Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Canada - January - Resort Choice

Poster: A snowHead
Hello again everybody.

Following on from an earlier post USA or CANADA and which resort, thankyou for your advice.

Myself and two others who ski europe every year have now decided to ski Canada for 11nights or 14nights early Jan 2006 departing around the 4th or 7th Jan. We are all competant skiers and boarders and will ride anything. We just want good skiing/riding, uncrowded slopes and lift queues and a few decent ales in the evenings.

We are now definately going to go to Canada in Jan.

The resort choices are :-

Fernie
Kimberly
Panorama
Jasper
Lake Louise

Please help any advice at all will be much appreciated whether it be on the skiing, the resorts/towns or the nightlife.

Cheers

Alpinebullit
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
it'll be bloody cold!

here's my opinion of Fernie

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewpost.php?p=21273

W're poff to whistler in late feb / ealry march, ourselves
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Alpinebullit, No Whistler?
I'm with nbt on this one : it'll be bloody cold!
I would go for Banff -- choice of Norquay and Sunshine Village while Lake Louise is not to long a drive away. Kananskis, close to Calgary also worth a day visit.
Also good beer in Banff.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Louis,

No Whistler because we've all done a full season out there 6 years ago. I fell in love with canada, I loved Whistler and thought Vancoover was a great city. In fact I'd probably be living there now if it wasn't for my own business in the UK. So no Whistler because its been done aand I'd like to try a more quintesentialy Canadian resort. Also one of the lads in the trip, snapped his leg in half in a collision with a skidoo on Christmas eve so Whistler doesn't hold the happiest memories for him. Anyway he's fully recovered now and riding like a demon and he wants to go somewhere different.

Cheers for the advice, I appreciate the comments on the weather but the three of us are prepared to brave the seriously cold temperatures, we love the mountains and we go to ski hard all day whatever the weather, so it probably won't put us off as much as others.

Anymore advice from all the groovy members of this board?

Alpinebullit
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Alpinebullit wrote:
Anymore advice from all the groovy members of this board?

You won't be expecting many replies then wink Very Happy

I would say Jasper might be a bit small for you guys - spent a day there and although I really liked the ski area I would say you'd be bored after a week, tops. The town isn't all that great either.

If you don't mind about the seriously cold temps I'd go to Banff, and probably stay there rather than restricting yourself to Lake Louise, especially if you are not hiring a car. It's pretty tricky to get to Sunshine or Norquay from LL by the ski bus - all the bus operations are set up to go from Banff to the ski areas. Banff is a great little town and plenty of places to have a beer or two.

Otherwise I think Sun Peaks is not so cold early season and is a ski-in ski-out resort. We may well end up there ourselves next season snowHead
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
It can be that cold...... but anytime we have been, it hasnt. I was skiing in Lake louise late last January in little more than a tshirt and soft shell. Marmot (Jasper) is great too, but isnt worth an extended stay (prob 3 or 4 days at most). We are doing both again next year in no small part helped by the almost total lack of lift lines. Even when it gets busy, most stick on the green runs, blues were almost empty and blacks I was worried death hiself was stood at the bottom and someone neglected to tell me!!

Adam
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Banff as you're discounting Whistler. I've been there over the new year and temperature about -17. No problem as long as you cover your face (my jacket has a hood for that and son got away with a scarf).
Definitely stay in Banff and travel to Sunshine and LL.
Lucky bar stewards, it's a great place.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
If you've done a full season, I'd suggest Fernie over Banff personally. the resort itself is more challenging with smaller queues, althoug the least queuing and bext conditions we've ever experienced were one day at norquay - 12 inches overnight, still puking down and about 200 people on the entire mountain...
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Alpinebullit, If you go to Banff you might meet me! As I'm due to arrive there on the 11th January. snowHead

Out of your list I've been to Fernie, great skiing but the town of Fernie itself is small and I didn't see much in way of nightlife.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Alpinebullit,

I've been to all of those, in January.

Panorama might not have much snow, that early (and in my experience of visits later in the season, it doesn't retain what it gets very well). Additionally, Panorama is in the process of being Intrawest-ised. It's not quite the building site it was a few years back, and the lift system and terrain has been improved and expanded, but it's a resort area tacked on to the edge of a town (Invermere) that is largely a holiday home location for rich Calgarians. Not really a "truly Canadian experience".

The Banff area has a lot of variety - see my (and others') previous posts - but it can get VERY cold. This is (possibly) the ONLY place that is likely to fulfil your requirements for

Quote:

a few decent ales in the evenings.

It also has the highest incidence of STDs per capita in Canada. (In other words, have fun, but be careful).

Fernie and Kimberley are 1.5 hours of easy driving from each other and can be covered on the same pass (in fact, you can also get a pass that will cover Lake Louise, Fernie, Kimberley, Nakiska (about 1 hour from Banff)and Castle Mountain , since they are all owned by the same company - RCR - but I think that this might only apply to a season's pass. It's worth checking out). Kimberley and Fernie might not be quite so cold, and if you're going to get a big dump anywhere, then you'll most likely get it at Fernie. - Until Fernie was bought by RCR some years ago, it was one of the best kept secrets in the Canadian Rockies: a legendary powder destination, and as a depressed mining town in the middle of nowhere (well, 2.5 hr from Calgary), it really was a "truly Canadian experience". - This is worth looking at, if you rent a car, since then you can go where the snow is without too much hassle.

Jasper is a nice little town - rather quiet and remote (4.5 hr from Calgary, 3.5 hr from Edmonton, so a long transfer after your 9.5hr flight), which has increased its expert terrain through opening a new high-speed quad, but which is otherwise a pretty small area, and not particularly challenging. I like it, but I wouldn't want to spend more than a few days there. It can also be pretty cold in January.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Banff, lots of choice and plenty of beer. Also you can go to the hot springs and go in the pool with the snow all around you. The pool will be as hot as it will be cold!
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Stay in Banff and Lake Louise and stay at least 1 night in the sunshine inn, guaranteed first tracks on 100% Natural Snow!!!

Sunshine gets 33ft of snowfall (although some of this gets blown about a bit!)

Lake Louise only gets 12ft
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
In last 2 seasons at Banff/Sunshine/Lake Louise in the Jan/Fab slot I've had -40 temps!

And temps for rest of visit were -20, so yes it can be cold. Last trip got stuck on a lift at Sunshine for about 20 mins and temps were -25, couldn't feel my hands when we got off!

Last season was not a great snow year but that can happen anywhere.

Lake Louise in my opinion has gone downhill (sic) as they have done a lot of development of terrain parks (OK if thats what you want). Some of these have been placed on what were nice blue/black runs.

Sunshine has been good most every season I've been there as its possible to ski the lower slopes if its cold/cloudy. Personally like Goatseye Mountain if snow has been reasonable. As has been said lots and lots of snow and none man made, if fact I believe they don't have any snow making equipment.

Didn't rate Norquay, narrow runs and usually icy (every morning sun and afternoon shadow) lots of man made snow too.

Visited Kicking Horse last season, perhaps not best time as snow cover was poor and it was damm cold. If your into black/double black and moguls and if the snow is good its worth a visit. Bit of a trip from Banff though.

I'm of to Whister in Jan (done Sunshine/Lake Louise etc for last 4 seasons) so looking forward to some slightly warmer temps and hopefully lots of snow as Jan usually has 150+ cms.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Skied Sunshine on 4th December (My Birthday Very Happy ) and they had a base of over 150cm!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Hi antoeknee, welcome to snowHeads snowHead I too love it on Goats Eye, such lovely long runs down right from the top. Also like the Canyon, a little blue run running from Jackrabbit to Wolverine that's like being on a roller-coaster, round corners and down little chutes - good fun!
ski holidays
Cathy Coins,

Do you mean all the little tigger tracks through the trees? They are really cool.
latest report
I'd agree that banff in jan can be very cold but i've been three times - and i've got reynaulds disease which means that i shouldn't really go anywhere colder than the south of france! Definitely stay there rather than lake louise as more options on the decent beer front. Lifts queues aren't really an issue there - had only one long queue that I can remember in 5 weeks of skiing - and have gone over christmas/new year 3 times..
latest report
Skied LL/Sunshine for about 5 years and lift queues are normally non existent, its quite normal to ski to the base and ski straight in to the lift and back up the mountain. The longest I've ever queued must be 5-10 minutes (a public holiday) as the lifties get everything organised really well and people queue well.

There are lots of nice runs in the trees at Sunshine.

Goats Eye is really good the initial run before the traverse is fantastic and then some of the black and blue runs are really good skiing.

Accomodation is limited in LL, the Chateau is really good (stayed there 2 years ago) though very pricey. Lake Louise Inn is OK reasonable price and rooms are OK. LL is very quiet so if like me you like to get up for the lifts opening and get to bed a bit early its OK.

One of the best places to eat is the 'pub' at the Post House, food is same as served up in the hotel restaurant at a fraction of the price.
snow report
How do find the bus travel to the slopes? Is it quite easy? The only ski buses I've been on are in Austria where everyone is crammed on and you're lucky if you don't get skis poles shoved up your nose !
ski holidays
erica2004, the skis buses in Banff are in another league altogether! Highly organised and very efficient. They run to a timetable and are coaches, your skis and poles are not allowed on with you but are put in the luggage compartments underneath. They have little minibuses scooting round from stop to stop, the staff on their walkie talkies, seeing how many people are going to each resort. And they just keep bringing up the buses until everyone has got on. If needbe, they'll lay on a little minibus just for those last extra few. And no standing on the coaches Laughing snowHead
latest report
Yep buses are really well organised. Not skied in Europe myself but from what brother-in-law has said USA/Canada is far more civilised. People don't stand on your skis in queues (not that there are any really) and I think you'll find the slpoes far less crowded than in Europe.
snow report
I have been through Fernie but never skied there (seems a nice place though). Kimberley I have spent months at and it can be damn cold, but is never ever crowded and has some good slopes too. Forget the terrain park there though as they seem to only get around to building it in late January!! It's a bit of a hick town, but very friendly. When there is good snow there (similar weather patterns to Fernie) I love it.
Spent a weekend at Castle Mountain (over the Alberta border) and that is STEEP everywhere - not much in the town though.
Kicking Horse - never seems to get groomed as everyone loves powder and they seem to get a lot....
ski holidays
Definitely stay in banff rather than Lake Louise the buses out of lake Louise to Sunshine and to Banff are less frequent and usually later in the day. Far better to stay in banff more to do , more to see and easier to get to other slope

Norquay 10-15mins bus
Lake Louise 25 - 30 mins bus
Sunshine 25 min bus 15 min Gondola

Those sound like long times when on a bus it is however one of the best manage ski bus services you will find. The buses are on time, you will always get a seat when a bus is full they just call up another on. Just before the bus arrives a pick up full of helpers come and check how many people are waiting then help everyone load the skis on the bus any that people that are left are either taken in the pick ups to meet another bus or another bus pulls up behind.
snow conditions
It depends on what you like whether you should stay in Bannff or Lake Louise. I have no desire to go to pubs or bars or the likes, I am happy skiing, having a nice meal and relaxing the evening away. So from my point of view, Banff has no benefits. In fact, if you stay in the fairmont hotels, the lake louise setting is much nicer and the hotel likewise (the banff fairmont is absolutely enormous and can be exceptionally quiet - our suite last year was a good 5 minute walk to get to the main hotel and any resemblance of other life!).
snow report
Like BUNS I much prefer to ski and have just a nice meal and a couple of drinks iwhilst relaxing in the evening (pub at the Post House in LL was great for this). Then get up for breakfast and first lift next morning.

LL has always been really relaxed and fairly quiet, my only comment would be that visiting other ski areas can be limited as there are only a handful of buses each week to the likes of Sunshine/Norquay.

If you stay in Banff there seems to be buses to all the ski areas each day.

Chateau at LL is really good but pricey.

As has already been said by others don't worry about buses to the other ski areas, they are frequent with extra laid on if there is the demand and there is no standing.
latest report
Last time I was over I stayed in LL and had one big night out in Banff where I checked into a hotel there for the night. For me the benefits of staying in Banff are that you can shop after skiing so you don't have to take a day off to shop... however the nightlife seems a bit pointless (for me) as I'm usually so jet-lagged anyway - plus I love skiing - that I don't want to be up drinking all night anyway. I want a 7am breakfast and to be on the first lift up the hill.
latest report
buns, Thats what I like my main point is that if you stay at Lake Louise its much harder to get to Sunshine if you wanted too. Whem I was in Banff last year the snow in Lake Louise was heavy and slushy in the afternoon and Sunshine had better conditions.
snow report
Or for slightly less chance of seriously cold temperatures, you could do the Okanagan tour - Sun Peaks, Silver Star, Big White and Apex. All no more than about 2 hours apart from each other, and significantly warmer than the Banff area (and dryer than Whistler too), and all pretty well ski to your door too rather than messing about with buses.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Okanagan, if you were to combine Sun Peaks with one of the other Okanagan resorts, for a total of a 2 weeks holiday, which would you recommend?
latest report
Either Big White or Silver Star depending upon what type of skiing/resort you like. Apex is smaller so you'd probably only want 2 or 3 days there - and it's also the furthest from Sun Peaks.

Silver Star has more tough/steep skiing than Big White (seriously steep/narrow/big bumps true double diamond territory - but also probably the steepest pisted run I've ever skied), but BW feels a bigger mountain if you're used to skiing around resorts euro style rather than ending up back at the same place fairly often, and some open bowl skiing too which the Star doesn't.

More of the Skiing at SS is among the trees, so visibility can be better if conditions aren't good, whereas quite a bit (though not all) of the skiing at BW is more open, so if the cloud does come down navigation around the middle part of the resort can be a bit tricky if you don't know where you're going.

Village wise BW is bigger and has more nightlife/choice of restaurants, etc, but the Star is prettier, and frendlier IMHO - if you're staying a week people will be greeting you like old friends after a couple of days.

The Star is the nearest to Sun Peaks, if distance is a consideration - driving from Sun Peaks you should probably allow about an extra 1.5 hours to get to Big White compared to Silver Star.

So take your pick between the too really - I still can't choose, so we just go to both every trip!
snow conditions
Thanks Okanagan, I don't think I'll mention the possibility of Silver Star as an option as I know thats where Mr C would immediately want to go, following your description! Big White sounds the better option to me - I'll look into that as I think just Sun Peaks for 2 weeks might be a bit limiting.
ski holidays
Big White has a good website - the only one I've seen where you can follow a piste down as if you're skiing it! Very Happy snowHead
snow report
Cathy Coins, The runs seem quite short, or perhaps I was going a bit too fast wink
latest report
erica2004, I'm hoping they're just the runs at the base of the mountain! Very Happy I think your skis must still have quite a bit of bounce in them wink Very Happy
snow report
Caty - that isn't all the runs by a long way, and they ARE a lot longer than they look in the clips there.
ski holidays
Thanks Okanagan, I thought that was the case. Good idea for them to show the pistes like that - really gives you a good sense of the place. Ideally I'd like to see all pistes before I ski them - part of my problem is imagining the worst of what's round that corner Very Happy
snow report
Alpinebullit,
I would try Kimberley, we have been there for a few years, accommodation is right on the slopes, unlike Banff where it is a minimum 15 minute bus ride to the nearest ski area, and no lift queues.

Fantastic apartments all have own private hot tub and balcony and very well equipped. I suggest the Lodges at Kimberley Ridge for value for money. Kimberley itself nice place for a meal or a drink. Visit www.kimberleycondos.com Fernie is only 1 hour away if you fancy a change of scene, as it Panorama in the other direction. However Kimberley has skiing from greens to double diamond.
latest report
Hi abdul1801, welcome to snowHeads! snowHead
latest report
Hi Everybody

Your response to my initial question has been great and has helped alot, I only wish I had found this site earlier, it would have helped with decisions on past skiing holidays no end.

We have now narrowed our holiday down to staying a Wolfsden Mountain Lodge at Fernie Alpine Resort or Kimberly.

The reason I have written Banf/Lake Louise off is that myself and the others really like ski in ski out resorts, we too like to have breakfast and then be on that first lift up the mountain whatever the weather, its important to us we work hard all year and want to pack as much skiing/riding in as possible and don't fancy spending time in busses or our car to get to the mountain, unless it has to be done and the resort is a real gem.

As for the beers we don't drink all night but you've got to admit it is nice to have a relaxing beer in a good atmosphere after a hard day on the slopes, as I say it is very very rare that we don't catch first lift up in the morming and generally we don't leave the slopes until closing time and with night skiing a possibility it looks liken we'll be doing a bit of that as well.

I have to admit I'm actually leaning towards Kimberly now and may leave Fernie until another year, i've just got to convince the boys of this!! (can't do two trips to Canada in a year, so we'll settle for 11nights or two weeks in canada early season and a week in Val D'isere in march) So please tell me if you can are we going to alright for snow in Kimberly in January? What d'ya reckon??

Thanks to everyone for all your information supplied Madeye-Smiley

Alpinebullit
ski holidays
Alpinebullit, We went to Kimberley in January last year. Great resort with uncrowded (almost deserted) runs. Also many of the runs are left ungroomed which give that off piste feeling without the risks. However, the downside for your boarder friends is there was lots of walking from the top of the lifts to the runs. We stayed at the base of the slopes in the Marriott hotel. Fantastic hotel but nightlife a bit limited. Town is a short bus ride away with some restarants. We enjoyed a meal in a pseudo Austrian restaurant (okay, the owner was from the Tyrol). All in all a great resort for couples or families but you might want something a bit livelier for a large group.
Clive
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy