Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Stick on finger tips for touch screen phones

Poster: A snowHead
Hi Everyone.

At this years Ski and Snow show at Excel I saw a company selling stick on finger tip "things" that enable you to still be able to use your touch screen phone with gloves on.

Now I know you can buy gloves with this ability already in, but I like my gloves as they have the splint in the wrists built in.

I wish I had bought a pack of these stick on things at the show, but I took a leaflet things I can just order them off their website anytime. Guess what, Ive lost the leafted (how did I not see that coming?!!)

Anyone know where I can get some? I fly out early Sunday and would love to get some before I go!!!

cheers
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
You can get the same benefit by sewing a few loops of conductive thread (which is easily available online; don't know where you'd find it in the real world though) through the glove's finger pad. Failing that, you can always just get a bit of conductive tape or paint and decorate the appropriate places, but just be prepared to patch it up often. I doubt the stick-on pads would be much more robust though.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
hmmmm..... was hoping they would be a simple solution.

why cant anything be simple?!!
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You want simple?

Take your glove off Little Angel
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Not quite sure how a stick on finger tip would actually work with a capacitive touch screen unless it has something that (electrically) connects it to you as per the above conductive thread suggestion?

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Wed 18-01-12 17:16; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Neil,
Quote:

why cant anything be simple?!!

I thought I had the info here as well, but I binned it wink
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I think a previous thread discussed this topic and the best advice was to keep your gloves on and use your nose to activate the touch screen!

chemistry
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
chemistry, lol ive tried that! ....doesnt work! NehNeh
I guess its not a major problem, but would have been nice to have.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Amazing what Google and a spare 18 seconds can turn up : http://www.urgadgetshop.com/product767168_3825370.aspx

And damn... I just became one of those people who say that. Shame on me Embarassed

Have fun!

More here http://www.google.co.uk/m/products?client=safari&hl=en&source=univ&aq=f&oq=&aqi=-k0d0t0&fkt=2789&fsdt=11014&cqt=&rst=&htf=&his=&maction=&q=capacitive+touch+screen+%2Bpen+%2Bgloves
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
stuarth wrote:
Not quite sure how a stick on finger tip would actually work with a capacitive touch screen unless it has something that (electrically) connects it to you as per the above conductive thread suggestion?

Me neither... a quick few tests with conductive objects here showed that they'd only work if they were electrically coupled to me. However, there's nothing intrinsically magic about a capacitative sensor that means only a human can make it go, as far as I can tell. I'm assuming the OP tested the system himself, rather than just watching a snake-oil demonstration !
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I have some North Face fleece windstopper gloves with their "powertip" finger and thumb, just looks to be a bit of conductive material.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Put down the phone and step away - YOU'RE ON HOLIDAY!!! Madeye-Smiley
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
i bought some of those etip tnf gloves, and yes they work..but then i tried my RAB mountain gloves and they worked just the same..and they're think gloves..though they were damp and have leather finger tips..
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
You will look like a right loser with cheap bits of tat stuck on the end of your glove fingers.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
tell that to tron guy
snow report
i've seen somebody rub thermal grease on there gloves and had that work with iphones, don't ask me how.
ski holidays
Neil, just tried my leather gloves, and my nose works best, but the touch screen looks a little smeared now Toofy Grin
ski holidays
Perhaps I am missing something here, but for the purposes of a one or two week ski holiday why not buy a cheap phone with buttons on it and just put the SIM into it for the week, you also then don't risk dropping an expensive touch screen effort in the snow, off a lift, falling on it or any of the many numerous misfortunes that could happen to a phone on the slopes. Errr....SIMPLES said the meerkats Madeye-Smiley
latest report
well they are very handy non sking aswell..football or rugby matches..winter walks..etc.
ski holidays
I might not understand quite how they work, but if you are going to insist on using a touch screen one is there any scope for using a conductive stylus of some sort - you could probably tether a suitable tool to the phone using a bit of gnarly duck tape. Do they require something in contact with a body or would any metal tipped object do?
snow conditions
Serriadh wrote:
However, there's nothing intrinsically magic about a capacitative sensor that means only a human can make it go, as far as I can tell. !

Well yes and no. It is to do with the surface area you (as a person) present as you become a relatively large plate of a capacitor, making a capacitive circuit.
ski holidays
Megamum wrote:
I might not understand quite how they work, but if you are going to insist on using a touch screen one is there any scope for using a conductive stylus of some sort - you could probably tether a suitable tool to the phone using a bit of gnarly duck tape. Do they require something in contact with a body or would any metal tipped object do?

As stuarth pointed out above, its all about size in the end. Capacitative stylii usually work because they are electrically coupled to a person, but they're not much good on their own. One of the things I tried yesterday was a screwdriver with an insulated handle: didn't work, unless I was touching a metal bit.
ski holidays
I'm trying very hard to resisting every sarcastic urge I've ever felt here when I say...just take your gloves off.
Please.
For the future of the human race...
Ta.
latest report
The best solution is clearly just to keep a sausage in your pocket with the phone and use it as a stylus.
ski holidays
Serriadh, OK, so you need a small metal plate slipped inside the glove/helmet/waistband with a conductive piece of wire attached and a socket to plug in a stylus on the end, or have the stylus attached to the wire permanantly and tuck it inside the glove, goggle strap, behind ear etc. until needed. I bet it wouldn't take much electical nouse to do, in fact I bet one of those earthing wristbands with the small croc clip on the end might suffice worn under the glove - the wire can click off on my one - I expect you could drive the screen with the rounded end of the croc clip.

Dragons den anyone?
ski holidays
Big Paua, already suggested that Very Happy
kieranm, it would have to be a pretty big sausage Shocked It would have the secondary benefit of attracting rescue dogs in an accident though, so maybe its not all bad.
Megamum, sure, that would work. I think I'd find that a bit irritating. Is my original suggestion (few loops of conductive thread through the glove fingertips) really so bad or inconvenient?
ski holidays
kieranm wrote:
The best solution is clearly just to keep a sausage in your pocket with the phone and use it as a stylus.

Since as described above, size is important, will this work in the cold? wink
snow conditions
Serriadh, I've no idea as I've neither got a touch screen phone or really hanker after one. My guessed at reservations might be the fact that you would puncture the end of the glove and possibly invalidate any waterproofing guarantee, the other being given the size of the finger tip of the glove, you might not able to achieve the desired level of point and click accuracy to grab at the icons on the screen let alone use pinch and draw technology.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
And there was me thinking we had exhausted every possible numpty,snow related idea............clearly not rolling eyes Laughing
ski holidays
I just take my glove off when I need to use my phone. Though at work I use a pair of North Face E-tips, they work pretty damn well too though they're not much more than liners.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy