Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

latest recommendations for Ski insurance please

Poster: A snowHead
I know this thread will have been done a 1000 times, however I would appreciate peoples latest recommendations. My lot ' Direct Travel' as recommended and advertise in the 'where to ski guide' has increased its premium from £71 to £239 in one year, with 1 person less on the policy!
I need Europe only, and off piste without a guide cover, - but obviously within agreed 'safe' itineried areas.
Any views would be welcome
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
twoodwar, indeed it has so suggest you do a search, but this is recent with a lot to say about Snowcard once you get into it http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=83930
I'm surprised at your quote from Direct Travel though....
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Snowcard +1
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks Holidayloverxx and altis.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
DogTag, and if you do have to claim really fast service and return of your expenditure. D iscount if you book through the link on snowHeads
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Just for anyone with Direct Travel, do not renew but take out a new policy. With a little less cover for belongings,(I really only want insurance for medical support and repatriation),moving from premier to budget, and medical cover of only £5M! I have got annual multi trip with off piste without a guide, for £70 again. Huge difference.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
twoodwar, what kind of questions did they ask when you told them about off piste without a guide - and any word on what it meant to say an area was "considered unsafe" by local authorities?

Quote:
Cover for these winter sports may require you to pay an additional premium over and above the normal winter
sports premium. In some cases, your excess under section B1 (Medical and other expenses outside of the
United Kingdom) will be increased to £250, and there will be no cover provided under section G (Personal
accident) and section H (Personal liability) whilst taking part in the activity.
If you intend to participate in any of the activities listed above, please ensure that you check with Direct Travel
Insurance Customer Services by phoning 0845 605 2500 or by e-mailing info@direct-travel.co.uk before taking
part.

IIRC there was a SHs thread in the last year about authorities trying to pursue individuals who had been reckless and caused avalanches - if that happened, would be a bit of a booger if your insurance company declined personal liability.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
pam w, I came aross that the other night and meant to post it - most worrying for those who have DT - like I did all last year Shocked
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
My offpiste is at the side of pistes, and crossing between them when there is plenty of powder. Nothing that in the slightest, that would I hope, could cause an avalanche. As best as I can determine and its in big letters on the site, I can do this, break a leg and still be covered. If you are far more serious about offpiste I'm sure you need to read a bit more closely. The wording as below

What winter sports activities do you cover?
Click here for a Ski Insurance quotation.

Bigfoot skiing, cat skiing or boarding, cross country skiing, curling, glacier skiing*, glacier walking (up to 4,000 metres), heli-skiing*, ice climbing*, ice curling, ice diving, ice hockey*, ice skating, kite skiing*, kite snowboarding*, langlauf, mono skiing, off piste skiing or snowboarding (except in areas considered to be unsafe by local resort management), skiing, ski/snow biking, ski/snow blading, ski randonee*, ski touring, ski-dooing*, sledging/sleighing, snowboarding, snow mobiling*, speed skating and tobogganing.

but excluding:

ski acrobatics, ski flying, skiing against local authority warning or advice, ski-stunting, ski jumping, ski mountaineering, or the use of bob sleighs, luges, bungees or skeletons;

Enough for me. Also I have had to claim off Direct Travel 8000 Euros for my daughters CL injury, a couple of years ago and was successful.- took a bit of effort but they paid in the end. snowHead
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
We have just had an invitation from Direct Travel to renew our annual policy. We have been with them for well over 10 years and have found the cover great - a couple of claims but dealt with very quickly and efficiently. However from this site I knew that cover was going down from unlimited numbers of days skiing as long as it was up to I think 15 per trip to a total of 17 per year. That's no use for us as we do more in retirement. I found that Fogg would cover up to 42 days a year which would have been good except they only cover up to age 64. We will be renewing with Tokio Marine which is only available from brokers but gives unlimited number of days skiing up to 45 per trip. That's more than we need but thought other OAPs who ski many times might find this useful.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
We went Virgin Travel this year. Kids for free. £61.01 for 2 adults and 3 kids for a year, Europe wide and included winter holidays. Not bad.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I have used Go Travel and have had to claim in the past for a missed flight- I would recommend them.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
BMC - never made a claim though so couldn't comment on that
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
mogulski, that's useful to know. Do Tokio Marine cover off piste without a guide? Did you come across any other companies that insure pensioners? Snowcard seem like the front runners at the moment (I think that's who pam w ended up with?)
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
We've just taken out a new policy with MPI Brokers which is one of a handful listed on a review of off piste cover by Henrys Avalanche Talk. They have an excellent off piste statement and offer very good value cover, no idea how they'll pan out if we need to make a claim but we were very pleased to find an insurance company that recognises the difficulties of off piste definitions! Our renewal quote from Dogtag had gone up too much this year to stay with them.
latest report
I've also signed up with MPI for an annual policy. As well as the off piste cover they also allow unlimited numbers of ski trips providing that each trip is 17 days or less. This is what I'd been searching for since Direct Travel changed their T's & C's to only cover 17 days in total.
latest report
+1 for Snowcard.

Excellent service from them recently, including a payout in full.
ski holidays
homphomp wrote:
We've just taken out a new policy with MPI Brokers which is one of a handful listed on a review of off piste cover by Henrys Avalanche Talk. They have an excellent off piste statement and offer very good value cover, no idea how they'll pan out if we need to make a claim but we were very pleased to find an insurance company that recognises the difficulties of off piste definitions! Our renewal quote from Dogtag had gone up too much this year to stay with them.

I was covered by MPI (through the company I worked for) when I fractured a vertebra last year.

They dealt with it excellently, they got an assistance company involved straight away and everything was sorted really easily.

Definitely recommend.
snow report
homphomp, Wags, I think I'm just about to go ahead with MPI, was just wondering whether either of you got a quote from Snowcard as well? Their off-piste wording isn't super-clear (as discussed in detail on another thread) and I'm slightly inclined not to bother even getting a quote from them, particularly since I know that MPI will cover my pre-existing conditions for only an extra £50pa.
ski holidays
Pedantica, I did have a look at Snowcard and was bamboozled by their back country/slack country/lift served free ride/etc/etc definitions. Also, I think that for me they were significantly more expensive than MPI, as I'd have to pay for one of their more expensive packages to get the number of weeks Winter sports cover that I need.

Google searching showed that for some years MPI have provide insurance for the staff of a few significant tour operators such as Skiworld and Total. So, even though MPI didn't have any track record on snowHeads, that gave me some confidence to give them a try.
snow report
Wags, thank you, that's very reassuring!
snow conditions
Are DogTag price increases in any way related to the number of snowHead 's with ACL issues?
latest report
Pedantica, Wags, Cathy and I emailed Snowcard about off-piste definitions - the answerwas very clear. The thread is somewhere in Apres IIRC....
ski holidays
Boredsurfing wrote:
DogTag, and if you do have to claim really fast service and return of your expenditure. D iscount if you book through the link on snowHeads

I just tried that:

Total Cost of Coverage
Prices include insurance premium tax Base £155.60 Pro £192.68 Max £239.03
Total Cost of Coverage (Including Discount)
Prices include insurance premium tax Base £155.60 Pro £192.68 Max £239.03

Seems the discount isn't working, and fwiw, snowcard is cheaper with better terms.
snow report
holidayloverxx wrote:
Pedantica, Wags, Cathy and I emailed Snowcard about off-piste definitions - the answerwas very clear. The thread is somewhere in Apres IIRC....
Yes I've seen it, thanks.
latest report
holidayloverxx wrote:

They were too expensive anyway. To get more than 4 weeks Winter cover you have to go for their Max-Adrenalin-Total-Nutter type policy Toofy Grin
snow conditions
Wags, Ah, I just bought individual trips last year as I didnt know if I wanted European or North America cover last year.
ski holidays
I have an annual policy with axa it covers me for "off piste" t&c's make no mention of a guide... only stipulation is "skiing - off piste within resort boundaries"
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

I have an annual policy with axa it covers me for "off piste" t&c's make no mention of a guide... only stipulation is "skiing - off piste within resort boundaries"

What are the boundaries of a ski resort?

For the last couple of years I have had an annual policy with snowcard largely because they appear to be the only company that cover summer as well as winter holidays with mountaineering cover etc. and they are not too expensive.
ski holidays
 cran
cran
try http://www.mpibrokers.com/

I think when I looked it was £95 for the whole season.

when you do a quote remove the baggage and cancellation cover as they are not really needed and halves the cost.

They cover off piste and park...
snow report
cran,
Quote:

remove the baggage and cancellation cover as they are not really needed
I need them! I had to claim for two cancelled holidays last season.
snow report
 cran
cran
Pedantica wrote:
I need them! I had to claim for two cancelled holidays last season.

Ok, so maybe some people do need them Toofy Grin

remove them only if you don't need them...
latest report
Pedantica, Sorry...been celebrating rather than browsing sH's Very Happy We did quote snowcard but they were just too expensive as was our Dogtag renewal. We need fairly hefty cover for Mr HH penchant for touring the snowy wilds and MPI were the best value for that. I like their off piste statement....you don't know if you're off piste, we don't know, even the judges can't work it out....if you're skiing you're covered. Works for us.
latest report
homphomp, I think I will bookmark them for when we need to sort out winter sports cover in December.Our bank insurance has pretty comprehensive cover, but no off-piste without a guide, and I don't think it is worth the risk that they won't pay out when you need it.
snow report
Highly recommend Protect your Bubble. One very large claim dealt with perfectly. Better prices than any quoted so far on this thread. Proper off piste coverage too.
snow conditions
homphomp,
Quote:

been celebrating
Yep, I noticed. Your friend's spelling has deteriorated quite a bit. wink

Quote:

We did quote snowcard but they were just too expensive
Brilliant, that's what I wanted to hear. When I did a 'like for like' online comparison (which would have been inadequate given my history, but useful just for a broad view) it did look that way. And Dogtag were no use for me - apart from anything else, they're ageist! And if MPI will cover me for pre-existing conditions for just £50pa, I'm even happier. Roll on the first holiday in October! Very Happy
ski holidays
My Snowcard annual policy ran out in March, I didn't renew it as the cost had gone up by a lot over that for previous years.
latest report
beeryletcher, that looks like it will cover only one trip per year of up to 17 days. No good if you go skiing more than once a season.
snow report
rjs, so who did you go for instead, or have you not yet chosen? I must say that I'm sad the Direct Travel option was closed down, they dealt with my claim and a horrendous claim by my brother-in-law absolutely brilliantly.
snow report
and Protect your bubble only goes up to age 55 for skiers, which will omit many people on this site (although not myself for a while yet.
Pedantica, also sad about DT, medical assistance in France was brilliant, although they let themselves down a little when it came to processing the claim. I think the claims handling side has changed since though. I ended up with a single trip policy with them for our March holiday as I couldn't find an alternative that I was happy with.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy