Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Tell me - how bad is it...

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I most specifically did not say "your boots are wrong - change 'em".

I would like to see more ankle flex. I was suprised at the answer to my question about the boots, expecting them to be much more upright and stiff. It seems to me that this stance is well programmed in and will need a bit of shifting. Softer boots for a few days may be part of the solution. I certainly wouldn't suggest splashing out on new ones just for this.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
altis wrote:
My inclination is that Layne switched too early to stiffer boots and his body is now trained into this upright stance. I wondered if softer boots, combined with the will to do it, would encourage him back into a more normal position. Once achieved, he could return to his normal boots.

why not just loosen the top two clips off and utlise the booster strap to provide for more flex to see if that helps..
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Certainly for perhaps 10 minutes within the confines of a lesson. The feel is going to be rather too wishy-washy for any prolonged practice though.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
altis, not sure about that the atomic strap is quite good and with slightly looser clips at the top and a tight strap should be able to ski all day and get a softer flex without sacrificing too much control...

IMO if the boots are 100 flex a tall guy like layne with the big levers he has should be able to flex the boots no problem so i doubt lack of flex is the equipment may be a lack of ankle mobility but more likely he hasnt been taught when to flex and extend....

Another thing to try would be to remove one of the bolts in the back spine of the boot, dont know that specific model but other Atomic boots have two bolts and removing one reduces the stated flex by 10 or 15% (cant remember what it is exactly)
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I totally agree - the boots themselves are unlikely to be the issue.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
More than 2 pages in and I still don't get this. If you pause the video as he skis past on any of those runs (apart from the first where he goes in for a close up), there's no problem with a lack of ankle flex (e.g. 00:20, 00:45/00:46). If he's too far back in his stance it's more from a lack of hip flex, as you can see ironically from his skiing in the bumps where he does actually tend to break at the waist as from a lack of absorbtion (check his stance as he goes over the bump in profile from the camera from around 00:56 - 00:5Cool

In fact it seems highlighted in the short turns in the run starting around 00:23, that the chronic downstem is more likely caused by over-pressuring the front of the boot, causing the ski to lose edge grip towards the end of each turn after the fall-line (see around 00:31 / 00:32 as he goes off the side of the piste, the outside ankle is extremely flexed and sliding away). This is problem that you see a lot in more confident skiers that have had hammered in from the very beginner's level that in skiing that you should always be leaning forward as opposed to back, which can be as problematic further on in a skiers career where the idea of feeling pressure throughout the foot and having a centred stance has to be reintroduced.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
SkiRider, The ankle flex is almost absent in a lot of the fall line skiing it only appears when the skis are across the hill. If you continue the sequence that starts at 00:31 then almost all of the turns are done with no ankle flex-----Sorry i will modify that to say without appropriate ankle flex

I disagree that 'overpressure' on the front of the boot is an issue, A lack of pressure management (hence my comment on the upright and static posture) is an issue but there are very few snippets of time where the pressure is towards the front of the ski on the video clips in the sequence.

Quote:

which can be as problematic further on in a skiers career where the idea of feeling pressure throughout the foot and having a centred stance has to be reintroduced.

I agree that unless people are taught correctly about 'feeling the skis' initially then it is very difficult to reintroduce it later.

My personal feeling is that the OP was very decent to post the original clip and i suspect was expecting robust discussions. There has been some very good advice given here but TBH there are a lot of different issues to be resolved here.

It does depend though on what the OP wants out of their skiing and whilst we have all been very quick to give technical advice none of us have asked what the client wants Shocked
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
kevindonkleywood wrote:
It does depend though on what the OP wants out of their skiing and whilst we have all been very quick to give technical advice none of us have asked what the client wants Shocked

kevindonkleywood, haven't you heard that ski instructors are gods and, as such, don't have to ask anyone anything? Laughing
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
FlyingStantoni, Very Happy Very Happy
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
kevindonkleywood wrote:
SkiRiderIf you continue the sequence that starts at 00:31 then almost all of the turns are done with no ankle flex-----Sorry i will modify that to say without appropriate ankle flex

Look at the turn after he reenters the piste, in particular at the angle the outside leg makes.

kevindonkleywood wrote:
there are very few snippets of time where the pressure is towards the front of the ski on the video clips in the sequence

As I mentioned, all of the times that outside ski breaks away and downstems, it's because he's come down cranking right on the front of the boot, a position from which it is impossible to gain any effective edge control after the fall-line.

kevindonkleywood wrote:
The ankle flex is almost absent in a lot of the fall line skiing it only appears when the skis are across the hill

Maybe I misunderstood this, but I'm not sure how much flexion you'd expect there to be in the fall-line. I agree that one of the main problems with the OP's skiing is that in every transition instead of projecting his body forward inside the turn he does an excessive vertical extension, which is why again he ends up coming down so heavily on the front of his boot.

It's telling because in the bumps the OP skis in much the same way. He gets away with over-extending upwards in a way that would be impossible if he had insufficient flex in the ankles and knees, as bumps skiing can be done and is in fact done more appropriately with a more upright back, that gives room for the legs to absorb. He actually does a decent job of absorbing even if he breaks at the waist a couple of times, but loses it all as he extends right afterwards on the top of the bump.

P.s. He just asked for criticism on his technique. so ner. NehNeh
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

I'm not sure how much flexion you'd expect there to be in the fall-line

I would expect sufficent to keep the COM of the skiier over the centre of the skis, ie in balance, that is not the case in the video

I personally dont think there is much extension and absorbtion of the pressure of the turn, but hey ho.....
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Tell you what, I am NEVER going to post a video of myself skiing on snowHeads. (But I don't mind when Rob'n'Scott post one of me skiing decently. Or, as is more likely, making a complete prat of myself - with sound effects.)
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Pedantica, kevindonkleywood, I have no regrets about posting the clip whatsoever and I am grateful for all the contributions. It's been honestly quite fascinating. I've been skiing a fair while and wish to/hope to/try to ski a little better each trip. I've been skiing for a good few years and I inevitably you feel quite confident and happy with your skiing but my character is one of a perfectionist (when it something that really interests me). And as I said earlier I don't believe you ever stop learning.

Anyhow, I have my takeaways from the thread. A plan, some things to try, an exercise or two. I will revisit over the next couple of years. Hopefully I may be able to post more video at some point. Cheers all snowHead Very Happy snowHead
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Layne, I empathise with the perfectionism and willingness to go on learning, but am not as brave as you!
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Pedantica, Well said I second that, Layne, well done again matey and good luck with it all!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy