Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Insurance claim help re Piste closure please!

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Has anyone any experience in claiming on insurance for piste closure? We went to
Les Arc 1950 for first week in Jan. For the last 3 days, all but 2 of the lifts were closed due to high winds/snowstorms and 5/5 avalanche risk. This left us with only 2 blue runs available, and unable to access slopes further down the mountain Sad
My Direct Travel Ins policy says I need to produce evidence from the lift pass company, which I imagine will be a nightmare!
Real shame, loved the place but missed out on a lot of skiing!
Any help would be appreciated.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
There needs to have been complete closure and no possibility of getting to another resort. If the resort is any way open you are not covered. If you travel to a different resort they will cover the cost of doing so. If the resort is completely closed and cut off they will pay.

In short it's all but impossible to claim. I've certainly never been in a resort with no lift running for the whole day. And as you say getting some sort of evidence of it ain't gonna be any easier.

I've had the odd day of very restricted skiing. One day in Arc 2000 almost identical to what you describe.

Just put it down to experience.

Here is what my Snowcard policy says:

Quote:
If the weather prevents skiing at the resort you are booked into, you will be covered for the reasonable transport costs to take you to a different resort and for the cost of a lift pass there. If it is not possible to arrange transport to a different resort, you will receive £30 for each whole day’s skiing lost.

Conditions for piste closure

Cover will only apply for as long as there are poor snow conditions at your resort.
You must get written confirmation from the appropriate authority to confirm that the piste was closed or that it was not possible to travel to another resort.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Tignes has been closed for a few days so far since we opened in October - STGM supplied us with a refund of passes for days they were completely closed, which we passed on to our customers. They also supplied us with letters when requested confirming dates resort has been completely closed. Paradiski have not been as helpful, although they haven't been completely closed; on 6th January they virtually all closed, although a couple of lifts were open, and no refund of passes was given. I would contact them and ask for a letter confirming what was closed for your insurance company - they may be able to provide this?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Layne wrote:
There needs to have been complete closure and no possibility of getting to another resort. If the resort is any way open you are not covered. If you travel to a different resort they will cover the cost of doing so. If the resort is completely closed and cut off they will pay.

That depends on the policy. The above was was true of the policy I took out one year (and that was the only year I would have needed to claim).

It is NOT true of the Direct Travel policy (which is the one I have used the last few years), which says:
Quote:

We will pay up to the amount shown in the table of benefits if, as a result of not enough snow, too much snow or
high winds in your booked holiday resort, at least 80% of all lift systems are closed for more than 12 hours. We will
pay for either:
• the cost of transport to the nearest resort; or
• a benefit for each complete 24-hour period that you are not able to ski and there is no other ski resort
available.
Please note: You must get written confirmation from the management of the resort stating the reason for the
closure and how long the closure lasted.

I suggest the OP write to the lift company asking for the required confrmation. It would probably have been easier to get this while still out there, but I see no reason they shouldn't be willing to do it now.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
alex_heney, interesting. I thought all the policies would be worded the same.

Joanne Mountainsun, that's also interesting. If the lift pass company gives a refund why do we need insurance for it? If they don't provide a refund I presume they won't give out a letter?
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Layne wrote:
alex_heney, interesting. I thought all the policies would be worded the same.

It is surprisng just how much difference there is between the various policies.

You should always compare the wording of a few before buying, and make sure that the one you go for has the cover you feel is right for you.

Quote:

Joanne Mountainsun, that's also interesting. If the lift pass company gives a refund why do we need insurance for it? If they don't provide a refund I presume they won't give out a letter?

Two reasons. One - to pay for transport to an alternative resort if that is available (and assuming your policy covers that). And second, for some compensation for the disappointment of being unable to ski. The lift pass refund means you aren't out of pocket on the pass, but you still aren't getting teh skiing you intended out of your holiday.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy