Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Skis cheap or expensive in Canada? If i buy new skis in canada, must i pay tax on them in the UK?

Poster: A snowHead
Hi guys

Really want to buy my first pair of skis- but have convinced myself that i should demo a few first and buy them out there. Im out there for a month so its worth doing right!

So i have 3 questions please Smile

1) Are skis cheaper or more expensive in canada vs the UK?

2) On leaving canada- can i claim the canadian tax back on skis that i buy?

3) On returning to the UK- do i have to pay tax on the skis? Import tax perhaps?!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
3 yes
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
1) Possibly - particularly if you are happy with last season's model/graphics etc
2) Not any longer
3) Yes, if they cost more than the import limit, you are supposed to declare this on arrival in UK and pay tax.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
plus factor in you'll have to buy a ski bag there and probably have to pay extra to book the skis onto your return flight. If you've skied on them for a month then they won't look new and your'd probably get away with not declaring, if so either post the receipt to yourself from canada or chuck it wink
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Hi, no question its better to try before you buy and high possibilty of getting a good deal on old models but my own searching online (full tilt boots,line prophet ski's and norrona jackets) i found uk online stores cheaper than usa/canadian online stores. maybe i was looking at the wrong sites!! gopro cameras thats different story!
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:

2) Not any longer

What (or should I say "when") changed?
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
My understanding on the import tax thing was that used items weren't liable - is this wrong?
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Can I just ask, if you buy them over in Canada, but then are support to pay tax upon arrival into the UK. What's to stop you just putting them into your ski bag, then walking out if the airport with them and not paying tax?
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Ricklovesthepowder wrote:
Can I just ask, if you buy them over in Canada, but then are support to pay tax upon arrival into the UK. What's to stop you just putting them into your ski bag, then walking out if the airport with them and not paying tax?

Nothing.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
katedenhaag wrote:
My understanding on the import tax thing was that used items weren't liable - is this wrong?

Only if tax has been paid on them in the EU already ie. they originated or were imported here when new. The is an exception if you are moving house for example and everything older than x months/years is clear.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Except you weren't asked what you take out of the country when you leave. So they've got no way to tell if your (slightly used) skis were bought in Canada or already bought in UK and traveled with you to Canada.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
*ahem* Just walk through the green channel *ahem* if you don't get stopped, fine.

Someone I might know might have done this, maybe.

Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Mon 23-01-12 0:57; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
abc wrote:
Except you weren't asked what you take out of the country when you leave. So they've got no way to tell if your (slightly used) skis were bought in Canada or bought in UK and traveled with you to Canada.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
billy_boy_2010,

1. I would be very surprised if skis are cheaper in Canada especially given the exchange rate. Skis are expensive here. full stop. The price you see is excluding tax which will depend on where you buy them (eg 5% alberta, 12% BC)
OH bought these very skis today, he shopped around (two differnt provinces etc), looked for online US deals and paid $850 which was the best price he could get to get them to our house.. Here they are:

http://www.snowfit.co.uk/product/Ski-Hardware/Skis/All-Mountain/HEAD/I-PEAK-84/-15175

for 364GBP

2. no idea
3. no idea

Just a little word of warning, depending on where you are going, but in this last year ski shops in Calgary have under stocked rather over stocked. They have very little left at the end of a season to sell off cheap and they are already running out of some standard sizes. If you are Mr average, you may not get a cheap deal. They aren't recession strapped like they are in UK. The shops are fairly individual rather than massive national chains that can ship product from one site to the next. It means of course that if they have overstocked you may see a deal; but they are conservative and under rather than over stock.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Ricklovesthepowder, nothing mate. Same rules apply as with big f uck-off blocks of coke.
latest report
abc wrote:
Quote:

2) Not any longer

What (or should I say "when") changed?

The Canadians stopped refunding sales tax on exports about 5 years ago.
snow conditions
With the current exchange rate I've found skis to be more expensive in Canada. Just try googling prices for the sort of skis you are shortlisting and you'll soon see what the best deals are.
latest report
wow loads of info thanks guys

well i can either try before i buy, but pay top wack, or buy in the UK and save money but take the chance of buying the wrong thing!

Nightmare!!! :S
snow report
billy_boy_2010, do you have a rough idea of the ski's make and model you want?

The best thing you can do before even thinking of buying is trying out various ski's over time and find out what suits you. Its what I did before I bought mine.

I would not consider buying ski's or boots in Canada now, I bought my boots in Banff 7 years ago but that was when it was more than $2 to the pound, now your lucky if you get $1.50!
snow report
you pay UK VAT if price is £18+, and import duty (tax) if price is £145+ (and you still pay VAT). The rates differ based on what exactly (type of product) it is you're importing, but most sporting goods are around 3-5%, so the total tax bill will be around 23-25%. You could take a chance on smuggling them in (which is what has been suggested above), but up to you whether the benefits are worth the risks.

If you're near Hemel you can try out skis from Snow and Rock for about £10 on the indoor slope there (better than nothing).
snow report
How much are you going to have to spend on rentals if you do not buy?
That needs to be factored in.
Once you have demo-ed you still have plenty of time to search and buy on-line from another Canadian or US retailer since you will be there for a month.
REI etc etc.

Miniscule chance of having to pay import duty/VAT etc on re-entry to the UK, just don't declare, make sure they have been used.
ski holidays
Import duty is surely based on value. And the value of a second hand pair of skis is much less than that of a new pair.

N.B. If you smuggle them in once, then EVERY time you're bringing them back into the UK you are smuggling them again and liable to import duty/VAT.

10 years down the line:

Excuse me sir, what have you in your bag.
Just a pair of skis.
When did you buy them.
Years ago.
Where did you buy them.
errrr.... [look sheepish] can't quite remember
[he looks properly interested] you bought them outside the EU didn't you sir?
errr.....
And you didn't pay import duty, did you sir?
errrr....
snow report
boardiac wrote:
You could take a chance on smuggling them in (which is what has been suggested above), but up to you whether the benefits are worth the risks.

Oh come on, if the skis are obviously used on return, how are they going to prove anything? Realistically you only have to pay tax and duty when buying by mailorder and having them shipped new to the UK. Then it's a systematic process that's hard to avoid. But when travelling with your personal gear they simply won't be able to check where/when you bought them.

But anyway, skis are expensive in Canada with the crap exchange rate
snow report
James the Last, They REALLY aren't that interested. If you've gone through customs and aroused their suspicions somehow then yeah they'll pull apart your gear, but unless it's obviously new ie still got stickers and packaging etc, they'll let it go. Now if you make yourself interesting like sprinting through the green channel with a case full of boxed iPads or by dutifully going through the red channel and saying "Good Day officer, I should like to declare this low(ish) value item and render unto Her Majesty a sum of monies, I think you'll find all the paperwork in order" and not expecting your entire luggage to be taken apart and micron examined then thats another matter, but for a set of skis or boots which could be new? Nah, HMRC just aren't that interested in you. Sorry.
ski holidays
I bought my skis in Canada last year. And the exchange rate back in Feb was ok, infact when we arrived back in the UK and got the Credit card bill, we got a better exchange rate from the CC company than we were expecting. I didn't declare them either... just booked them onto the flight (Air Canada) when we arrived at Vancouver airport on the way home. I think it cost me about £40 to get them home. Noone even mentioned that I would need to declare them!
ski holidays
Richard_Sideways wrote:
Nah, HMRC just aren't that interested in you. Sorry.

Where did I say they were?

That said, if you buy something online, you will probably be stung for VAT and Duty when it is imported. Plus admin fees from your shipper.
snow conditions
no 'probably' about it. I run an international courier firm. You WILL incur Duty and VAT on import. Everything has to be declared unless you buy within Europe. Crying or Very sad
ski holidays
Thats why I brought mine back myself rather than relying on my firm to import on my behalf! Which, for the record would have cost me a darn sight more than £40 airline charges!!
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
We looked into this last year before spending a month in Whistler and quickly decided that buying in Canada was a non-starter. Almost everything was about 30% more expensive, model for model.

I ended up buying a pair of Atomic Nomad Blackeye Tis after three different ski shops recommended them independently, and have never looked back Smile
snow report
Fruity wrote:
no 'probably' about it. I run an international courier firm. You WILL incur Duty and VAT on import. Everything has to be declared unless you buy within Europe. Crying or Very sad

Definitely "probably". Parcelforce are somewhat hit and miss as to whether they bother to charge you.
ski holidays
Try Sport Conrad - cheapest Ive found anywhere and they are EU
ski holidays
James the Last wrote:
Import duty is surely based on value. And the value of a second hand pair of skis is much less than that of a new pair.

N.B. If you smuggle them in once, then EVERY time you're bringing them back into the UK you are smuggling them again and liable to import duty/VAT.

10 years down the line:

Excuse me sir, what have you in your bag.
Just a pair of skis.
When did you buy them.
Years ago.
Where did you buy them.
errrr.... [look sheepish] can't quite remember
[he looks properly interested] you bought them outside the EU didn't you sir?
errr.....
And you didn't pay import duty, did you sir?
errrr....

Haha, as if that would happen.

Did you buy them in the EU?
Yes.
Prove it?
They're ten years old, of course I can't, don't talk rubbish.

By that logic they could charge everyone import tax on anything that looked slightly old and that you couldn't produce a receipt for to prove it was bought in the UK. It's a ridiculous scenario.

That iPod you've got there, did you buy it in the UK?
Yes?
Prove it.
I've had it 5 years, I don't think I have the receipt still.
Tax for you then lad!

I might market this idea to HMRC, they could be making a killing.

My bro bought a bike back from Canada no problems. Although he did take a bike out with him, just brought a different one back.
ski holidays
bobmcstuff wrote:

Yes.
Prove it?

You're obviously better at lying to officials than I am.

bobmcstuff wrote:
My bro bought a bike back from Canada no problems. Although he did take a bike out with him, just brought a different one back.

And I'm sure your brother really appreciates your telling the entire world that he is a tax dodger. I'm sure the VAT inspectors don't read this forum, but they could...

There is anecdotal evidence that people who get written up in the newspapers with "I traded my way up the housing ladder by moving house sixteen times" articles are chased by the taxman for the tax they owe on their house-trading business.
ski holidays
James the Last wrote:
bobmcstuff wrote:

Yes.
Prove it?

You're obviously better at lying to officials than I am.

bobmcstuff wrote:

And I'm sure your brother really appreciates your telling the entire world that he is a tax dodger. I'm sure the VAT inspectors don't read this forum, but they could...

There is anecdotal evidence that people who get written up in the newspapers with "I traded my way up the housing ladder by moving house sixteen times" articles are chased by the taxman for the tax they owe on their house-trading business.

You don't even have to lie, they won't even ask about your battered ten year old pair of skis anyway as the import tax value would be about nothing anyway. I was just pointing out that it's a ridiculous situation. This type of scaremongering is daft.

All I'm saying is, they hardly ever question because people own things and you can't go through everyone's belongings at customs and quiz them on their provenance. Unless you're bringing obviously brand new stuff then you probably can't argue much.

And I'm sure my brother couldn't give a toss. The frame was worth a bit less than the one he took out (he broke it), it was second hand anyway and fairly low value. Personally I'd hope they spent more time chasing crack smugglers than hounding my brother for £20 import duty that would take more money to collect than they would actually get back.
latest report
I doubt an official will even ask me- but it looks like i will be buying in the UK anyway if its 30% cheaper!

Now i just need to figure out which skis to get! Very Happy
snow report
When was the last time anyone actually SAW a customs official in the green channel anyway? I'm sure they're there lurking, but I suspect that they only pop out from their video monitoring room to pull over 'persons-of-interest' with 4 kilos of Columbian marching powder tucked in natures pocket that they've been watching since they waddled funnily off the plane.
ski holidays
Exactly, I seriously doubt they spend their time quizzing everyone who comes back with ski gear on its provenance. It would be a huge waste of time and for the amount of revenue they would get back they would probably lose money on it. Although I doubt most people can prove these things one way or another, so they could just start making everyone pay import duty on everything...
snow report
James the Last wrote:
Fruity wrote:

Definitely "probably". Parcelforce are somewhat hit and miss as to whether they bother to charge you.

If you want to trust Parcelfarce with your expensive purchases go right ahead wink
snow conditions
Fruity wrote:
James the Last wrote:
Fruity wrote:

If you want to trust Parcelfarce with your expensive purchases go right ahead wink

You don't necessarily get any choice as they appear to be the default courier for the last few miles in the UK?
snow report
typical......Royal Mail contracts.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy