Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

A review of Whitedot Redeemers

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Late-September / early-October. Your humble correspondent has just persuaded work to let him take a few months off work to go skiing. The destination is Japan and clearly my existing skis (K2 Coombacks) are going to be far too thin for the copious Ja-pow-pow. Something burlier is needed so tempted by the pretty top sheets, good reviews and an attractive deal I plump for some Whitedot Redeemers.

Late-autumn. The skis sit against my bedroom wall unmounted. Waiting for the snow. Mates go skiing in early December I stay at work. Eventually I decide to get them mounted with some Marker Barons having discovered my NTN tele boots will fit in the bindings. Mounted the skis weigh about half a tonne. Fortunately I have a generous baggage allowance.

January. Arrive in Niseko. For 11 days straight it snows putting down 15+cm everyday. Time to take the Redeemers for a spin. Skiing mostly powder from super-fluffy to windblown and dense as well as some tracked out and soft groomed runs. Terrain is open faces too tight trees. A few drops. Slope from super-mellow to 35 degrees or so max - nothing super steep. Even some touring.

They love the deep open stuff - just point them and charge. Flick your weight to change direction and the big rocketed tips engage and bring you round. Sweet. Throw in a bit of a slide and get a face shot. Awesome. Keep the weight forward and keep truckin'. But none of thet's surprising really. They'd stomp drops too if I had the skills for that kinda thing.

What did surprise me was how nimble they are when it gets a little bit tighter. Despite being 190s they come round surprisingly quickly. And even with super heavy bindings on them they can be jumped and pivoted fairly easily.

On the groomed they behave predictably and can evenly make a passable carve though they are far from quick edge to edge. Not sure that would be the case on Euro hardback. But on the the chalky corduroy here they're good. Not as good as a pair of slalom skis would be but fun none-the-less and I'm not in Niseko to ski groomers.

So for these conditions here they've been an acceptable day-to-day ski which excel in open powder. They even tour Ok especially if you're out with folks on snowshoes.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy