Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Talk me into Dynafit(-style) setup

Poster: A snowHead
Some idle time in a slow work week has somehow lead me to thinking about adding a Dynafit-style setup to the quiver. I have toured to date using fritschis and more recently telemark, not sure what's driving me towards this addition other than to increase my mileage with a much lighter but still strong setup. Pretty set for skis but will need the bindings and compatible boots, soooooo....

Which binding? dyna, onyx, plum? (plum looks interesting), and within brand there seems to be a pretty big range, I'm pretty heavy, like stiff boots and have stiff skis (99 max waist for this kinda dealie), can live with or without brakes, crampons a must, down more important than up. For booties, also needing some recco's. Like em stiff, high & need a wide/high volume forefoot. I take it mounting the bindings is no different than any other bindings? (will probably go with inserts)

So, who's riding what? Love to hear the good, bad and fugly from all the mile munchers out there. All tips and recommendations appreciated.

Cheers
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
For next season I'm considering something along the lines of:

http://dpsskis.com/ski/wailer99

+

http://www.dynafit.com/product/bindings/tlt-radical-ft-110mm-z12

(I think, haven't though too much about bindings)

+

http://www.skinet.com/skiing/photo-gallery/dynafits-new-gear?pnid=127217

(Assuming they fit)

Hmmm. Money could be a slight problem...
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
^ Shocked, go the whole hog and get diamonds on the soles of your boots! Those 99s look fab
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
barry, Dynafit TLT's seem to be getting quite popular as an everyday binding in Scotland (there are at least 2 other Scottish snowheads I know of that use them) and that was enough endorsement to make me go with them too. I also saw quite a few folk in Verbier using them so it's obviously not just an Alba thing. I can vouch for Quiver Killer inserts and getting them fitted by Spyderjon ... they are most excellent & having now used them in earnest several times, reckon swapping bindings from one pair to another takes about 20 minutes for Dynafits (some screws are obscured by binding so heel gap needs a fiddle each time) and 10 minutes for Markers. If you're going to be weight weenying with bindings, then Scott Crusair or Powdair (90 mm or 100mm underfoot) are a really good match, as they are lightweight but plenty powerful and very solid. My Powdairs only got 2 days in Verbier's powder plus a day at Glenshee on crud & crust. I've spent most of my time on the Crusairs with Dynafits because they really are a do-it-all combination, they're still super-floaty in powder despite being a bit narrower and inspire confidence when you need to noodle tight turns or grip Scottish hardpack. I'll be out and about over the next couple of weekends & hope to take in a day at Cairngorm so if you want to have a looksie at the hardware & show me where the good snow is ....

You already know that http://www.wildsnow.com/ has all the really geeky answers you need though. wink

Great video at Braearich by 'scomuir' on his Scott Crusairs ...
http://youtube.com/v/QxAkTC8GRqg

My Quiver Killer thread with pix is here ... http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=81798
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
if i was buying now, I'd get Plum bindings but they don't make brakes for them yet so depends whether you care about that
don't see the point of Onyx bindings
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
cheers Ross, good info (and deffo a good endorsement of the TLTs), am happy enough mounting quiver killers, have it done it a couple of times to swap my teles between skis, although i'd likely keep a dyna pretty much to one set (either an 87 or 99 waist movement, both pretty light for their size). What boots you on? that might be a bit tricky for me as do need plenty of room in the front

as for the snow, well this morning, there's some on the ground in Aviemore, and the hill looks slightly whiter than it has been, but we need plenty more - I'm usually pretty laid back and patient about the lean times, but a getting a bit edgy now i must admit). Looking to get out to a few lesser-known areas this season (eg up into the trees behing glenmore lodge and that way towards Ryvoan/Nethy Bridge, and there's some hills behind Kingussie & Newtonmore that look very interesting)

edit: I see your boots now in the pics

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Thu 19-01-12 10:24; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Arno, yes, the Plums look very interesting - I get the impression that they've managed to strengthen for downhill further into basically an uphill model if that makes sense.
Think i can live without a brake, though the plum website says there is something new coming in feb this year which might be interesting
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
barry, i have TLT speeds which I like a lot but it would be great to be able to set the DIN at 10 without them being maxed out. Plums go to 12 so that would be the main benefit for me. Plus they are sooo pretty Madeye-Smiley
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
There have been a few issues reported with the Plums on TGR... broken toe wings, loose screws in the heel unit. Hard to get any idea of the failure rate though, and there have been lots of happy owners. Plum brakes have been 'coming soon' for quite a while, too.

Scarpa, Garmont, Tecnica and Dynafit are all coming out with shiny new boots this year, but not in time for this season unless you're lucky. Might be worth holding off buying dedicated tech/AT boots, unless you were intending to get an interchangeable sole boot.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Tecinica Cochise certainly looks like an interesting option. I tried a pair on very quickly in Chamonix and they seemed a reasonable fit for me, although I was a little concerned they'd pack out and turn into a wellie. Great walk mode
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
SZK is a bit grumpy about the Cochise, but that's the only source of dislike that I've come across. I believe they're bringing out a lighter weight version later this year.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Serriadh, didn't see that. What's his gripe with them?
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Durability, by the looks of it. I don't know if there are any reviews by anyone who has used them for any length of time, yet.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Serriadh, cheers. sounds like a case of seeing how people get on with them this season... not that i need new boots for the next couple of seasons
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Arno wrote:
if i was buying now, I'd get Plum bindings but they don't make brakes for them yet so depends whether you care about that
don't see the point of Onyx bindings

Out of interest, why? Mainly the DIN?
snow conditions
^ Tecnica makes great ski boots (owned 3 pairs in 10 years).
The Cochise looks a like great bit of kit.

My understanding is some ski shops get a bit pissed off with their distribution & pricing / pay up front strategy that favors the big shops & web stores - hence the likely 'grumpiness' in posts like above.

Quote:
Talk me into Dynafit(-style) setup

What is not to like about dynafit ? For a dedicated touring set up they are better going up and down.....
The thing people forget is that your are eliminating lifted weight.
So every stride becomes much easier - over 600m vertical climbing the 500g-1kg saving equates to almost a tonne.
For ascending its a real game changer (in the same way that wider ski's make off piste easier).

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Thu 19-01-12 13:18; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
clarky999 wrote:
Out of interest, why? Mainly the DIN?

They're soooooooo shiny Shocked
/magpie
snow report
Haggis_Trap wrote:
So every stride becomes much easier - over 600m vertical climbing the 500g-1kg saving equates to almost a tonne.

so if i were at my optimum fighting weight, that'd be an extra 15 tonnes left at the bottom of the hill Shocked Laughing

dynafit the safer bet than plums then in terms of proven reliability etc. then I guess? (the big range of dyna models has me a touch confused though)
New boot options coming is good news - means the current offerings will be cheaper on clearence deals wink
latest report
barry wrote:
dynafit the safer bet than plums then in terms of proven reliability etc. then I guess?

Seldom worth being an early adopter. Something like the Vertical ST has been around for a fair old time... its deficiencies, and the things you can do to overcome them, seem reasonably well known, and Dynafit have been doing this sort of thing for a while. The Plums are much younger, and their manufacturers haven't been making such things for all that long by comparison.

For a similar reason, it might not be worth rushing off to buy Dynafit Radicals, given that this is their first season, and there's already been one official 'necessary technical upgrade'.
ski holidays
Clarky999, when you buy that set up could you get me one too? If I bought all that, I couldn't afford to go skiing!

Personally, I'd go 99s, Plums and the new Maestrale RS, http://www.wildsnow.com/6561/scarpa-backcountry-boots-2012-13/

For those using tech bindings without breaks, what are you using as a leash?
latest report
just for balance, Dynafits don't have a pefect record. in fact, the Radical design is supposed to address an issue with the toepiece on the Verticals. i think the heel pins will always be the weakpoint on tech bindings however

clarky999, i think i already answered you question Little Angel
snow report
Quote:

Clarky999, when you buy that set up could you get me one too? If I bought all that, I couldn't afford to go skiing!

Thinking about it, I may have problems myself, no student loan and overdraft next year Sad
snow report
Spent ages uhming and ahing over whether to go for Dynafits and eventually took the plunge and have used them in all conditions. I'm still a bit nervous on some terrains/snow conditions but it's easing.

Started to a miss a bit of downhill performance from conventional boots but it looks like it won't be too hard to rectify that soon Very Happy
ski holidays
anyone comment on the relative fits of the current tech boots available? or anyone with similar wide-forefoot-clown feet wearing anything in particular? Used to be (I think) that brands generally kept the same lasts/characteristics but now seems there is quite some variation within the brands these days, meaning the ball is right up on the shlates when trying to filter down to some possibles rolling eyes
snow conditions
barry, Scarpa have a rep for wider fitting & is allegedly something to do with its Italian heritage.

Arno, my TLT's are verticals (FT12's) and have the wee carbon plate mod under the toe piece wings so no problem needs addressing. Verticals really are solid and some models are good to 'DIN' 12.

Alans deep bath, I also saw the snow shoes in your pix. wink
snow report
my garmont shoguns will be keeping me out of the boot market for a while
i think my foot is quite like yours. with an aftermarket thermoformable liner, they fit very nicely. the supplied liner is cr@p but they are about EUR100 cheaper than most of their competition so buying the aftermarket liner isn't too much of a blow
snow report
moffatross, like this? Wink

(in seriousness, Colin Samuels is a ripper and puts far more stress on his bindings than most of will ever)
snow conditions
linky no worky

anyway, here's the full thing

http://www.wildsnow.com/4371/dynafit-breakage-ft-to/
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
moffatross, snowshoes for the snowboarder! Proof Laughing
ski holidays
I've done five weeks on Vertical ST Dynafits fixed with Quiver Killer inserts to Scott Missions, Crusairs and now DPS Wailer 112s, (the lighter ones with a carbon layer), boots are BD Factors. I was going to add some Marker touring bindings have never got around to buying them and have just used the Dynafits for everything. Never had any problem with the bindings, just had to bend the 110mm brakes and crampons to fit the wider DPS skis. The crampons had to be heated with a blow torch before bending them to fit. I've had a couple of vertical prereleases but after increasing the vertical din to 7.5, nothing (I weigh 70kg). Prior to buying the Wailers I'd never skied on anything wider than 90mm underfoot but I find the 112s just awesome. In soft snow they just want to go but they'll carve on piste and aren't too bad in moguls. Well chuffed with this setup Smile
snow report
Arno, yep, not much chance of me breaking mine either but in any case, that's why I bought the carbon plate mod referred to in the article ...

Lou @ wildsnow wrote:
Also, I’m thinking that it might be smart for those of you using FT with big boots and big skis to install the Dynafit Power Plate, since it provides more support at the outside edge of the binding base.

Alan's deep bath ... nice video, didn't see it on your FB ... I should have paid more attention. Laughing You skiing this w/e ?

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Thu 19-01-12 16:14; edited 1 time in total
snow report
moffatross, my TLTs are probably far more flimsy than FTs but I am happy enough with them for pretty challenging skiing - so don't want to overstate the issue. everything will break if you abuse it enough anyway Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
moffatross wrote:
barry, Scarpa have a rep for wider fitting & is allegedly something to do with its Italian heritage.

they do indeed, but there has been some variation within their range too, eg the 75mm tele stuff i tried from them nearly crippled me but their NTN tele boots are luurrvly for my tootsies (I found similar with Crispi - an old AT pari of Crispis I have are cosy-osy-comfy but I nearly cried like a little girl when I tried their tele stuff). Never tried Garmont yet, i'm hearng Dyna boots themselves tend to be on the narrow side?

rolling eyes
latest report
barry wrote:
anyone comment on the relative fits of the current tech boots available? or anyone with similar wide-forefoot-clown feet wearing anything in particular?

Current-gen dynafits have comparatively narrow forefoots, which is annoying. Their new models are rumoured to have a slightly different fit; hard to tell without anyone actually having them in stock! You're probably best off booking a trip to Chamonix and visiting a bootfitter there who will have a decent range to try; places in the UK only seem to stock a few different AT boots at best.
latest report
just spent four days touring with some very good skiers (national team members) and the guy on dynafits came out twice at high speed, had the bindings cranked full up, maybe 75 kg.

they seem great for going up and gentle downhill but if you bend a ski in the turn not sure i would fancy em...

guide was on cruiseairs and dynafits and beasted us uphill.. My 191 mantras and dukes put me at a slight disadvantage wink
ski holidays
lllloooollll, you people will have me on P44.5 with mrs barry, I came on asking about boots and bindings, and now you have me looking at carbon wailers and trips to Cham aswell Laughing

(the boots thing is a conspiracy between shops and suppliers to stop me knowing what i like, sticking to it and getting them through the post (when was the last time your Mondo in one boot was the same as another?) wink
snow report
skimottaret, pre-releases like that are very often user error - either not having the heel adjusted properly or not clearing the snow out of the toe piece

they do require a bit of care and precision which is why I don't use them as an everyday binding
snow conditions
Arno, could very well be the case as they were rentals but the lad was giving it some today came off a roller and maybe only 5ft of air and landed clean but got pinged out, quite entertaining though watching a skier cross athlete go tumbling !!
ski holidays
skimottaret wrote:
maybe 75 kg

hmm, I can beat that...japaneasy rolling eyes (though probably wouldnt be skiing as hard as dudes like that)
latest report
skimottaret, I've been using Dynafit's for more than quite a few years, and indeed have toured with Mr Dynafit and his son (had my legs torn off see very old blog http://www.gavinbaylis.com/ski/ ) and have tour with very good skiers (La Grave guides and the like) all who use Dynafit - has to be said that some people lock their binding at the front into climbing mode when using them for downhill, relying on the heel to release, but these are the sort of guys who don't fall.

I did question when I did my ACl last year whether it was compounded by using Dynafit, I know one ski released (thought I'd lost it) but can't remember which one!

If I do tour this year, I might well use the Dukes on my Missions as opposed to my Mount Bakers with D'Fit as I will loosen off the din.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy