Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Phoenix Holidays / Merebeech / Take Me Too / Take Me To (Ski

Poster: A snowHead
Edit:

Firstly I would like to apoligise on behalf of all the staff of the hotel in Alpe Dhuez and the chalets in Tignes to anyone who booked or has booked with any of these companies. We came out here as seasonaires and worked our hardest for a company which I feel like was designed to fail. Issues with staff and management, followed by the sudden and suspicious collapse of the business has left us with no jobs money and soon no accomodation, and loads of people have lost out on holidays. Ive been on skiing holidays myself (as you can confirm in my old posts) and so have many of the staff so we all know how people budget and save and webcam watch in anticipation of that week ago.

Sad

(original post follows from the snow conditions thread)

Sorry guys things have been so crazy I havent been online much. Basically, I have been working in the real life faulty towers. Fighting between staff and managers, theft, no heating and hot water one day, no internet and phones one day, no food one day.

You can see how unhappy customers have been here:

http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotel_Review-g196704-d578227-Reviews-Hotel_Les_Grandes_Rousses-L_Alpe_d_Huez_Isere_Rhone_Alpes.html

(ignore the obviously fake positive reviews)

And now, the company has gone into administration - terminated our contracts with immediate affect and offered us a coach home.

The hotel is Les Grandes Rousses in Alpe Dhuez and the company who ran it Take me Too are involved in something very dodgy - We had France3 national news here to report on the fact that we have not been paid properly, also featured a local newspaper, and its making its way to the UK:

http://www.thisisgloucestershire.co.uk/20-jobs-Phoenix-Holidays-goes-administration/story-14421292-detail/story.html

No bills have been paid - hotel rent of 300,000E, ESF, SATA (lift passes), eletricity, METRO (cash and carry), nothing. All the company assets including offices, buildings etc are leased to minimize their losses

Another company Travelscope was ran by Richard Ford - the company went bust in Dec 2008 and it was revealed that Richard owes £600,000 in personal loans he took out against the company:

http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/markets/article-1622244/The-tearful-travel-boss-is-accused-over-loans.html

His company was then bought by Pheonix Holidays who also own Take Me Too and Take Me To Ski. The names Darren Paris, Richard Ford and Johnathan something are related to this mess in one way or another (shareholders/directors) but I cannot say for sure.

The french bank account for this company has no money in it - all the takings for customers bookings have disappeared, so has £20,000 from the safe. all the tills are empty, and things have been stolen

Plus my phone got soaked in the jacuzzi and now my laptop wont recognise it. I have 100s of pics but I'll need to email them to myself one by one...

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Wed 18-01-12 18:15; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Wow Skola, its been a good week then ! Sad

Its truely a sad story for all concerned.

You said that they offered you a coach home, so are you still in resort ?
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Skola, best of luck to you, sounds grim.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Yeah only two people took the coach home. Take me too have leased the hotel for 3 years so the hotel owner is in court trying to prove the hotel has been abandoned and therefore the lease is no longer valid so she can run it herself. Half of us were offered jobs contracts pending this successful legal action, the rest of the people found jobs in alpe dhuez or in other resorts / countries.

Quite sad the team has been split up because we were all good friends.

In the mean time we are working minimum hours to keep the hotel clean + tidy and SATA have taken pity on us and not yet cancelled our ski passes. So, its not so bad to be honest - treat the hotel with respect but also get free use of the facilities + food.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
So working minimum hours that must mean more time on the mountain, every cloud has a sliver lining snowHead

Doing a season is one thing that I wished I would have done when I was younger, I wish you well and hope it all works out.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
8) .

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Tue 3-07-12 12:03; edited 2 times in total
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I was in Alpe d'Huez and stayed at the hotel. What a disaster. We were trying to get some money back and did some digging myself even visiting the offices in Gloucester - couldn't get past reception but waited and spoke to a charming lady who worked for the company who gave me some interesting back ground information: The first thing she said was that she felt the company had been insolvent for the last 2 years constantly not paying bills. There are 3 companies involved, Take Me Too, Merebeech and Phoenix Holidays. By all accounts Merebeech is the one with the ATOL license (have a look at caa atol website), but all have the same directors and guess what Ian Richardson and a rather nasty chap, so she said, called Jonathon Wackett were the main share holders in Take me to which then owned the most of Merebeech and Phoenix Holidays. Jonathon Wackett seems to have run the whole show (a quick google search shows him coming up as the CEO for the whole shebang) with Parris as his lap dog. A quick flick through Companies House shows that on 6 January both Wackett and Richardson resigned as directors from Phoenix Holidays and Richardson resigned from the other 2 companies leaving Messeurs Parris and Desai it seems to take the hit. The worst thing though is that they are still selling skiing holidays to Tignes - saying that the Tignes oeration was separate to the Alpe d'Huez one and run by Merebeech while Alpe d'Huez was run by Phoenix Holidays. How can it be? same website, same staff selling holidays... I called up yesterday and guess what I could save 20% on my holiday to Tignes! Its WRONG and needs to be stopped. Don't be dupped by these chaps.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Sorry for the off topicnes

Today it has been announced that the hotel is closing - the legal action to win back the hotel from the takemetoo lease will take at least a month meaning we miss the majority of Feb - in which case there is no point being open.

Proceedings to evict us from the apartment cannot take place until the current legal action is complete - so I have a place to stay for at least a month.

I'm officially a ski bum - it sounds great but the reality is poo-poo: We had an awesome group of people, most have left, some remain but if jobs arent found here soon everyone will leave resort and go their seperate ways.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
richcarboy, interesting stuff - i wonder who you are, you know the name Boris but I cant place you as a former member of staff. Would be interesting to talk in person but very unlikely (pm if interested).

I would like to state for the record that it was Benoit that headbutted Richard and not Boris.

Also, Darren fled with 2 members of staff nearly a week ago in the middle of the night - he was last seen in Amsterdam where he abandonded his car.

Take me to had some chalets in Tignes but a guy there just facebooked saying hes officially a ski bum so i think poo-poo has hit the fan there too...

edit: more stuff. i have a reliable connected friend here who tells me they are trying to take out an injunction to stop anyone from trying to pursue them for money. richard is in the bahamas. also, Desia is attempting to start proceeds to start a new company taking the customer base from the administrators or something similar - AGAIN

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Wed 18-01-12 12:18; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Nick D or Mods- I would like your help. Can we move this discussion to a seperate thread in the appropriate section? 1 - to keep this topic snow condition related and 2 - to make thisother discussion more searchable on google.

Phoenix Holidays / Merebeech / Take Me Too / Take Me To (Ski) - The inside story

anything like that would be a good topic title. if you can use tags to include the former directors names the resort names etc and move the related posts that would be great - is that possible?

I have a feeling that many more people would contribute to this dicussion if they could find it easier.

Thanks.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Skola, agree
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
BRAVO BENOIT !! Cool

Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Tue 3-07-12 12:04; edited 2 times in total
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Skola, you can't be evicted from an apartment in France during the winter, but not sure if that would apply to a season let.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
might find these make interesting reading
http://company-director-check.co.uk/director/913342947
http://company-director-check.co.uk/director/911166673
http://company-director-check.co.uk/director/912685208
http://company-director-check.co.uk/director/906653533
http://www.directorsintheuk.co.uk/company-director/58214/IAN+RICHARDSON
http://www.companiesintheuk.co.uk/Purchase
http://companycheck.co.uk/company/06868607
http://uk.linkedin.com/pub/martin-griffiths/1b/468/22
http://uk.linkedin.com/pub/chris-wadley/43/1a8/a51

you requested that we monitor the company PHOENIX HOLIDAYS LIMITED for changes.
The following changes have been detected:
18 Jan 2012
New Company Document Available
Form: TM01 - Ending appointment as Director
APPOINTMENT TERMINATED, DIRECTOR DARREN PARRIS
18 Jan 2012
New Company Document Available
Form: TM01 - Ending appointment as Director
APPOINTMENT TERMINATED, DIRECTOR ANU DESAI

feel for all the staff ''duped'' by these practised smooth operators.....
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Hells Bells wrote:
Skola, you can't be evicted from an apartment in France during the winter, but not sure if that would apply to a season let.

Thanks Ive heard as much. We have an apartment down the road so if I cant find work I'll continue to bum it as I have a season pass snowHead

My worry is for the people who live in the basement of the hotel - if it closes - can they kick them out? will they have to find them alternative accomodation? theres maybe 5 of them down there. also could they cut off the eletricity? ive heard not
snow report
Skola, you need legal advice on all that. The no evictions in the winter rule applies to people letting residential property, but I suspect accommodation tied to a job is a different matter. Ask at the Mairie - I believe the Pôle Emploi runs a seasonnaire support service thingy in ADH several times a week.
snow report
Lizzard, I see. Its a complicated mess. Every day I hear something different about where we stand with the law, and since yesterday we are officially redundant. The insolvency company sent us a fax saying contact them when we return to the UK to see about claiming money from the redundancy fund, but Im more worried about the here and now for me and my friends.

Thanks for your help everyone.
snow report
Skola, get in touch with the insolvency people asap - friend of mine lost her job when Descent went under a couple of years ago and she did actually get some cash. Not a lot, but better than nothing.
snow report
Lizzard, cool, do you have any idea how long it took? We got a fax from them saying to get in touch when we return to the uk for a claim form but maybe they are under the impression we are on our way back now. Will give them a call tomorrow, thanks.
snow conditions
Skola, it wasn't what you'd call immediate, but I don't think it took months or anything. Definitely get on to them straight away though. You don't have to be in the UK to make the claim - my mate did it from France, and is still here.
snow report
Meanwhile...

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Tue 3-07-12 11:58; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
LOL you are a legend whoever you are.

To be honest Im not sure how reliable the thing about Ford. Its what Ive been told but this place is a real rumour mill.
snow conditions
Skola wrote:
LOL you are a legend whoever you are.

To be honest Im not sure how reliable the thing about Ford. Its what Ive been told but this place is a real rumour mill.

Whoah! The Ford mentioned above is nothing to do with me!
ski holidays
I remember of Richard Ford. Way back in 2005-6 Travelscope was one of our clients, something to do with European river cruises, school ski holidays and singles holidays. He tried to set up an ocean cruises concern too, but other than creative concepts that didn't go any further. I think we had trouble getting any money out of him. I wonder why people like this are allowed to keep on setting up businesses. Very fishy (no pun intended). I feel sorry for everyone who has lost out as a result.
latest report
Assuming you are employed through the UK I imagine you should get, from the National Insurance Fund:

unpaid wages up to £400 per week for up to iirc 8 weeks.
Redundancy payments - presuming you haven't worked there for a year you probably have no entitlement to redundancy payments
Payments in lieu of notice - salary you would have been paid up to £400 per week for your notice period.
latest report
James the Last, that sounds about right.
snow report
Oh yes, and they should pay you within a couple of months.
snow report
Quite shocked to come across all this but we were very lucky as we went to Tignes with them in December. Company was terribly organised and I now know why we haven't heard anything from the complaints we submitted. Feel gutted for the chalet staff (not the resort manager who was useless) and those that had booked. I'll be a bit more conciensious before booking next time Embarassed

Last edited by So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much on Fri 20-01-12 23:49; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Yeah and I'll try and get a job with Crystal/TUI next season Toofy Grin lol
ski holidays
Skola wrote:
Lizzard, I see. Its a complicated mess. Every day I hear something different about where we stand with the law, and since yesterday we are officially redundant. The insolvency company sent us a fax saying contact them when we return to the UK to see about claiming money from the redundancy fund, but Im more worried about the here and now for me and my friends.

Thanks for your help everyone.

skola, I'm intrigued. I am owed thousands by TMTS. If the insolvency company you refer to is the administrators called Booths, they have told me that that they understand Phoenix Holidays Ltd has nothing to do with the hotel! they have said that all dealings with the ski side of the business are Meerbech/TMTS and as the latter two companies are still in business then I have no claim yet! It is interesting also to note that Phoenix holidays is another name used but is legally not the same as Phoenix Holidays Ltd. I paid TMTS a substantial sum of money (over £8,000.00) for a holday with lift passes etc and they were still taking money from my group around 10 days ago. having said this all monies were paid into an account called Phoenix Holidays Trustees. TMTS are saying it is tough luck my money has gone as I didn't book flights and therefore is not covered under ATOL. This is dispite the fact they informed me that monies were paid into a trust account and indeed they were as my bank statements prove. TMTS refuse to speak and now the administrators are very tight lipped also. it seems TMTS/meerbeech/phoenix Holidays/phoenix Holidays Ltd all operated with the same staff, phone lines, address, website, and most impostantly bank account. How can differening limited companies all have they same bank account if they have a limited liability? It smells pretty off to be honest. I could really do with a heads up so anyone with any info please do pm me.
ski holidays
According the the CAA website http://www.caa.co.uk/application.aspx?catid=490&pagetype=65&appid=2&mode=detailnosummary&atolNbr=10136 Merebeech is still trading but the lady I spoke to at Take me to on Friday said that they were stopping with immediate effect all holidays and staff are returing home. Don't faff around go to court and issue a claim to get your money back. If the money is no in a trust account then the directors have broken the law and you could go to the police. I have issued a claim against them for my holiday to Alpe d'Hiuez but I'm not holding my breath. You can get the directors home addresses from companies house - costs £1 - go to companieshouse.gov.uk then web check, type in Merebeech. The chap I spoke to at the CAA was very helpful. He mentioned the trust account and police quote the EC directive for PAckage Holidays whch states all client monies have to have some form of protection whether a trust account , ABTA or ATOL if there is an inclusive flight booked. Also the directors can be prosecuted if it can be shown that the company has been insolvent for a while and yet they continued to trade. What they (the directors) haven't realised is that they are dealing with a completely different clientelle - and like a dog with a bone.... good luck I hope you get your £8,000 back
snow report
Cool

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Tue 3-07-12 11:59; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
I got caught up on the outskirts of this just before I boogered off to Verbier last week. Our group of 19 was booked in to the Les Grandes Rousses for half term week.

A bit of frantic work found alternative accomodation and hopefully insurance and/or credit card payments will cover the payments made.

Alpenhorn, Scarborough eh?? possibly a third method of recovering funds then wink
snow report
Cool

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Tue 3-07-12 11:59; edited 1 time in total
snow report
It now seems like Merebeech have either had their ATOL withdrawn or have withdrawn it. but no resignations yet at companies house. Alpenhorn do you know what is going on? Our claim has been accepted by court and Merebeech have till tomorrow to put a defence in. Press now that is a good idea!
ski holidays
how about a go at a classic complaints/cook programme?! 'rip off britain' or 'fake britain'.....................

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00wck32
ski holidays
Word is they are trying to start a new company so they can reopen the chalets in Tignes.
ski holidays
Just a note for anyone booked with TakeMeToSki/Merebeech Ltd. They went into administration yesterday (23rd January). Any flight-inclusive booking should be covered by ATOL - see http://www.caa.co.uk/default.aspx?catid=27
latest report
so apparently

we are supposed to move out of the apartments tomorrow morning. sent to temporary accom then transport home provided courtesy of the marie.

any idea if legally we have to move? also looking for an apartment in adh/bourg anyone recommend a good website? can only find weekly rent
snow conditions
Skola, you seriously need legal advice.

If you're looking for non-holiday lets, try the small ads in Casino in Bourg d'Oisans - there were half a dozen on there last time I looked, both in resort and in the valley. Also try the small ads boards in Intermarche in resort and inside the Bergers centre, and the Mairie usually has a list of season lets.

PM me if you need any help making phone calls/checking ads/whatever - I'm in Bourg d'Oisans. Can't offer you space (unless you fancy the cellar along with the spiders), but I'm happy to help out with other stuff if I can.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy