Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

categories of skis

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi,
Just to put in my two pennies on this one. I'm a sit-skier and as we ride on one ski, and have a fair chunk of metal, fibreglass, springs, shockabsorbers etc. between us and the ski we tend to break /bend quite a few skis (eight in a season is my record, but others have beaten this by a long way!). For this reason stiff is usually best for us. Having said that I love my Pocket Rocket and despite having almost bent it in two it has still recovered and is brilliant for messing about on.
A ski that is stiff in the tail can indeed give you a good boost out of a high speed carve....it's fun and yes you are allowed to bring your weight back when coming out of high speed carves -it brings a grin to my face! However, a ski that is too stiff is no fun at all for just messing about with as you need to be constantly working it to avoid getting bitten back - by this i mean that if you try and go into a turn hard, but have not got all your forces working with you (speed, pressure etc.) then the ski can actually sort of unflex back at you and this is REALLY unpleasant. For me a nice progressive flex to the ski is what i look for.
If you want a nice cruisy time go for a generally soft ski, if you want to go faster then go stiffer. All this means very little though and it's easy to start getting lost in the technicalities. Best thing I can say is read the ski reviews, test yourself when you can and buy accordingly!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Choodalls, sounds about right, but excuse my ignorance, what is a sit-skier? You don't just mean you sit on your skis, do you?
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
slikedges, Why would a stiff ski be better ? If it's easier to flex, isn't it easier to turn ? What makes a particular ski better at short turns than another? Is it in the shape of the ski etc.? I think I'll have a go on some different skis, as I've skied 8 weeks on Atomic C9s. I might notice a difference, if only due to the fact that I'm used to my skis. I quite fancy those Rossignol Opens. Can I just go into a ski shop and ask to hire a pair?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
erica2004, You don't ask by half, do you? wink

A stiff ski gives you more back. All skis have a natural camber - if placed base down on a flat surface the ski is only in contact with the surface at 2 points, a little way behind the shovel and a little way in front of the tail. When the ski is pressured it first flattens out then with more pressure flexes further so that it is pushed into a reverse camber. As this happens, energy is stored because of the elastic property of the ski which wants to return it to its original shape. This pushes back at you and springs you, which if you are balanced is a great feeling and helps propel you into the next turn or to accelerate you. If a ski has a soft flex, there is less energy stored and it feels less lively or has less bounce. However to get a stiff ski to flex you either need to be heavy or have good technique.

You can skid or carve a turn. A stiff ski is often easier to skid, and a soft ski easier to carve. For a ski to carve, it has to be on its edge and reverse cambered ideally to a point matched by its sidecut profile. So ease of flex helps reverse camber it which allows a carved turn. Except that a soft flexing ski won't hold its turn radius if much pressure is put on it eg when skiing fast. If your technique were perfect, the shovel and tail edges would slip out, so that it would be no good for a good skier.

Skis designed for short turns do indeed need a profile which produces a short turning radius. Short skis with a wide shovel and tail, and a narrow waist are the usual form.

If you ride your skis rather than coerce them, you'll definitely notice the difference, between skis. Any ski shop in resort in will let you demo, usually for a rental charge.

Phew! wink snowHead
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
slikedges, That is a very good explanation, thankyou. Very Happy My skis are easy to carve with - very easy in fact. I understand about the camber of the ski - this has helped me understand how to ski (if that makes sense). I've heard you all talk about 'stiff' skis. It hadn't dawned on me that a stiffer ski would store energy as you describe and therefore create 'bounce' in your turn. I guess that makes it easier (less hard work) to ski quickly because the skis must feel snappier. I don't feel any of that bounce with my skis. Last season I would look for small moguls to get this effect. Toofy Grin I guess you have to have a good position or you'll end up being bounced the wrong way! I guess there must be a relationship between the weight of the skier and the stiffness of the ski to get the best from it (as well as technique, as you mentioned). Apparently there are some new ladies skis out this season that even expert lady skiers have been impressed with. I really would like a bit more bounce!
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
slikedges, a sit ski does indeed sit on the ski, very impressive if you've ever seen these disabled skiers on a slope, if you've not seen one before imagine a reclined bucket seat attached to a single ski with what looks like the rear suspension from a mountain bike, something like this

ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
D G Orf, yeah, thank you, i had noticed on one of the other threads, and I have noticed them before, very impressive, though I wonder if their feel of a ski is somewhat different.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
slikedges, I would imagine so, however Choodalls, would be the one to ask
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
D G Orf, I just love the engineering in those things but I'm stunned by their need to use skis designed for the bipedal. Why aren't the manufactures willing to R&D a plank to suit the forces of the sit-skier?
Imagine the subtlety of body language needed to control one of those things without the ability to control your body language Shocked

Respect!
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
The Nordy SUV 12 is an all mountain ski? At least that whats its labeled at and sidcut is approprete for a ski of all mountain capability? anybody think other wise
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy