Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Feb half term tunnel to Geneva

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Our usual route out to Chatel is firmly engrained in the memory and followed pretty much on auto-pilot (Reims, Troyes, Langres, Dole, Besancon, Pontarlier, Vallorbe, Lausanne, Monthey and over the pass) and has served us well over the years.

This year my daughter is on an exchange with a school in Geneva the week before half term so we are picking her up from Veyrier (just South of Geneva) on Saturday 11 Feb (probably around 14.00). What is the best route?

I was thinking to head via our usual route to Dole then via Bourg en Bresse - Nantua - turn off just before the Autoroute Blanche. Essentially the route that I guess all the Chamonix, Grand Massif, Morzine/Les Gets regulars would take. There is another possibility through the Jura (Dole, Champagnole, Nyon and then through Geneva) but I've never tried that one. Beaune - Macon is also a possible.

Any thoughts? Any pitfalls that can be avoided? I'm tending towards the first route and just taking a chill pill as it is bound to be pretty busy. I must say, though, that it irritates me to pay a toll to stand in a queue.

I hate the traffic in that area around Annemasse which I will need to negotiate to get from Veyrier to Chatel. It always seems to get clogged up with no obvious alternative.

Still, probably only tied to half term for one more year!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
If it was me I would go a day or two earlier, decamp in Chatel and then go and pick her up on the Saturday. That gives you lots of slacktime to cater for unexpected events. You could avoid Annemasse by driving through Geneva
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
BergenBergen, Sadly I'll be in the office on Friday 10th. Nice idea though!
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I have done the Champagnole route over the Jura into Geneva once and its never tempted me since. Its not as straightforward/simple as the Besancon/Lausanne route, its do-able but you may also run into traffic heading up to the Jura ski stations. I think you will have to endure the autoroute, but on the bright side, I dont think half term co-incides with the Paris holidays this year.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I like the route over the Jura, although if snow is forecast I wouldn't advise it. I don't think it is any quicker than your normal route, but it is quieter and prettier. Geneva traffic is variable, but in the day is not normally too bad.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:

we are picking her up from Veyrier (just South of Geneva) on Saturday 11 Feb (probably around 14.00).

Skullie If I were you I'd leave it till a fair bit later. The roads will still be v busy then but the rush into resorts will be dying down by about 5 pm.

the champagnole route over the Jura is pretty straightforward - and there have been some recent road improvements which have reduced some bottle necks. But I wouldn't use it if it's snowy. I find it so much more interesting than the motorway that it seems to take less time (though it doesn't) and is definitely cheaper. But I've driven it on any Saturday, let alone one of the big changeover Saturdays.

But on that Saturday, frankly, nothing is going to be plain sailing.

I'd definitely give beaune-Macon a miss - I hate the A6. Evil or Very Mad
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy