 10 miles to Breckenridge (doable by bus but we drove), 15 miles or so to Keystone (also doable by bus but even less conveniently), 18-20 miles to Arapahoe Basis (very high, gorgeous, retro, probably best on a bluebird day), 30 minutes or so by car to Vail, and a bit further to Beaver Creek. I'd keep Banff on your list -- a place I really want to go. Frisco is over 9000 feet and altitude issues are possible. Everyone I've talked to who has been say the scenery is stunning. I'm curious about how off putting folks find the buses as well because it keeps my wife from really being enthusiastic. And I'd consider Whistler.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
MCL wrote:
rob and sharon,

Hope you have a great time!

Yes I'd also been looking at Whistler too- looks a great ski area!

Let me know how you get on!

It does have a great ski area and must admit Blackcombe is probably better in many ways as doesn't get as busy.
The only down side is the price. Though it has the advantages of 2 hours from Vancouver airport, very good bus service which means you are never more than 15-20 minutes from a lift and lots of places to eat,drink and be merry
oh yeah some good skiing and very good instructors
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Thanks for the suggestions eveyone. Lots to looks at!

I like the look of the ski safari. Think we would be happy driving bertween a few places- assuming big roads and easy to get about.

Currrently drawn towards places accessible from Calgary as can fly from Manchester (meaning no addiotional flight to London).

Like the look of the Rockies Loop on Ski safari- maybe 5-6 days in banff and doing the ski resorts accessible from there (would have to put up with daily commute)and then a few days each in 2 other places- Kicking Horse, Fernie or Panorama. doesn't look too long a drive between them either.

Whistler ski safari looks great too!

If only I had loads of money and didn't have to go to work! rolling eyes
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
MCL,

What's with the aversion to bus trips? Everyone seems to think it's a negative point about the Banff area ski hills, but personally I 've never found it a problem the 6 times or so that I've visited this area. I've certainly never considered it a negative point.

If you get the earliest bus (and it's very easy to get up early after the East>>West flight and time differential) you'll be at the hill before the lifts open even if you go to Lake Louise (45-50 minutes). The Sunshine bus is only about 20 minutes, and the Norquay bus about 10. - Then at the end of the day, you can get the last bus back (after the lifts close), and take in the scenery (spectacular).

What ARE negative points are:

Under-occupancy supplements in TO deals - most of the Banff accommodation is based on hotel rooms with 2 beds, but the TOs specify these rooms as accommodating 4 people, and impose an extra charge.

Changes to the bus schedules - these have been the subject of some concern, lately(there's an old thread about this, somewhere. No doubt someone who's visited more recently than I can update you on this), so your choice of accommodation might be quite important in ensuring a convenient transfer.

The ongoing legal dispute at Sunshine Village between the management and their ski patrollers (again, see threads passim): do you really want to support a ski area ownership who treat their staff like this?
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
MCL, Another vote for Whistler here. We keep looking at going somewhere else but we ended up going back 5 years in a row. It is not a bad flight and direct from Heathrow. If you do I would use Air Canada over BA as you arrive earlier in the day so there is time to get the gear and settle in before early bed. The village is great for walking round as it is fully pedestrianised with many restaurants/bars

The mountain is huge but it all goes up from the same place (if you are in the village) there are 2 others for Blackcomb and Creekside. No hassle about getting round or back to whee you started. They do a thing called Ski Esprit which is 3,4 or 5 days long in groups of 6 to 8 matched to capability at a very good price. Cross between a guide round the mountain and helpful teaching. You also get priority on the lifts.

As there are no cars in Whistler there is no point in getting anything else than a transfer (just over 2hrs) or you will be paying huge parking cost.

Then there is Vancouver to have a look at if you wanted that non-ski time. We generally go a little later than you are thinking of and at that time the valley trails are all tarmac but I guess they will be snow covered when you are there. You can "walk" them with snowshoes if you want a day off skiing (but why would you).

Cheapest deals finish end of Nov if you are doing things direct but if you want a TO there will be deals all the time as they think they can't sell something. We usually use Ski Independence but last year Virgin beat them and even though "they will match any price" they declined too ! You may find some mileage in DIY if so check out Alura.com for rentals - I think for a 2 week stay it may work out cheaper.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Hi all...Qs for those who have skiied in Whistler...

- Roughly how much is the total spending for a 12 or 14 night holiday (inc. air fares, transfers, accomodation, ski hire (inc boots), ski pass, food, etc)?

- Is it suitable for beginners??? OH is still not relaxed in the slopes....

- Is Ski Esprit the same as group lessons (ESF similar)???

Would really appreciate you thoughts....

I am itching to squeeze another week skiing in March 2012 if new employer agrees with another week off work Toofy Grin
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
redbaron51 wrote:

- Roughly how much is the total spending for a 12 or 14 night holiday (inc. air fares, transfers, accomodation, ski hire (inc boots), ski pass, food, etc)? Potentially very large- definitely most expensive in Canada

- Is it suitable for beginners??? OH is still not relaxed in the slopes.... Yes but better bang for your buck elsewhere

- Is Ski Esprit the same as group lessons (ESF similar)??? About as close as you get in North America for multi day group lessons with same instructor

I am itching to squeeze another week skiing in March 2012 if new employer agrees with another week off work Toofy Grin
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
redbaron51 wrote:

- Roughly how much is the total spending for a 12 or 14 night holiday (inc. air fares, transfers, accomodation, ski hire (inc boots), ski pass, food, etc)?

- Is it suitable for beginners??? OH is still not relaxed in the slopes....

- Is Ski Esprit the same as group lessons (ESF similar)???

- 2 weeks would be about £2000 to £3000 each at a wild guess depending on standard of hotel and were you eat out. You can put the dates in to crystal and that will give you the total holiday cost (plane, transfer, accommodation) then you can get ski/boot hire price from Sumit hire website, ski pass is available off the WhistlerBlackcomb website. Then all you have to cover is food. We do breakfast in the room as the hotel we stop in has a kitchen (Delta) lunch on the mountain is $10/$15 each, evening is $20/$100 each depending where you go. Or you can get a pizza takeout ! Bars are not that expensive if you are used to Europe prices.

- Whistler mountain is the best for beginners. There is a very flat wide open run on Olympic that is great for beginners and very quiet as it is a slow chair. This is just off the Main Gondola (have a look at the piste map download) at mid station. Then if you go up to the top there is Ego Bowl specially marshalled as a slow area and it is huge. Many other green runs some more adventurous than others in places. If you want a full list happy to rate them all if needed - but if you are in lessons they will take you where you are capable. *** If she is nervous do not ski Upper Olympic as tis is a nightmare funnel at the end of a day. Go up and take the Gondola down it is sooooo much easier if nervous. Same with the run to the village they get busy. *** note both of these are actually nice runs if there is less people about but they get too busy at lunch time or end of day.

- Don't know what ESF is but Ski Esprit is groups of like able skiers who are taken over the mountain and give some teaching to help them improve. A level 3 is some one who can get down a green. They split this in to low, mid and upper. Upper will be on easy blue runs (note there are no reds) so these will be like red runs in places. Level 4 is Blue getting on to Blacks and loads of mileage. Friend (lady) we go with has been going in to a mid/upper level 3 for the last 7 years as she does not want to get any better and is happy with the people to ski with.

- You can also get super groups which are good for a starter this is a max of 3 and often less. Also grouped in to levels so that you are always with people of the same standard. Go wild and get a half day one2one for the best help.

Hope that helps.
snow conditions
Jake43 wrote:

- You can also get super groups which are good for a starter this is a max of 3 and often less. Also grouped in to levels so that you are always with people of the same standard. Go wild and get a half day one2one for the best help.

Hope that helps.

Not sure whether they still do supergroups as the have introduced "Max-4" day lessons on Whistler this year which are kind of self describing Happy
Personally I preferred ski esprit to one day lessons, as having the same instructor and group for several days means you can progress more and it is a nicer social thing.
With regard to general suitability for beginners, there are better places to learn in Canada (ie quieter, more terrain suited for beginner level skiing), but probably not to progress. Our 3 year old will hopefully be onto to skiing the mid mountain (Green Acres) this weekend.
The other thing as a beginner to note is that all the lifts have a green way down which means (as we did some time ago) you can take your friends to the top of the mountain and show them all the same places (e.g. the Peak Chair for Black Tusk) and take your choice of route down.
snow conditions
stuarth wrote:
Jake43 wrote:

Hope that helps.

Not sure whether they still do supergroups as the have introduced "Max-4" day lessons on Whistler this year which are kind of self describing Happy
Personally I preferred ski esprit to one day lessons, as having the same instructor and group for several days means you can progress more and it is a nicer social thing.
With regard to general suitability for beginners, there are better places to learn in Canada (ie quieter, more terrain suited for beginner level skiing), but probably not to progress. Our 3 year old will hopefully be onto to skiing the mid mountain (Green Acres) this weekend.
The other thing as a beginner to note is that all the lifts have a green way down which means (as we did some time ago) you can take your friends to the top of the mountain and show them all the same places (e.g. the Peak Chair for Black Tusk) and take your choice of route down.

I stand corrected looks like they have shaken it up a bit maybe trying to get value ? Max now 4 not 3 although it could be less. http://www.whistlerblackcomb.com/snowschool/adults/max4/index.htm

They still do the Ski Esprit - which I too prefer but they have hidden it under Adult Camps... why put it there on the website? http://www.whistlerblackcomb.com/snowschool/adult-camps/index.htm.
Great apres at a different location every evening and they don't mind if you crash the party if the OH is only one in Esprit.

Very good point about every lift having a green way down too.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy