Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ladies intermediate ski reccomendations

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Just back from my 3rd week skiing and wondering if I need to upgrade my skis.

Currently have Dynastar driver plus skis (154cm) that I bought 3 years ago as a beginner ski hoping to improve.

Now wondering is they are a bit too bendy- find that they turn easily but do not grip too well on scraped snow due to their flex.

Currently comfortable on most reds and did some blacks last week. So looking for some skis that will continue to help me to improve. Also done some gentle off piste in good conditions and unpisted blacks.

Think I want an all mountain ski. want something thats fairly easy/ enjoyable for carving turns but also that will be forgiving when I get scared on something too steep!

Have looked at Dynastar Exclusive Active and Salomon lava not sure if these are too similar to current skis.

Also seen Volkl attiva estrella but not sure if these will be too advanced for me.

I'm about 5'5'' and weigh 54kg.

I appreciate its best to try them out; anyone know anywhere I can do this in scotland in next few weeks or am I best doing a bit of renting when away again in March?

Any advice much appreciated

Thanks

MCL
Smile
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Ellis Brigham have test skis at their Glasgow Braehead branch which you can try at the Xscape SnoZone. It's the only place in Scotland to test as far as I am aware. They are doing a Demo Night on Monday 23rd if you can get there. Sale's on too. £100 off the Estrellas. If you are doing red and blacks they shouldn't be too much for you but they are more of a piste ski than all mountain. Scott Maya's and Dynastart Legend Idyll's would fall into that category. Best to try out as many as you can.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I've always found K2 Burning Luvs to be very easy to ski or if you want something a bit more 'all mountain' try the Lotta Luvs. They are definitely fun to play on and will help you build confidence as your skiing progresses.

I am however a serious Volkl addict and would definitely recommend them - the Estrellas could be good or even the Tierras - probably a better bet that the Auroras or Fuegos , but take care not to rest on your laurels too much - my last Volkls were tad tetchy and could throw you out if your weight shifts too far back - but my Auroras are great fun and eminently trustworthy when you want to push it (albeit a little heavy).
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
And if you are looking for current skis the Lottas are now called Superstitious. I demoed them in the beginning of the season and my first thought was "wow, these are easy to turn" (compared to my older and longer non-rockered Lottas).
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
thanks for the replies. Just spoke to Ellis Brigham at Xscape so going to go along next weekend and have a shot of their demo skis Very Happy
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Got skis on Sunday Very Happy

Really glad demoed them! Had I not I probably would have gone for the vokl estrellas. Didn't like them compared to the K2s! Got K2 superfree- which I may have been put off buying without trying as they are aimed at high end intermediates to advanced (not what I'd class myself as!). Also they are 50/50 on piste and off so just what I was looking for!

4 weeks til next holiday to try them out!! Cairngorm this weekend but may stick with old ones if snow conditions not fab
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
MCL, sounds fantastic - I hope you have great fun with them - they sound perfect
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I just wanted to chime in even though I think the original poster has some skis now.

I was very much an intermediate when I decided to get some skis of my own. I knew I wanted carvers and I knew I wanted more 'rigid' ones as I found them waaay easier to turn in. I looked at Volkl Sol and others and when reading about the sol actually thought they sounded a bit advanced for me, but decided to get them anyway after talking about what i wanted with the chaps at the ski shop I went to.

I was a green - blue run skier - in canada where I am now (lake louise and sunshine) I would say even some greens would have challenged me when i got these skis

Anyway I LOVE them. Despite being described as intermediate advanced with room to grow, and described by the ski store guys as a having a bit more 'character/personality/'jip' than the intermediates, I feel that these skis are the most forgiving, NICE skis to ride. Admittedly Ive not owned any others so nothing to compare, but basically for skiing in nz, they just seemed to turn almost by themselves, the edges were so nice and stiff i felt secure, my skiing improved a lot in a very short amount of time. I remember finding myself shortly after i got them going much faster than i was usually comfy with and as i was instinctivly thinking i need to slow down, it dawned on me that i was going MUCH faster than usual, but, I was ok...

'The downside I found was the edges are so stiff that they are easy to 'catch' if you daydream, and the first few times I came closer to falling over when skiing into the lift queues in slushy snow, than on steep (for me) runs. Also I am guessing that at higher speed they are not as stable as the wider or longer skis, but that is going to be the trade off (I think?) with any decision between powder type skis and short narrow waisted carvers.

They are also responsible for my first decent wipeout - simply cos they made me feel so confident, that I got a bit cocky and on moguls, jumping on one, hit the next which i was not expecting and nose dived into the snow and injured the cartilage by my ribs (was totally my fault and apparently looked impressive/funny though LOL)

For anyone who is an intermediate and wants to feel more confident, and in control, fast, and who wants to move to blue and their first black runs, fast, Id totally recommend the skis I got which are volkl sol 2010 ladies carvers. Or what I asked for which was"nice rigid carving skis with a narrow waist and that will make carving turns for me'.
I am 100% happy with these skis for what I needed when purchased, and I think they will do me a few years yet. I think if I ever did need more, it would be in addition to these, not instead - ie if I wanted something different lke twin tips or skis for powder. But Id still be skiing these too. They are just a lot of FUN Smile

Would be interested in hearing any reviews of this model from ppl who have the 2011 or 2012, to see what they think.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy