Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Zermatt and St. Anton on 1 Trip

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I'm a west coast based American who is going to be doing his first ski trip to the Alps and I was planning on doing 4 days in Zermatt and then another 4 days in St. Anton. Is this feasible or should I stick to 1 resort? The train ride between the 2 doesn't seem too bad and I would love to hit up more than 1 resort while I'm there.

I was also considering cutting off 1 day each from Zermatt and St. Anton so I could do a couple of days in Murren (or Grindelwald). Would that be worth it? The pictures and stuff I've read about Murren has sounded amazing but I don't want to cut myself short of Zermatt/St. Anton if I'd get a similar experience in Murren as Zermatt. What would you do?

Thanks!

Doug
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Hey Doug - I cant comment on Murren/ Grindelwald but Zermatt/ St Anton is very do-able, you'll have a mega time, the snow is best for years!!

The train journey is fantastic, enjoy it.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
DougOLis wrote:
I'm a west coast based American who is going to be doing his first ski trip to the Alps and I was planning on doing 4 days in Zermatt and then another 4 days in St. Anton. Is this feasible or should I stick to 1 resort? The train ride between the 2 doesn't seem too bad and I would love to hit up more than 1 resort while I'm there.
I was also considering cutting off 1 day each from Zermatt and St. Anton so I could do a couple of days in Murren (or Grindelwald). Would that be worth it? The pictures and stuff I've read about Murren has sounded amazing but I don't want to cut myself short of Zermatt/St. Anton if I'd get a similar experience in Murren as Zermatt. What would you do?
Thanks!
Doug

Hi Doug,
There's a newish map out to help you plan ski-rail journeys across the Alps - the SkiRail Map of the Alps (which I helped to produce).
See a sample here (including Zermattt) http://rogerlascellesmaps.co.uk/SkiRail_Product_Information.aspx?area=SkiRail_Product_Information
and more info here http://rogerlascellesmaps.co.uk/SkiRail_Map_Main.aspx
The default route between Zermatt and St Anton would probably take you on the main lines via Zurich. However, you could opt to take the super-scenic narrow-guage Glacier Express route which takes you through more spectacular scenery and stops at a number of other lesser-known resorts such as Andermatt and Disentis.
Good luck with the trip.
Neil Neige
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
From the perspective of a skier across the pond my feeling is doing Zermatt and St Anton in the same trip is always possible and this should not be water down by changing St Anton with Murren/Grindelwald as the latter is still a Swiss experience whereas St Anton represents the best the Austria can offer.

Having said the above there are many Swiss and Austrian resorts just as good as Zermatt and St Anton but if you have a limited opportunity to ski in Europe then these two should not be missed out. It is like me going from UK to Colorado would I want to miss out Aspen in favour of perhaps Steamboat or Winter Park?
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
It's certainly feasible just a case of whether you want to 'see' resorts and in doing so miss time on the slopes through travelling. If you like you're off piste and partying then St Anton isn't to be missed probably my fav resort anywhere. Verbier in Switzerland is also up there for off piste and the nightlife but due to the strength of the Swiss Franc it's bloody expensive. I like Zermatt, plus it gives you the option of skiing in Cervinia, it's generally intermediate with wide cruisey pistes but at least you can say you've also skied in Italy wink

You'll not ski out St A or Z in 8 days-nowhere near. In St A you also have Lech and Zurs on the same pass (shot bus connection) plus the Arlberg has the most snow of anywhere at them moment and usually (particulary Stuben) have mammouth amounts of snow.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Awesome. Thanks for the great suggestions everyone. I'm thinking I am still going to try for both Zermatt and St. Anton but will forget about the Grindelwald/Murren detour for this trip. I can't wait and it should be an amazing time.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Hi Doug

Have skiied in all of the resorts mentioned above and first of all yes it is very feasible (I've done a split resort trip of St. Anton and then drove to Cervinia for a friends birthday and a couple of days skiing)

BUT if it was me I'd stick to spending a full week in either Zermat, or St. Anton as theres so much in either resort Area. If I had to choose I'd pick St. Anton as Lech can give you an easier days skiing rather than the technical skiing of St. Anton if you need to get your confidence back up after you wipeout (and you will, unless you're not trying hard enough Wink )

The nightlife in St. Anton is much livelier and eating out is much cheaper (not to mention some of the best ribs I've ever had in my life)... dont get me wrong Zermat has a good nightlife... but it is more reserved, with police on bicycles telling you to keep quiet after midnight.... but in St. Anton you can have a relaxing night in a bar, or dance all night... its up to you.

Both resorts have their fair share of ice on the slopes, so you do need a fair level of experience to get the most out of them, but St. Antons Mogul fields (even on blues in the afternoon - remember a blue in St. Anton is a Red anywhere else), its ski-trails and its off-piste experiences make it an advanced skiiers paradise...

If you do decide to do both, do Zermatt first and then move to St. Anton....

hope this helps
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
DougOLis, maybe next time you will visit Mürren Sad Sad

Mürren

The views

The Slopes

The video

http://youtube.com/v/kwe36hitO-M
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
A lot cheaper to stay in one place. Don't forget the lift pass tend to go weekly. So if you split between two, you end up paying day rate on all your days.

Though consider the cost of your flight, the lift pass cost is peanuts. So do what you like and not worry too much about the cost.

What I'm trying to say is stretch it to 2 weeks. Then you can do 1 week in each, which will give you enough time to enjoy them properly.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy