Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Chamonix or Alpe D'Huez in April?!

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hey

Four mid 20 year olds going away 1st/2nd week in april and have found a chalet in Chamonix and Alpe D'Huez. The only problem we have now is deciding where to go.

Read alot of reviews about the slopes in Cham being pretty tough. I am roughly an intermediate boarder but lack confidence at times - so don't fancy ending up on a blue that is practically a red. However, Cham is massive so there's bound to be something, plus has alot to offer beside the slopes.

Alpe D'Huez looks pretty good and has a much higher altitude as a baseline so thought with the time of year the snow would be more likely? The piste map looks pretty good too, plenty blues that are actually blues.

Any advice?

Thanks in advance Smile
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Both are good in their own ways. It sounds to me like you would get more out of ADH at your level in that the pistes are better linked than at Chamonix. ADH also has the nice aspect of basically getting harder the further up the hill you go.

Going in April could be tricky in both places. If you are unlucky, a lot of stuff near the resort could have melted at ADH; similar could have happened to the Brevent/Flegere areas in Chamonix. However, both are high altitude and are relatively reliable at that time of year.

Chamonix has a much better town if you are actually in Chamonix itself. ADH itself is pretty unremarkable, although it has good non-skiing facilities and great views on a nice day
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
boardgirl, I odn't rate Alpe d'Huez late in the season myself - all faces south and tends to solid ice in the mornings and knee-deep slush in the afternoons. The slush thing is fun on a board, but you wouldn't generally want to go out before about 11:30.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Done a season in each, both great places for different reasons.

If your into travelling as an experience, Chamonix is a place you should go. You need to move about the valley so really get taken in with the Chamonix atmosphere. In April I'd expect a few early finishes and sitting outside a bar in town taking in the stunnin' views and historic surroundings. Some good night's should be had with the end of season vibe! It WILL make you want to come back when the snow is better!

If your more for late nate night party's caining drinks promotions, before getting up late and grabbing the nearest lift (which should be within 10mins walk of most places in AdH) and then taking in the STRONG Sun's rays in a mountain hut or with a can just off piste...Alpe d'Huez is for you! You can still have a couple of serious riding days but some of the lower lifts will have closed down and runs like the Sarenne will almost defo be shut. AdH does have a park though, so if thats up your street it might sway you!

I'd prob go Chamonix...!
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
boardgirl, are you booking through a TO?

If your doing it DIY the airport and flight/transfer prices might dictate where to go. Geneva/Cham tends to come out cheaper than Grenoble/AdH for me usually!
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
ADH often doesn't hold up too well in the spring; its high but almost entirley south facing. I've been to L2A in spring twice and both times friends took the trip over on the receprical pass deal to ADH and reported back it wasn't worth it and was super slushy.

Why limited to just those two resorts? Aim for altitude in April, high high high. Val D / Tignes / Val T....?
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy