Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Goggles for POC Receptor Backcountry

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
So I finally decided to part with a great big wedge of cash for a shiny new POC helmet, which is very nice
I did try it with A-Frames (my current goggle collection) in the shop, and decided they were an ok if not perfect fit. Unfortunately a few cold breezy weekends of chairlift rides have proven otherwise and I need to resolve the problem before I get permanent forehead frostbite! Happy
One solution is to go down the DIY shop and get some draft excluder, but a slightly less cheap solution is to splash out on some new goggles...

Being that sunny days are somewhat rare here, I mostly ski with an Oakley HI Yellow iridium lens, and am generally very happy skiing this in all conditions, including sunny days. Unfortunately it sems all Oakley frames suffer from being a bit curvey and having the hard bit of the plastic frame protuding so the foam doesn't fill the gap on a helmet that is less curvey (worked perfectly with my Giro helmet), so I'm looking for alternatives.

The main criteria are:
- Fits well with POC Receptor Backcountry Helmet
- Has an excellent low-light lens, but idealy not too bad in slightly sunny weather too
- Good field of vision
- Good anti-fogging

I looked at the POC lobes which of course meets criteria 1 fine, but apart from being a bit pricey, I wasn't totally convinced by the lens colour, and I don't know much about how good their goggles really are.

Any thoughts suggestions gratefully received

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Mon 23-01-12 19:15; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Smith I/O? Nice big size should fill the gaps.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
stuarth, if the Electric EG1s fits your helmet / face go for it. The 's' is important BTW, it's for spherical. I used to be a real lens swapper but after getting the latest EG1s I can wear the same lens all of the time, sadly I can't remember the name of the lens Sad Kindof fire / orange on the outer surface, pinky / orange when looking through.

I was up the Peak last week, really poor vis so me and the "crew" compared lenses. The Electrics destroyed Smith and Dragon 'low vis' specials.

They can be had for pretty cheap down on 4th
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
MrsH has smiths with the sensor mirror and seems to think they are ok, though a few others have said the lens isn't as good as the oakleys - different people, different opinions opinions I guess.
parlor I'll take a look at the Electrics. Having looked at their website, I'm trying to narrow down the lens; are yours the bronze based ones with the mirror finish (perhaps http://www.electricvisual.com/products/snow-goggles/2011-2012/spherical/spherical-lens/bronze-red-chrome/ ) or the orange without mirror or something else?
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Went out and got some Electric EG2s (the other goggles that fit really well were the Von Zippers (forgot the name!), but wasn't quite so keen on the lenses). 4th was indeed the place to go Happy
They are fairly gigantic, but fortunately(?) I also have an oversized head to put them on Happy

Now just need to work on POC to send me something that actually works properly as a goggle clip (this incidentally was the problem with Smith IOs - not the goggles themselves but the goggle clip that wouldn't work with the clasp on the Smith goggles)...

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Thu 26-01-12 7:22; edited 2 times in total
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
stuarth, sweet. I like the EG2s too, obviously I try not cover up quite as much of my face given how handsome I am. Bronze Red Chrome it is. IMO better than Sensor in low vis, and no need to swap them out! Enjoy!
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
stuarth, yeah what is it with POC? - brilliant helmets, crappy goggle clip. Have problems with the clip on my Skull Light.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Richard_Sideways,
I did ask POC this directly, and to their credit the head of product design there did get straight back to me and take the time to explain that they designed it as a bike and ski helmet (didn't realise that was the case for Receptor Backcountry, let alone Skull) hence the removable clip. They also think the clip is somewhat unnecessary since their goggles have silicone on the straps - however my Son's Pocito helmet has a good clip and googles with silicone backed straps and he definitely still needs the clip to be there.
I tried to convince them that that I think they need to do something better, and when they have please can they send me one. Maybe if all POC helmet owners email them and tell them they will relent Happy (If you want to weigh in with an email, the contact details for the head of product design are on their website under the contact us - poc hq section)

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Thu 26-01-12 22:19; edited 3 times in total
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
stuarth, might just do that - Missus was clearing out the bags after getting back from our trip last weekend and wandered up saying "Whats this?" Clip had come off and was in the bottom of the board bag...
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
yeah already lost one pair of goggles because of no clip..also the hottest helmet i ever owned.. Smith Phenom fits perfectly.. beenusing the high iridiums all season and not that bad in low light compared to the same lense in the anthems previously..though gold sensor is the best low light to general lense i've tried
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
papasmurf, hottest? What model do you have? I've found the POC the best ventalated lid i've ever owned, not too hot, not particularly sweaty.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
receptor bug or what ever its called..thge one that every git has nowadays...steaming hot on the par with the giro bad lt i had a few years ago..and that had no vents.. just got a smith vantage which is far better vented and has a decent goggle clip! PLus found the poc vents ice up and the pads don't last that long either without a bit of super glue
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy