Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

greatest apres ski bar in the world

Poster: A snowHead
La (or Le) Mine in Plagne 1800 can be excellent, except for the very nasty wide shouldered lass working there Shocked
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Having just come back from Val I'm going to say La Folie Douce, by a country MILE. Thought it was amazing last year and it was just as good this year. Can't wait to go again next year!
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Hexen Kessl in Tux
Ice Bar in Mayrhofen
Mooserwirt in St Anton
Bruck n Stadl in Mayrhofen (before they ruined it)
Pub at bottom of return to village in Soll.

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Mon 16-04-12 15:51; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Going to go for:

1) The Ronnie - Meribel
2) La Folie Douce - Val D'Isere
3) La Folie Douce - Val Thorens

I like la Mine in Plagne 1800 - wouldn't really call it an apres-ski bar though in the sense of the full party atmosphere - unless it has livened up in the last few years since we were last there.

My best apres-ski days are sadly behind me and fondest memories are of the unmatchable Rond Point des Pistes. Toofy Grin
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
You havent done Apres Ski if you havent been to Rotterdam Happy

Open 365 Days a year

http://www.deapresskihut.nl/

http://youtube.com/v/YUnoAzm3NAc
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
The Silver Bullet in Bad Gastein

Hinterhag Alm in Saalbach then roll down the hill to Spitz Bub Brolly bar...
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Another vote for the Hinterhag here. 11 days and counting....
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Back in the day, when I had stamina the Moosewirt and Londoner were epic. Me and a mate were in Kitzbuhel in 1987 and wandered into the Londoner on the night we arrived. Cut to the next morning, none of the other guests at breakfast were making eye contact, and the waitress said "last night you were very drunk I think". To this day, I have no idea what happened, but it can't have been good... Confused
Now, sitting in the Yeti Bar in Cervinia with a Bombardino and a bowl of monkey nuts watching Eurosport bloopers is pretty much standard.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

Another vote for the Hinterhag here.

I spent 20 years skiing in France and telling people about the wonderful, if slightly insane, Hinterhag Alm apres-ski party (4.00-7.30pm daily from Boxing Day till end of March). I first experienced it in 1987 and it hasn't changed much. The eccentric owner, Evi Fersterer, is still chucking hearts over the balcony to the strains of "Unchained Melody", as she has for the past 40 odd years, and the iconic singer/musician, Josef Solar is still putting his heart and soul into every performance, despite having done so every evening of every winter season since around 1980. Not only an apres-ski party (possibly one of the best in the Alps), but an institution!
Google it - there are plenty of excerpts on Youtube.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I haven’t been to all, but here is my list:

1.londoner - kitzbuhel. Unreal.

2. Longhorn -whistler. Has to be on this list...just too good.

3. Garfinkels - Vail. Great patio.

Honourable mention, Garibaldi Lift Co. Whistler.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I don’t think it can be the best unless it’s got a decent ski down afterwards. Apres full of people who’ve gone home and got changed isn’t as good.

Also have to say a good live band is better than a DJ is better than Oompah.

Does that make the Rond Pont the only contender?
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:

I don’t think it can be the best unless it’s got a decent ski down afterwards. Apres full of people who’ve gone home and got changed isn’t as good.
Also have to say a good live band is better than a DJ is better than Oompah.
Does that make the Rond Pont the only contender?

The Hinterhag just about qualifies - those who ski (or try to ski) down considerably exceed in number those who get a taxi or the chair lift up, and the music's live.
To a lesser degree the Goassstall in Hinterglemm also qualifies (see
http://youtube.com/v/ZJwSY_zNkSg ). Sometimes it has live music, in the form of big apres-ski stars like DJ Oetzi and Micki Krauser.
The Bergeralm at Saalbach is another highly thought-of apres-ski bar - very lively and involves a ski down afterwards of several km (frequently in the dark) - no live music though, only apres party music, but it's enough to get people up on their seats.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I’ve changed my mind.

Cocorico in Val d’Isere is epic!
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@HoneyBunny, As a matter of interest, how much is a beer at the Folie Douce, and at Cocorico?
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
The nearest bar to the bottom of the home run in any Austrian resort will always have a great atmosphere for a couple of hours from 4pm. Even in quiet places like Lanersbach (the Hexenkessel bar), Damuls ( the umbrella bar by the main lift) or Gerlos you’ll find somewhere pumping out Country Roads or the Ice Bear song whilst everyone drinks schnapps and Jagermeister like it’s new years eve. In France the Coco Rico in VDI is ok and there used to be a decent place in Chamonix which was always full of Aussies (can’t remember is name). But somehow the French haven’t really got the hang of the 4pm apres-ski thing.
ski holidays
tatmanstours wrote:
@HoneyBunny, As a matter of interest, how much is a beer at the Folie Douce, and at Cocorico?

I think 7.5 Euros in the Folie (massive rip-off, never have more than one drink in there - but you're paying for the cabaret too). I don't drink beer in Cocorico so I don't know, but it's 30 Euros for a bottle of white wine.
snow report
Aafter having frequented quite a few of these place now I am going to change my initial answer to
Hinterhagalm, Tatman, insane is a great way to describe it Shocked Laughing
I still do love the Dampfkessel and my third slot goes to the FolieDouce.

It must be a sign of getting old I havent done a single Apres Session yet this season prefering to slink off home and rub Ibuprophene into my aching limbs.
ski holidays
It was

Cafe Christine

Ischgl

and

Austrian Railways Old Station Bar in St Anton
ski holidays
@Kooky, Once described by my son (somewhat unfairly, as it seems to be a melting pot of all ages, as well as nationalities) as a “rave for old people”. Maybe that’s why we like it 😉
I know you also like (on the right days) the Bergeralm and the Spitzbub.
latest report
@stanton, No doubt about it!! Very Happy Ah, memories!
snow report
for me coco rico is miles better than folie douce in Val. If you were there a season you'd go Folie once or twice.
KK and Mooserwirt also up there.
latest report
@mk28, agreed. I usually pop in to the Folie just once while I'm there - then have a quick relaxing drink at the Rosee before awesome party time at Cocorico.
snow report
Coincidentally just skied down from the Hinterhag after a brilliant (as usual) party. Closing number, Leonard Cohen’s “Hallelujah”, which got the whole place singing along 😀
snow report
To update my entry its :

Papperla in Zermatt
Hennustall in Zermatt
Londoner in Kitzbuhel ( although it was 30 years ago)
Luiskeller in Selva was also very good a couple of years ago.

Its interesting the number of French entries, they could NEVER do apres ski. It seems they are now taking an interest. My daughter has recommended Folie in Megeve - they seem to be a bit of a chain? The pizza express of apres perhaps Toofy Grin ( I like pizza express by the way)
snow report
Quote:

Londoner in Kitzbuhel ( although it was 30 years ago)

and that was when it was good. I was in there a few weeks back and it's run down and tired. And smokey - jeez I wish they'd kick that habit once and for all.

Hohenhaus Tenne Schladming or Tux - at least you don't have to put the skis back on.

Hinterhag definitely right up there.

Mooserwirt pretty hard to beat.
snow conditions
Wow ... Someone else knows Damuuls Very Happy @MontyP,

We used to make our own apres up the hill ... 1971 Haus Bermat

The Mooser is worth a visit, but I cant say I enjoyed it that much.
Too crowded, but its a must see.

I always enjoyed the Londoner right up till closing time.
But there are lots of good bars in Kitz
ski holidays
@twoodwar Re Zermatt been twice, but I can never remember the names of the bars Very Happy There was one with a staircase directly from the street into a basement with a bar. And when you walk across to the other side of the bar you find yourself overlooking a dance floor in the sub-basement mezzanine style. Any idea? I will have to see if I can dig out some old photos
snow report
The one where I downed a yard of ale while attached (upside down) to the skis on the ceiling. It was in Arinsal somewhere but for some strange reason I can't remember the name. rolling eyes Laughing Laughing
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Skido, I reckon its the nightclub below the Papperla, schneewitten or something like that ( cant be bothered to check). I'm too old to go in there and prefer to make a fool of myself dancing to the live rock covers band in the Papperla snowHead
ski holidays
For me it would be the following, in no particular order:

Luiseller - Selva: First ever ski trip and experience of apres ski.

L'Murin - Corvara: Not the liveliest, wildest place, but just loved the venue and setting and I could ski back to hotel after

Piz Seteur - Selva: My first indoor/outdoor apres venue. Lovely setting, lovely views and lovely atmosphere.

Edelweiss - Colfosco: Lovely apres hut surrounded by goregeous scenery and great atmosphere even during low season week

Hinterhag - Saalbach: Superb!! Mention also to Spitzpub, Bauers (inside) and Burgi's!!

Kuhstall - Wagrain: My number 1!!. Chilling outside till the sun went down, then inside by the open fire to warm up and a couple of hours of complete madness.
So many people coming up shaking our hands, hugging us, dancing with us and buying us drinks. All we were doing was dancing and probably not particularly good at that!!
But so many people just loved it!! I wish I could relive that particular week!!
snow report
twoodwar wrote:
Skido, I reckon its the nightclub below the Papperla, schneewitten or something like that ( cant be bothered to check). I'm too old to go in there and prefer to make a fool of myself dancing to the live rock covers band in the Papperla snowHead

Yes! I'm sure that was it I remember it had an odd sounding name. I went in schneewitten twenty five years ago and again (against my better judgement) about five years ago. But I think if/when I go back it might have to be Papperla for me to - although I might have a swift half in schneewittenwen just for old times sake.

All that said I think the very best apri bars are the ones a the bottom of the slopes when they are full of people.

I also fondly remember la-folie douce in Alpe D'Huez. Big queue for the bar - better get 2 in to avoid queueing twice we thought. We had sat down for about 5 minutes and it was time at the bar - they wanted to get everyone out before the lifts shut in case anyone had had too much and needed to take the lift back down. Stangely no one thought they had had too much Toofy Grin and by the time they got everyone out the lifts had shut anyway. There was a helarious spectical of 6 Irish lads all well tanked up dressed as guinness bottles trying to make their way down the slope in formation (not). It was a bit bit like mobile skittles Very Happy Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
Timmerstugan on a Sunday, Åre.

Mooserwirt, St Anton.

Winnies, Queenstown.

The Silver Bullet, Bad Gastein.
snow conditions
Agree with most of the suggestions, except the Londoner, worst apri ski bar I have been to.
ski holidays
@JimboS, Sorry I loved the Londoner back in 92, 93
The place was clean, the beer was only 55 schillings a pint and the waitresses were all young and pretty.
Music was the same tape from years ago then, Country Road, Vincent, REM, American Pie etc.

But that was 25 years ago and perhaps they have not cleaned it since.
The same girls are probably still there but probably haven't aged well due to the late nights and sheer amount of alcohol.
They admit themselves its a Peter Pan place where people go for a season and never grow up or leave.

I did stay in their hostel one night and they have their own bar when they get back at the end of the night.
You can drink there with them, when I finally went to bed the sun was shining and the birds were tweeting VERY LOUD.

I don't know if the "Bosna" van is still there by the arch in the city wall?
latest report
The Kickapoo Tavern, Keystone
ski holidays
DrLawn, @JimboS,, I think its now clear that the Londoner WAS a very good apres ski bar. All things change.
ski holidays
Irrespective of the resort, the answer is always the same - the one the seasonnaires go to.
snow conditions
I was disappointed by Mooserwirt. Full of fat middle aged Austrians and posh brits who get out once a year.
latest report
In no particular order:

Griabli StA
HexenKessel Tux
Bar at base of Lionshead gondola in Vail before they knocked it down. Now anywhere Jonny Mogambo plays (his 'ski shots' and 'body surfing' performed by victims picked from the crowd live long in the memory!).
Goatstalle Saalbach
Tenne Haus Schladming

etc, etc,etc.
latest report
In no particular order:

Griabli StA
HexenKessel Tux
Bar at base of Lionshead gondola in Vail before they knocked it down. Now anywhere Jonny Mogambo plays (his 'ski shots' and 'body surfing' performed by victims picked from the crowd live long in the memory!).
Goatstalle Saalbach
Tenne Haus Schladming

etc, etc,etc.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy