Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Time to buy skis - but which..? Advice sought

Poster: A snowHead
The sales are on, we are going skiing in three weeks (for half term) and there might be time for a spring trip as well. That makes it time to buy my first pair of skis.

My skiing level is indeterminate, my weight is too much but I am 75-80kg (am at the top end - aiming for the bottom), my height is 5 7. Some days I have loads of technique and control. Others I am sliding around with the entire family and need an easier life).

Most of my skiing is on piste but given the pistes are not always well groomed a pure carver is not for me. We now venture further off the edge and take some of the more interesting and open shortcuts but won't be doing anything too adventurous yet.

Skis that I have rented and got on with have been Head SuperShape Magnums (170cm) which were stiff and sharp and great for carving or Dynastar Legend (something or others 80's I think) which were easier to live with but had more capacity to go elsewhere. I don't have the skill to ski in deeper snow with the piste skis.

I am tempted by some Atomic Blackeye Ti skis (at 167cm) but am concerned by a comment on this site somewhere that you need to ski well all the time to get on with them.

All suggestions appreciated. BTW The hire shop were we are going doesn't have a huge range so on slope trial and error isn't going to be any better.

Edited to add the height & weightI should have put in the first time. Embarassed

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Wed 18-01-12 22:04; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
What height and weight are you actually?

This may impact not only on length, but also model of ski as some flex more than others across the range.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
The Dynastars you mentioned are probably these: http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=83610
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Opps. Typed that in at work and didn't finish it off. Anyway the weight confession...Errr. 82kg right now. Supposed to be 75. Sad Height is 5 foot 7.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
AndrewBailey, You could have a look at the "non" Ti version of the Atomics. A bit softer and easier to get on with. I'm a similar weight to you ( but taller) and ski them in a 174. Madeye-Smiley
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I bought the non-ti blackeyes in 160cm last year and had great fun with them on and off piste.

I'm 65Kg and 5'8''

The non-ti are softer like GeorgeVII stated, so they absorb the bumps a little better, but they can get a little flappy when bombing it down the hill in a straight line

I'm not a great skier all the time but didnt have any problems with them. I opted for the 160's instead of the 167's just for a little more control
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
AndrewBailey, Dynastar Outland 83 - wide enough underfoot; a little rocker; carve well and good in bumps.

Yours for £249 in Decathlon at the moment. You can buy them, ski them and sell them again for a profit on eBay at that price...
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
My Blackeye TIs are 167, but I'm 5'"9 and a half Toofy Grin and more like 75 kilos so I guesss that ties in with junitrules, in that mine are one size longer to adjust for the slight weight/height increase.

I know its not usually the first consideration but I think they are really good looking skis, and the build quality is great.

and no, I don't work for Atomic (sadly, I work in IT instead Sad )

Andy
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
A small caveat to the above is obviously I have the TI, and junitules has the non-version, which complicates things a little.

More stiffness could mean more edge grip, or conversely less edge grip if you are not heavy enough or aggressive enough to put enough power through ther ski during a turn. For this reason I don't think it is worth going longer than your weight allows, unless you are a really advanced skier who can power through such a stiff ski.

If not, the non-TI version may well be better for you.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:

Yours for £249 in Decathlon at the moment

But only in 178cm in my 'local' store according to the website. Might be worth a quick call though.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
There was a debate on another thread recently regarding using ski's "above your ability" improving your skiing or being better for your skiing. Theory being along the lines, it's a bit tougher to start with but you don't have to make the transision later versus getting used to the "easier" ski's and then having to step up later. Anyway you get the drift.

On a personal level softer ski's work better for me. Probably because I relatively light and lazy. The ideal scenario is to test a few ski's before buying. Or buy something for a decent price and then sell on if they don't work for you, treating the difference as paying an hire charge.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Layne, I can ski the firmer skis well enough. It is just that there are times when I don't want to ski like that and need to cruise with the entire family. With my eldest son cruising isn't an option but en famille we do tend to take a lazier approach. I am wondering whether I would get frustrated.

Quote:
treating the difference as paying an hire charge

A monumentally sensible suggestion. Smile I am now tempted to buy more skis Sad
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
AndrewBailey, I am currently skiing mostly with the kids (currently 6 & 4). We ski the whole mountain. Occasionaly I may get a run or two for myself off piste. And a "boys" trip may occur occasionally. I can't justify having more than one set, so I just have to go for a reasonable versatile all mountain ski - in my case Rossignol B2's bought off ebay. Sounds like you need to do something similar. I find the number of ski's on the market quite bewildering. And I am sure there are 10-20, probably more that could do the job for any one individual. If I was in your shoes I'd probably base my decision on reviews and price, and take a punt. The Sultans are probably a safe bet. I'd probably go for 85's not 80. Nice bundle here http://www.snowtraxstore.co.uk/dynastar-legend-sultan-85-2011-salomon-sth12-binding. At least you've skied them (or something like them) so know they will not be totally wrong for you.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Sorry just saw on the link they were all sold out. Anyway it's a guide to sort of the price you might get some for.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Interesting comments. I have used the Sultan 80's before and really got on with them. I'm 5'10 and 84 KG so took the plunge last year and bought some 174 Nomad Blackeye Tis in the sales based on all the positive reviews and comparisons to the Sultans / Wateas etc. I bought for the same reasons as above, looking for a jack of all trades / master of none type ski that could do piste as well as some light off piste stuff (though I was less bothered about how they looked Smile ).

I didn't enjoy them as much as the Dynastars, and struggled with an edge when it was Icy. They felt "wooden" in comparison which I'd been putting down to my (apparent) inability to get the ski to flex properly. Having said that, Jon's been waxing and tuning them and he's mentioned that the bindings are too far back. They're as they came from Tallington so hopefully that might improve things and make them a bit more lively. I jumped on to a set of Tiger sharks (longer and stiffer) and had a blast on those so I'm hoping it's the bindings and not me Smile . I'll know in a week!
ski holidays
I did it!! Ordered some Atomic Blackeye Ti skis in 167 this afternoon. We are driving down on Fri 10th so there should be plenty of time to admire them before strapping them to the car.

Thanks for the advice everyone.
latest report
Come on, how much rolling eyes
ski holidays
Let me know how you get on with them mate. I'm very tempted to buy them myself.
snow conditions
Layne, £375 delivered through Nevis sport online. Couldn't find it cheaper and in stock elsewhere. Looked at Ski Conrad (or whatever it is called) which was cheaper but 2-4 weeks delivery so nearly went up to the Crimson Ti but fortunately they were out of stock as well Sad

RichTraff, Keep watching the site in a couple of weeks. There might be a pair for sale if I struggle with them.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy