Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Vallee Blanche in an afternoon...

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Afternoon all,

Off out to Cham this weekend and we're thinking of doing the Vallee Blanche on Saturday afternoon. Basically one of the guys in our group wants to watch the Liverpool Man U cup tie so we thought we might ski in Brev/Fleg in the morning, drop him off in town and then do the VB. We'll obviously be looking for a guide as well, are they available just for the pm? (meet at the Aig. du Midi cable car at c.1pm for example...) Is this feasible? Will we be cutting it fine with the light etc?

Thoughts from the benefit of your combined experience gratefully received!

(FYI - we can't do it in the morning as the guy who wants to watch the footy is the weakest skier in our group and probably not up for the VB, the rest of us are much more experienced)
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Show some tough love and leave him to his own devices for the day. He can practise on his own and watch the match in peace.

Don't compromise your VB experience! I doubt you would get a guide for such a time anyway.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
jma, get the guy to get a lesson in the morning whilst you all go and ski the vallee blanche. I'm as sure as I've ever been when I say that I wouldn't let my ski holiday be dictated to by someone who thinks that watching a football match is more important than skiing!!! There's another 51 weeks of the year for watching football!
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
You might get a guide if he has done another gig in the morning. If you are at the cable car for 13h00 you won't actually be on the VB until 14h30, I think you might find that a bit of a rush, I would ask a guide or guides office what they think.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
You can certainly get a guide for the afternoon but they prob view the VB as a premium and want their €300 or whatever, whether you take them for the full or a half day. As per the route it depends how fast you and your guide want to go, I'd say its easily doable in two hours including the lift up, three is prob a more realistic target. When I did it we paid the guide a set fee for the day and then went up Gran Monte after lunch for the afternoon, which was highly enjoyable (in fact better than the VB imo).
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I've done it a morning. Well 9.30 - 2.00 I'd guess, from memory. But that leaves a much greater margin for error / mishap.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I once cut a days skiing short to watch a rugby match on TV. England lost to Wales. Sad

I vowed I'd never bother scrapping skiing for TV sport again. I certainly wouldn't do it for a crappy Wendyball match. snowHead

Also, after the match where did all those Welsh rugby shirts appear from in St Anton? I guess they took them just in case and hurriedly unpacked them at the last minute... Puzzled
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
It's a lot safer in the morning. It's colder and the snow bridges stronger. It's warm in Chamonix at the moment, next weekend who knows. Do it in the morning, take your time and enjoy it to the max.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
How much experience would you need to do it? I've been skiing for 20 years (1-2 trips/ yr), but don't really do off piste. Would love to do it though
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Did the Vallee at about 2pm last week, walked the arrete on our own, skied the Plan Enver on our own. Literally only saw one other soul (a paraglider) until we caught up with a crowd at the ice steps out. Much quieter on an afternoon as the organised groups do mornings.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
johnboy wrote:
How much experience would you need to do it? I've been skiing for 20 years (1-2 trips/ yr), but don't really do off piste. Would love to do it though

Unless it snows the night before it gets bashed to a piste-like state anyway. It's a very easy run, with a guide to show you the way it is doable by just about anyone who can get down a blue run confidently. If you are en experienced off piste skier the regular route is a let down - one of the alternatives (envers du plan, vrai VB) are a much better bet.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Thanks all for the various advices - On balance, I think we'd want to take our time and savour the experience rather than rush down it and that wouldn't really be fair on the one guy who's not up to it - even if he does prefer watching football to skiing! I think we'll wait and see what the weather's going to be doing nearer the weekend - doesn't look too great at the mo so we'll probably end up in Les houches or popping under the hill to Courmayeur on the Sat.

shoogly, I'd never compromise a days skiing to watch sport - least of all football - just trying to keep everyone in the group happy.

Ski Tyke, I know exactly what you mean! Where DO all the Welshies come from in resort during the 6N? Suddenly couldn't move for gloating red shirts and bread-of-heaven after we'd been pumped (again) by Ireland! Very glad not going out on a 6N weekend this year - don't think I could contain myself with all the gloating when we lose to Italy away - England'll be lucky to finish 4th this year Sad
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy