Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski Sunday

Poster: A snowHead
Last nights, a bit meh, but I would say that - no snowboarding. And was that the same Ms.Alcott who was having a laugh with Mancuso a couple of weeks ago about Vonns singular focus on winning above all else?

Tiger2, You've stumbled on how I win races with skiers, Finish line is always at the bar, preferably up a flight of stairs... Have run past people in carpark before now Toofy Grin
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I agree that the Schladming race coverage and background info was excellent,but then the Von interview was too long and boring, with arty farty BBC close up-the-nostril shots, yawn yawn yawn............
Just goes to prove that these BBC clones are from some strange corner of London completely oblivious to the real world.
I think SS days are numbered as they have no idea what to put out !!!
Please, any SH work at BBC ,ave a word !!!!!
If they want a sample show running order of interesting stuff I am sure we could do it for them,as we DO know whats out there!
Rant over..........my humble opinions of course !
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Sarge
Hi, I agree it's minority and we are lucky to get anything. But recreational skiing is a participatory sport in UK, just most of the action is done abroad. It's aspirational. Mostly it's what I'd call "Le Jamesbondisme"!
Juniors see programmes like "Ski Sunday" and say "When I grow up and can afford it, I'm going skiing". Hence the huge British clientele in the Alps.
There are thousands of kilometres of pistes out there, and they are not going to go out of fashion, no matter what people say about interests like Park and Pipe.
(You can't put 15000 people an hour down a half-pipe, even if they did have the ability)

I'm a ski teacher I know most British ski people love pretending they are on Ski Sunday. All I have to do is put them on a piece of hill that's safe for them to indulge the fantasy.
Off they schuss, singing the theme tune, hitting the run-out elated that they are part of it.

Ski Sunday can get nearly 2Million viewers for a showing, which is pretty good considering all the action people are still driving home from their day away.
Quote:

The show is on iPlayer so U can always catch up there.

Yes, but only for a few days.
Quote:

I may be in a minority of 1,

You are not in a minority for liking the Kitzbuhel episode. Most complaints were for the scheduling, not the DH content.

It will be a sad day if the BBC change a winning "Ski Sunday" formula. Mind you, They dumped "Dr. Who" for lack of interest (and then years later saw sense and resurrected it). I think Ski Sunday will take some killing-off, and even if they try, it will return.

Madeye-Smiley
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
SkiPresto wrote:
@Sarge
Hi, I agree it's minority and we are lucky to get anything. But recreational skiing is a participatory sport in UK, just most of the action is done abroad. It's aspirational. Mostly it's what I'd call "Le Jamesbondisme"!
Juniors see programmes like "Ski Sunday" and say "When I grow up and can afford it, I'm going skiing". Hence the huge British clientele in the Alps.

Never mind "juniors" Smile

I first got into skiing when I was watching Ski Sunday and my wife asked if I would like a ski holiday for Chritsmas/Birthday present - that being my 37th birthday so hardly a "junior".

I said yes, although I was actually a little dubious about whether I would enjoy it - but then was instantly hooked Smile
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
SkiPresto wrote:
I'm a ski teacher I know most British ski people love pretending they are on Ski Sunday. All I have to do is put them on a piece of hill that's safe for them to indulge the fantasy.
Off they schuss, singing the theme tune, hitting the run-out elated that they are part of it.

Yeah right rolling eyes rolling eyes
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Lou, You may scoff, but you forget that Ski Sunday's target audience is the Great British Skiing Public, and not just a few snowHeads.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Fact is if you're keen enough on ski racing to care that much about it you will/should already have watched fuller coverage of it elsewhere. Everyone else just likes the spectacle. There's no way they could fit it all into a 45 minute show, so it's best they try and have a bit of variety to keep the averag BBC2 viewer happy.

I did notice that this week they're doing red button live coverage of Chamonix, which should help keep some of you happy...
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Was surprised there was no mention of the Freeride World Tour out of Chamonix and Courmayeur.
Who knows maybe next week, what with James Stentiford coming 4th...
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
A little bit about the winter x-games in Aspen could have been good too, but I guess that's an ESPN thing and covering it at all might have been too expensive to have a short highlights section or whatever.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Reckon they'll do a de-brief of the x-games highlights after it's finished - ESPN having rights and all that, though theres enough footage on the t'interwebs now it'd be weird not to cover it. Shame Jenny Jones a no-show being out crocked, Zoe Gillings did well to make the BoardX final - shame about the fall. Nice bit of helmet cam film on the Beeb site from qualifying run here http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/winter_sports/16789615.stm
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
bobmcstuff wrote:
A little bit about the winter x-games in Aspen could have been good too, but I guess that's an ESPN thing and covering it at all might have been too expensive to have a short highlights section or whatever.

But they're quite happy to send Ed off to a resort in America to complain about a no-boarding rule? I'm guessing they have their priorities wrong. They should be bigging up the positive aspects of the sport (X-games, FWT, even a short piece on XC world champs etc), but no, they spend the (our) cash complaining about something as boring as a ski resort which doesn't allow boarding.

It should all be about encouragement, not discouragement.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
SKIPRESTO
I'm just playing devils advocate. i'd love more ski/board/winter sports on TV, but even with all us recreational snow sporters, we are still a minor minority.
"But recreational skiing is a participatory sport in UK" so are fishing and sailing. Both have mass participation and aren't so season limted and we see neither on TV, which is actually a good thing . . . and I am a fishing sailor !
It was a certain Mr Klammer winning the DH at the Innsbruck Olympics that fired my imagination and been hooked on it ever since Blush
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Oh god imagine fishing on TV... It'd be worse than snooker...
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
RobW wrote:
Lou, You may scoff, but you forget that Ski Sunday's target audience is the Great British Skiing Public, and not just a few snowHeads.

I'm not under the illusion that the only skiers from the UK are worthy snowHeads. Neither do I mock "most British ski people' who apparently "love pretending they are on Ski Sunday". Good job there are expert ski instructors around who can say that "All I have to do is put them on a piece of hill that's safe for them to indulge the fantasy".

Yes, I scoff.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
bobmcstuff, that'd be "Screaming Reels" on Channel 4
snow conditions
What sort of content do people think would appeal to viewers?

There is a guy on Avoriaznet.com who does a weekly 2 minute overview of skiing conditions. He presents well to camera, would the Beeb think of doing something similar around various European resorts? Resort Reviews each week showing how ordinary people who are not DH hopefuls actually enjoy this recreational sport. A type of Holiday Show but for Winter resorts - they never got much of a look in before on Holiday or Wish You Were Here.

Like Sarge I too was inspired by Klammer having visited Innsbruck a few months before the Olympics in 1976. A decade or two later he did a ski video with Aneka Rice and Duncan Goodhew that was actually quite amusing, maybe the Beeb could consider retired ski hero's doing something similar but in short bursts. I'm a Celebrity style Laughing or Coach Trip style Puzzled

Happy viewing SNowHeads
snow report
Oh yes, red button Chamonix... fulfilling a long-held ambition to ski there next week & that'll get me warmed up nicely.
Thanks for the heads-up, bobmcstuff
CW Happy
snow conditions
Wozzy, Think they tried that a couple of years ago with various slebs being given ski lessons etc.. Think Fiona Bruce was one - yummy, yummy Madeye-Smiley .
snow conditions
Hey Lou.
I thought of Loo Service the other day and then realised there was a poem about Lou. By Robert Service.
"THE SHOOTING OF DAN MCGREW"

A bunch of the boys were whooping it up in the Malamute saloon;
The kid that handles the music-box was hitting a jag-time tune;
Back at the bar, in a solo game, sat Dangerous Dan McGrew,
And watching his luck was his light-o'-love, the lady that's known as Lou.

When out of the night, which was fifty below, and into the din and the glare,
There stumbled a miner fresh from the creeks, dog dirty, and loaded for bear.
He looked like a man with a foot in the grave, and scarcely the strength of a louse,
Yet he tilted a poke of dust on the bar, and he called for drinks on the house.
There was none could place the stranger's face, though we searched ourselves for a clue;
But we drank his health, and the last to drink was Dangerous Dan McGrew.

There's men that somehow just grip your eyes, and hold them hard like a spell;
And such was he, and he looked to me like a man who had lived in hell;
With a face most hair, and the dreary stare of a dog whose day is done,
As he watered the green stuff in his glass, and the drops fell one by one.
Then I got to figgering who he was, and wondering what he'd do,
And I turned my head -- and there watching him was the lady that's known as Lou.

His eyes went rubbering round the room, and he seemed in a kind of daze,
Till at last that old piano fell in the way of his wondering gaze.
The rag-time kid was having a drink; there was no one else on the stool,
So the stranger stumbles across the room, and flops down there like a fool.
In a buckskin shirt that was glazed with dirt he sat, and I saw him sway;
Then he clutched the keys with his talon hands -- my God! but that man could play!

Were you ever out in the great alone, when the moon was awful clear,
And the icy mountains hemmed you in with a silence you most could hear;
With only the howl of a timber wolf, and you camped there in the cold,
A half-dead thing in the stark, dead world, clean mad for the muck called gold;
While high overhead, green, yellow and red, the North Lights swept in bars --
Then you've got a hunch what the music meant ... hunger and night and the stars.

And hunger not of the belly kind, that's banished with bacon and beans;
But the gnawing hunger of lonely men for a home and all that it means;
For a fireside far from the cares that are, four walls and a roof above;
But oh! so cramful of cosy joy, and crowned with a woman's love;
A woman dearer than all the world, and true as Heaven is true --
(God! how ghastly she looks through her rouge, -- the lady that's known as Lou.)

Then all of a sudden the music changed, so soft that you scarce could hear;
But you felt that your life had been looted clean of all that it once held dear;
That someone had stolen the woman you loved; that her love was a devil's lie;
That your guts were gone, and the best of you was to crawl away and die. 'Twas the crowning cry of a heart's despair, and it thrilled you through and through --
"I guess I'll make it a spread misere," said Dangerous Dan McGrew.

The music almost died away ... then it burst like a pent-up flood;
And it seemed to say, "Repay, repay," and my eyes were blind with blood.
The thought came back of an ancient wrong, and it stung like a frozen lash,
And the lust awoke to kill, to kill ... then the music stopped with a crash,
And the stranger turned, and his eyes they burned in a most peculiar way;
In a buckskin shirt that was glazed with dirt he sat, and I saw him sway;

Then his lips went in in a kind of a grin, and he spoke, and his voice was calm;
And, "Boys," says he, "you don't know me, and none of you care a damn;
But I want to state, and my words are straight, and I'll bet my poke they're true,
That one of you is a hound of hell ... and that one is Dan McGrew."

Then I ducked my head, and the lights went out, and two guns blazed in the dark;
And a woman screamed, and the lights went up, and two men lay stiff and stark;
Pitched on his head, and pumped full of lead, was Dangerous Dan McGrew,
While the man from the creeks lay clutched to the breast of the Lady that's known as Lou.

These are the simple facts of the case, and I guess I ought to know;
They say that the stranger was crazed with "hooch," and I'm not denying it's so.
I'm not so wise as the lawyer guys, but strictly between us two --
The woman that kissed him -- and pinched his poke -- was the lady that's known as Lou.
snow conditions
https://twitter.com/#!/SnowEdLeigh/status/164830779636060160

Quote:
Despite losing the Sarah Burke tribute off the end of the show in Kitzbuhel I did film a short piece for the website.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/winter-sports/16681797
latest report
Thanks for the link Adam123, Nice one Mr. Leigh Cool
ski holidays
dudes

on my lap top
adverts covered part of the forum page
for the first time last night
now it does not and is back to normal
wtf ?

ok bye
snow report
Thanks for the reminder halfhand, I had forgotten they did that and didn't they do some ski time trails for the celebs. Oh well it seems they can't please everyone all the time!
latest report
I sent an email to BBC in November asking about the forthcoming Ski Sunday coverage- still waiting for a reply. Sent email on complaints button BBC webpage- still waiting for a reply!!! Has anybody had a reply from the BBC? Does anybody from the BBC login to SH? Are there more leisure skiers/boarders in the U.K. than leisure dart or snooker players? If there are, then surely skiing/boarding derserves a seasonal weekly programme(s) covering the sport.
No excuse for tight schedules anymore, with BBC3 and 4 airtime available. As for budget, instead of sending the producer, 2 presenters, a sound recordist, a cameraman and a rearch assistant, just send a cameraman and one presenter holding his own mike and carrying his own bags. If anybody from the BBC is reading this thread please explain the corporations ineptitude.
One final point- which, to the general public, is more spectacular and entertaining, the Hahenkamm or Wengen downhill with a glorious Alpine backdrop or darts from a shopping centre in Essex and snooker from a warehouse in Sheffield?
snow conditions
davidthornton wrote:
I sent an email to BBC in November asking about the forthcoming Ski Sunday coverage- still waiting for a reply. Sent email on complaints button BBC webpage- still waiting for a reply!!! Has anybody had a reply from the BBC? Does anybody from the BBC login to SH? Are there more leisure skiers/boarders in the U.K. than leisure dart or snooker players? If there are, then surely skiing/boarding derserves a seasonal weekly programme(s) covering the sport.

No.

According to Wikipedia, 1% of the population participate in skiing, while 3% participate in darts, and 5% in snooker.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sport_in_the_United_Kingdom

But TBH, it isn't mainly about how many participate, it is about how many want to watch, since it is audience that TV is after.

Quote:

No excuse for tight schedules anymore, with BBC3 and 4 airtime available. As for budget, instead of sending the producer, 2 presenters, a sound recordist, a cameraman and a rearch assistant, just send a cameraman and one presenter holding his own mike and carrying his own bags. If anybody from the BBC is reading this thread please explain the corporations ineptitude.
One final point- which, to the general public, is more spectacular and entertaining, the Hahenkamm or Wengen downhill with a glorious Alpine backdrop or darts from a shopping centre in Essex and snooker from a warehouse in Sheffield?

Given that the numbers watching snooker are regularly 4-5 million while Ski Sunday rarely gets more than 2 million, it would seem to the latter.

We love skiing, and love watching it, but we on here are not representative of the general population.
ski holidays
A very good point well made
snow report
davidthornton wrote:

Darts from a shopping centre in Essex and snooker from a warehouse in Sheffield.
ski holidays
Ski racing has not been given the chance to build up a TV audience in the U.K. What do we get each winter? At best less than 10 x 45min programmes- total 7.5hrs!! Hardly a serious base for establishing the regular strong audience figures that snooker or darts command. The competitive ski season has been in progress for 2 months by the time the BBC gets round to covering it and then they abandon it before the season finishes! Only the diehards know what's or who's going on when coverage starts.
With better TV coverage British participation would be better highlighted, this would help the Brits with their sponsorship leading to better equipment and training facilities, leading to better performances and public interest.
Don't buy in to Wikipedia's figures- 3.5 million regular snooker players in the U.K! These sorts of figures are notoriously inaccurate.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I know its not Ski Sunday, however ITV I think filmed a celeb learning to ski, with Fearne Cotton and James Blunt (James can ski) in Verbier just before Christmas, I was asked to supply some gear. Not sure if it has been shown yet but could be amusing to see.
latest report
SkiPresto, were you a little bored on Wednesday evening?? wink Thanks for taking the time to post - I had no idea my snowHead user name was so famous.

I still think you have an unfairly low opinion of British recreational skiers Toofy Grin
snow report
Who's going to be first to complain today? NehNeh
ski holidays
To make skiing more popular on UK TV, they should show endless shots of hot chix sliding in bikinis on sunny days, skiers crashing and turning the pistes red, and mega snowslides flattening villages.

Viewing and participation figures would soar.
ski holidays
Whitegold, Thats what you tube is for
ski holidays
Doesn't seem to be available on the red button!?
snow report
davidthornton wrote:
Ski racing has not been given the chance to build up a TV audience in the U.K. What do we get each winter? At best less than 10 x 45min programmes- total 7.5hrs!!

You need to expand your horizon way beyond the Beeb.

For example, yesterday morning you had a choice of three different ski racing programs (at the same time!!). Eurosport was showing the ladies downhill from Garmish, Eurosport 2 was showing the mens downhill from Les Houches/Chamonix, and the other Eurosport (news?) was the telemark combined from somewhere else.

You only real complaint is that the BBC aren't catering for your wants: but other providers are available.
ski holidays
I enjoyed today's show, and despite the departure into 'songs of praise' territory I thought the piece about the St Bernards monastery was fascinating.
snow report
I saw the end of the racing, and the monastery. I agree that was fascinating - I've driven past that place and hadn't realised its history. Very good to have some historical mountain background rather than endless flashing around doing cunning stunts. I'd like to have seen more footage of those skiers in a blizzard from the Olden Days and maybe some interviews with the "volunteers" they mentioned. I'd also like to have heard a bit more from the mountain guide and a bit less from the lads.
latest report
Anyone who complains about ski sunday is just jealous of those two lucky gits who clearly have the dossiest job in THE WORLD. Granted its not brilliant but its still better than half the guff on the BBC! If you want to watch ski racing you need Eurosport but no doubt the same complainers will pipe up about the lack of correct scheduling. NehNeh rolling eyes
snow report
I suppose they are taking the title seriously, hence the observation of the Sabbath in the Monastery and not doing any real work.
snow report
What we could do next is get Ewen MacGregor to parachute in and tell the stories of the Free French at La Plagne during WWII.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy