Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Bars

Poster: A snowHead
Chap to me: how many "apres" bars are there in your village?

Me to chap: three.

Him: oh that's nothing like enough, I need like eight or ten.

Me: can you drink in more than one place at a time then?

... is it me? Am I getting old? Why do some people need so much choice? Beer is beer isn't it (well in Europe it is anyway) and walking from one bar to another wastes time, gets you cold and/or wet, and what if you can't find a table?

I appreciate variety in restaurants is good, but in a bar it's the company that matters to me: if it's warm, and sells beer, job done.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
sanman, maybe he figures it would take his wife longer to find him if she has to check 10 bars rather than 3 Madeye-Smiley
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Quote:

what if you can't find a table?

Laughing if (like me) you need to sit down in a bar then you're definitely getting old.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
pam w, sadly I think you've hit the nail on the head there Very Happy no way I'm standing up after ski-ing all day and especially not in ski boots!
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Interesting question, for some reason I would have thought less is better. Who wants to visit 10 bars with 5 people in each?
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Visits to two different bars per night for the first four/five nights, go back to the best two on your last night. Very Happy
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Yeah, good point. I hate choice.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

I hate choice

It's over-rated! Very Happy
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
There is only one bar in our village, "Chez Fred". The eponymous Fred died, it seems, about 10 years ago, and the bar is now run by his widow. It's not much of a bar, truth be told. I've never seen more than four people in it. One of those was me. Another was my wife! The third was Mrs Fred! That was a busy night.

There isn't much of a choice of tipple either... seems they (she) has beer for the ladies and Pernod for the gents....and nothing else

Last time I went, I apparently stood in some other chaps spot at the bar..... the "bar" is actually a table in Mrs Fred's living room. The "other chap" had allegedly stood at his spot for the last 20 years. Mrs Fred explained that some of the locals are set in their ways.

I wonder if Chez Fred qualifies as an "Apres" bar
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
sanman wrote:
and what if you can't find a table?

Then you move onto another bar. Or not, because there's only two bars in the resort you chose, and their both packed, and they both play really loud music and you just want a quiet pint, or you might want a nice bottle of wine but you can't get one because both bars cater for skint seasonnairs. Oh if only there was more choice of bar to visit, because not all people are the same and want or enjoy the same thing.

But you're right, two bars will be fine....

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Wed 18-01-12 14:45; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Patch, What time is happy hour?
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Dr John wrote:
sanman wrote:
and what if you can't find a table?

Then you move onto another bar. Or not, because there's only two bars in the resort you chose, and their both packed, and they both play really loud music and you just want a quiet pint, or you might want a nice bottle of wine but you can't get one because both bars cater for skint seasonnairs. Oh if only there was more choice of bar to visit, because not all people are the same and want or enjoy the same thing.

But you're right, two bars will be fine....

So the moral of that story is...

... if you are a bit fussy then a big place with lots of different types of bar is good...

... but if you like your beer wet and the main requirement of a apres bar is that they serve cold beer and hot wine then 2 bars is plenty, 1 would probably do.

Wow! Shocked
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Dr John, did you get out of the wrong side of the bed today?
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
sanman, I got out of bed, that's the problem. Which side is immaterial.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Dr John, Laughing Laughing
snow conditions
I think another point is that some people don't just go to ski on a ski holiday but like a wide variety of bars where they can drink... and more importantly try and pull someone of the opposite sex.

I am married so I just like to drink heavily in a variety of bars, lie in the gutter for a bit and then try to drag myself up for brekkie and outski my hangover.

PS My wife doesnt ski so its a perennial boys trip!
snow conditions
Personally, I believe it´s always a good option to have as many bars as possible in resort, you never know how many you will end up being barred from....boom boom Madeye-Smiley
snow conditions
Patch, Where's Freds? Sounds like my local, I'd probably feel at home there.
snow report
robapplegate wrote:
Patch, Where's Freds? Sounds like my local, I'd probably feel at home there.

Villarlurin, a village of 400 souls in deepest, darkest Savoie
ski holidays
Ive only ever visited restaurants apres ski due to the kids Laughing
snow report
^ so a balcony where i can chill my wine does me fine Smile
snow report
sanman wrote:
Beer is beer isn't it (well in Europe it is anyway)
? Erm....? Rewind my selector, come again?

The rest I wholeheartedly agree with.
snow report
I find the fizzy pop that passes for beer pretty undrinkable after a few pints. Guiness goes down easier but I can't help thinking that there's got to be a market for a real ale pub in some of the more popular ski resorts. Local Rainford brewery exports to Southern Spain so why not to the Alps?
ski holidays
Snow Hound, Well i'm sure some French/Swiss beers are better than others, but as an ale/bitter drinker at home, they're all much of a muchness to me, I don't have the palate to discern the differences. And halfhand, nice idea but would it travel? In just the same way that local spirits you buy on holiday taste like paraffin at home, I wonder what real ale would be like in the Alps?
snow report
mr black wrote:
I think another point is that some people don't just go to ski on a ski holiday but like a wide variety of bars where they can drink... and more importantly try and pull someone of the opposite sex.

I am married so I just like to drink heavily in a variety of bars, lie in the gutter for a bit and then try to drag myself up for brekkie and outski my hangover.

PS My wife doesnt ski so its a perennial boys trip!

Class reply Cool

However the more of the fizzy pop you drink, the more everything of the opposite sex looks young and attractive, however being in my late 40's and married, the only thing i can pull is my hamstring, wink
ski holidays
Timbobaggins,
Quote:

However the more of the fizzy pop you drink, the more everything of the opposite sex looks young and attractive,

indeed, no wonder I am verging on alcoholism
snow conditions
kooky wrote:
Timbobaggins,
Quote:

However the more of the fizzy pop you drink, the more everything of the opposite sex looks young and attractive,

indeed, no wonder I am a virgin on alcoholism

FIFY.... Twisted Evil
snow conditions
Chasseur, oh that ship has long since sailed my friend Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy