Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Help with completing my 180!

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hey guys!

Just looking for alittle help, trying to land my 180's from flat but i cant seem to get my board to follow my upper body, it like lags behind! my friend watch me and say i'm rotating my upper body but not lower, any ideas what i might be doing wrong? Or how i get these legs to rotate!?

Thanks!

Nick
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
baker_pro, ...ok this is unusual, since I am a skier talking to a boarder. This is not strictly approved of. It may be against Snowheads protocols (moderator please give guidance). But I'll give it a go.

Firstly, don't ask people who can do it well to give you advice. I tried this with mountain-biking re jumping. A guy who could lift his bike over 42inches off the ground from standing (one of the "two martins") said '...well, all you do is kind of jump up and lift the bike underneath you when you do it...'. Frankly useless in terms of helping anyone do what he does.

Secondly, all the people I know who are good at this jumping lark spend ages on trampolines. This really helps with co-ordination and getting the rotations right.

Thirdly, all the people I know who are good at this jumping lark have got a massive list of injuries. So improvement looks proportional to pain.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
baker_pro, here's a brief outline of how to do a 180. I'll describe it for switch-frontside as I think that's the easiest one:

Right along in a switch stance, relaxed neutral position on the board. Flat base if poss (you'll inevitably end up on your heels to begin with).

Crouch down low, ready to spring. At the same time, rotate your upper body, from the waist, in the direction you want to spin - if you're a regular rider, this will be twisting to the right.

Spring straight up. Don't try to huck anything. The tension you've already generated between your upper and lower body should be enough to complete the rotation.

To do a backside 180, when you crouch down, turn your head to look backwards. Again, spring straight up. Leave your head where it is (i.e. land with your head still facing backwards). This will help you to avoid over-rotating. Leaving your back hand in the same place it started helps in the same way. (I still do a very un-stylish thing where I crouch, twist my head and point back uphill with my back hand. I keep pointing through the rotation. Looks rubbish, but helps keep me orientated).

More detailed descriptions and good photos here: http://www.keyaspectscoaching.com/?p=2499 (the section on 180s is really, really good).
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
You might also find (as i recently did) that your board and boots combination aren't conducive to easy jumping and spinning. That's not to say it's not possible, just that some boards and boots make it harder work. My board is quite long, wide and stiff (no puns please) relative to my weight so it is hard to get any pop out of it. My boots are also quite stiff which makes it hard to get enough flex for lift off.

I swapped with a pal's board for a day this year whose board was much shorter (about 10cm) and much flexier, and it was popping about all over the place.

Having said that, i'll stick with the big board. Wee jumps are all fine and well but powder's what I need.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
stevomcd wrote:
baker_pro, here's a brief outline of how to do a 180. I'll describe it for switch-frontside as I think that's the easiest one.

Interesting. When I've done a few 180s off kickers, regular-frontside was easy(ish). Switch-frontside I just about got away with once.

Whenever I try to do a 180 without the assistance of a kicker, it normally ends up as a 90-to-forehead.

Stromp!
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
monkey has a point there as well I think. My board (Burton Operator 161) is far too stiff and long for a mediocre part-time boarder like me. I need something much more wibbly wobbly, and a bit shorter. No idea why I bought the Operator in the first place in fact.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thanks for all the help guys! really appreciate it.

I've got a 154 burton custom so its pretty short and has abit of pop, i think it maybe my body positioning.

stevomcd, do you suggest that the top half of my body should already be rotated to the right before i take off (if i was doing a frontside)? i think maybe i was trying to do the full rotation the the air!?

Off too risoul friday so will keep you posted!
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
paulio, Mine is a K2 Titan 163 and it's a wide board to boot so it is like turning an oil tanker. It is epic in the Pow though.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
paulio, my Operator 161 is my little baby, flexy board! Laughing

baker_pro, yes, your upper body should rotate in the direction of spin before take-off. When doing them on the flat, you have to get quite a lot of twist in, doing them off kickers it's pretty minimal.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
stevomcd wrote:
paulio, my Operator 161 is my little baby, flexy board! Laughing

I get on better with it nowadays than I did at first. Still think it was a poor choice for me though!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy