Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Stopping

cran
cran
I've noticed that a lot of people seem to just stand around on the slope not doing anything...

Also every bump/crest seems to have people stood on top of it. Are they scared to ski down or something?

Why do people stop?

Surely the point of a piste is to ski down it, not keep stopping every 50 meters?

Puzzled
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
cran, Well done if you can bash down every piste without stopping! Its a logical place to stop where you can see and be seen, and its a safe place.............usually people are waiting for friends I suggest, I do however get fed up when they're right accross the slope and blocking the place up.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Instructors will often use it as a meeting place too. i.e 'I want you to show me xyz and stop at the next crest/ridge'
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Markymark29 wrote:
cran, Well done if you can bash down every piste without stopping! Its a logical place to stop where you can see and be seen, and its a safe place.............usually people are waiting for friends I suggest, I do however get fed up when they're right accross the slope and blocking the place up.

+1. Very irritating if they are in the way though.

I usually have to stop and wait for my kids wink
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:

Why do people stop?

Off the top of my head, maybe because they're:

1. tired and want a rest
2. waiting for friends
3. admiring the scenery
4. having a drink / bite to eat from their rucksack
5. assessing the difficulty of the next section and picking their line down it
6. navigating
7. practicing technique, reviewing the exercise they just did and psyching up for the next one.
8. waiting for an annoying group of people to pass them

any more? Happy

If I had to ski every piste without stopping I'd probably collapse after about an hour!
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Having been out with a boarder for a couple of days before Christmas I never realised how much faffing they have to do do having got off a charlift before thay can set off for the next kneel down and pray in the middle of the piste.

( No, I'm not talking about you Mouth )

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Wed 18-01-12 11:26; edited 2 times in total
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

Why do people stop?

Maybe to enjoy the beautiful view? To get their breath back? To think about what's been happening with their skiing and how to put it right ("I kept coming out of those turns way back on my heels...." )? to regroup with their friends? blow their noses? answer their phones? find some chewing gum in the bottom of a pocket? Do a blood sugar test? Do their boots up a bit tighter?

As long as they are neatly stationed at the side of the piste, why would it bother you? Puzzled
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I'm usually waiting for the really slow skier who has been behind me for half a mile to get on past so I can go for a pee in peace.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Posted simultaneously with ap96 who thought of a few more!

Apart from anything else, if you bash down every piste without stopping you spend a far higher proportion of your time on lifts than if you just take life a little easier.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
It happens at the indoor slopes too, always lots of people standing around at the top. At first I waited to see if some sort of order or queue system was happening, and soon realised even when the slope was empty people were still just standing and looking! No idea what's going on there.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

when the slope was empty people were still just standing and looking!

Yeah, I don't understand that at indoor slopes actually. The slope is so rarely empty at Chill Factore you've got to grab your opportunity right away!

Also, fully agree about stopping sensibly. Unless there's been an accident, there's absolutely no excuse for blocking the middle of the piste or stopping just round a blind corner or just over the crest of a hill.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
what really annoys me is when people don't clear the area at the top of lifts - especially difficult for wobbly snowboarders.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Lots of people have no idea about decent stopping protocol however resulting in the usual slalom course down any moderately busy piste. What's even more amusing is pulling up in the obvious stopping place where perhaps one person is waiting then having a whole crowd swarm in and then they eye you suspiciously as to why you're trying to gatecrash their group.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Also, navigating your way around stationary objects is a lot easier than navigating your way around moving objects.

It's the people that don't stand still who you should be cross with. Selfish b*stards.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
My fave is either when you get two people who stop facing each other so it looks like a gap
put then in between you have the skis

Or when you get big groups who stop all the way across the crest so you have to pick you way through

To be fair to ski instructors - they do always seem to get them off to one side most of the time

I alway try to leave plenty of room by stopping on one side if i have to ( usually with the little one in tow you have to wait a bit )

also as i am not the worlds best skier - i take great pride in going straight over the crest if i can so passing all the sightseeing groups
who will then think "Wow wish i could do that !!)
snow conditions
 Poster: A snowHead
fatbob wrote:
What's even more amusing is pulling up in the obvious stopping place where perhaps one person is waiting then having a whole crowd swarm in and then they eye you suspiciously as to why you're trying to gatecrash their group.

Obviously that one person must have been waiting for their mates!

Have seen that as well - perhaps skiers have some sort of "flocking" instinct Puzzled
ski holidays
On outdoor slopes I stop because my legs ache, and I like to take photographs. Usually one stop is enough for both reasons. I do however get annoyed when people come to a stop in what I would call "inconsiderate" places!

Indoor slopes though; no idea why people wait around at the top especially as you're paying for the privilege...

pam w wrote:
what really annoys me is when people don't clear the area at the top of lifts - especially difficult for wobbly snowboarders.

Last week I saw this happen regularly, even with an instructor who had gathered a group of children directly at the bottom of a chair off-ramp!
Thankfully where I was they have equipped the lift operators with very loud buzzers that they like to lean on to tell people to get the **** out of the way, which at least limits the problem.
snow report
Quote:

Thankfully where I was they have equipped the lift operators with very loud buzzers that they like to lean on to tell people to get the **** out of the way

Sounds a good idea. Laughing
snow conditions
I don't care if people stop ... or why they do it. I just wish they would think a little bit about others and not block the ****** piste !
ski holidays
I find there is a kind of herd mentality, people tend to stop where others have stopped, e.g. on Abricotine from Crosets to Avoriaz, it is a very long piste with various steepish bits followed by flat, then repeat etc, people tend to stop after each one before starting the next drop etc. and it is hard to stop yourself (or others in your group) doing the same.

Also I am usually in a mixed ability group and if you are at the front you soon learn not to get too far ahead - its a long walk back up to help someone who's fallen 300 metres back. (these days it's normally my sons who are at the front Sad )

I find if i ski the lot in one go, (i) my thighs are on fire (actually not sure if i could even do it any more) and (ii) i'm at the bottom far too soon!
snow report
Quote:

Also every bump/crest seems to have people stood on top of it. Are they scared to ski down or something?

I think they are waiting for the boarders sat just over the crest out of sight to move so that they can ski on.
latest report
Quote:

I think they are waiting for the boarders sat just over the crest out of sight to move so that they can ski on.

As boarder, there is some truth in this....we don't want to stop on the flat or just before the crest as it will mean un-clipping and scooting to top of the crest or off the flat...so we usually stop on a downhill section, usually to the side and hopefully not in a blind spot....although, like skiers, there are some boarders who decide to stop in the middle of the piste.

It is equaully annoying when a group of skiers decide to stop in a line across the piste on a flat section meaning that you end up scrubbing all your speed trying to pick your way through them. (even more annoying when learning)
latest report
johnE wrote:
Quote:

Bet they're sat there calling each other dude and smoking dope too, whilst trying to pull their baggy pants up, listening to drum n bass on their dangerous headphones. Wonder if they should wear helmets with all this irresponsible behaviour?
ski holidays
joydivision wrote:
Quote:

As boarder, there is some truth in this....we don't want to stop on the flat or just before the crest as it will mean un-clipping and scooting to top of the crest or off the flat...so we usually stop on a downhill section, usually to the side and hopefully not in a blind spot....although, like skiers, there are some boarders who decide to stop in the middle of the piste.

It is equaully annoying when a group of skiers decide to stop in a line across the piste on a flat section meaning that you end up scrubbing all your speed trying to pick your way through them. (even more annoying when learning)

Doesn't make a difference really as I stopped to the side on a crest on Christmas day (I do that kind of walking like an army soldier out of Toy Story thing to get myself started anyway), was in full view and moving to the side to have a skiier plough in to me and run her rental skis over my brand new £500 board and knock me for six. When I complained her father said it was better her hitting me than my kids (which I do kinda agree with), but surely safer still would be not to ski like a freaking idiot.
snow report
TotallyBoard wrote:
Bet they're ...... trying to pull their baggy pants up

No way, Dude - it'll never happen wink
snow conditions
gazza2 wrote:
also as i am not the worlds best skier - i take great pride in going straight over the crest if i can so passing all the sightseeing groups
who will then think "Wow wish i could do that !!)

I hope you do it in such a way that you do not risk the life of the boarder who is hiding below the ridge.
ski holidays
TotallyBoard, I hope you didn't actually say "freaking" unless you're the pc dubbed TV version of a movie!
snow report
Quote:

fatbob wrote:
What's even more amusing is pulling up in the obvious stopping place where perhaps one person is waiting then having a whole crowd swarm in and then they eye you suspiciously as to why you're trying to gatecrash their group.

Yep but sometimes you meet interesting people like this, a Snowhead or two and even an old mate from Devon once.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
As a Newbie I am one of those that need to stop for most of the reasons detailed above. However, I keep out of the way and stick to easier runs. I guess if you want a clear run go off piste and keep your fingers crossed.
snow report
fatbob wrote:
TotallyBoard, I hope you didn't actually say "freaking" unless you're the pc dubbed TV version of a movie!

Due to the inability to swear on snowheads I find myself unable to post how I really feel. Some would say that this is a sign of a limited vocabulary, I see it as a sign of how peeved I was with a huge scratch across my brand new board on it's first use, compounded by being told at least it was your board she could have taken out one of your kids grrrrrrrrrrr.
snow report
Punch him in the face and say "on the bright side, that could have been your balls".
latest report
paulio wrote:
Punch him in the face and say "on the bright side, that could have been your balls".

Made me chuckle, ta Very Happy
snow conditions
Quote:

This is such a cliche. Boarders are far better disciplined nowadays about where to stop and if you find a group of people milling about aimlessly in the middle of a piste, they will more frequently be skiers rather than boarders. Boarders like to chill once in a while too, but they have to sit down and usually they/we manage to do it at the side of the piste rather than in the middle.

The one time i will stop on a snowboard in the middle/before a drop off is if someone has fallen on the steep bit to act as a blocker for them.
latest report
cran, My mum stands "waiting for the mountain to be empty" ! You can imagine how much time she spends waiting!!
ski holidays
Quote:

Boarders are far better disciplined nowadays

Not wishing to court controversy - some of my best friends are boarders - but I think the problem is, and always has been, that there are different types of snowboarders, there are those who actually do it, and there are those who like to hang around in the baggy pants, looking cool in a big group, but who never actually progress beyond the basic stages. These are usually teenagers of course and I guess it is the downside of the whole 'snowboarding is cool' culture, cool it undoubtedly is, but it takes time and effort to learn to do it right.

For some reason ski-ing doesn't have the same problem, possibly because it is a lot harder to sit down with skis on!

As one of my friends says of his daughter, she's more interested in the idea of being a snowboarder than she is in actually snowboarding. Very Happy
snow conditions
Does stopping on a snowboarder count, note the ski position rolling eyes Laughing Laughing not getting at snowboarders in anyway Toofy Grin
snow report
Quote:

Not wishing to court controversy - some of my best friends are boarders - but I think the problem is, and always has been, that there are different types of snowboarders, there are those who actually do it, and there are those who like to hang around in the baggy pants, looking cool in a big group, but who never actually progress beyond the basic stages. These are usually teenagers of course and I guess it is the downside of the whole 'snowboarding is cool' culture, cool it undoubtedly is, but it takes time and effort to learn to do it right.

I can't believe this attitude actually exists, apart from maybe for a few kids who get taken on holiday with their parents. It would be an expensive hobby to go around play acting at being a snowboarder!

Quote:

For some reason ski-ing doesn't have the same problem, possibly because it is a lot harder to sit down with skis on!

indeed....and it's actually quite hard to stand up whilst stationary on a snowboard....well it's not hard actually, but I certainly wouldn't class it as taking a break.
latest report
sanman wrote:

For some reason ski-ing doesn't have the same problem,

Skiing has exactly the same "problem" in that there are rather more people who profess themselves skiers than are actually interested in skiing as a pursuit and therefore in constructively improving or even challenging themselves. It's usually the same group of people who aren't by any means great skiers that spend their time denigrating or moaning about "bloody snowboarders"( good natured pisstaking aside).
snow report
joydivision, I agree, it's more local kids than Brits. In some places it seems to be the equivalent of hanging around the shopping centre. And fatbob, maybe, but in the case of the skiers to whom you refer, the problem doesn't manifest itself in sitting in the middle of a piste, more often it is getting ludicrously drunk and boring everyone in the bar with your escapades at full volume Very Happy
snow report
I think that there are idiots that ski and there are idiots that board. It isn't the skiing or the boarding that makes them idiots, it's the fact that they are idiots. Not all skiers stop in a line across the piste and not all snowboarders sit in the middle of the slope.

In my last 2 trips more skiers stood in the middle of the piste than boarders sitting there (but then there were more skiers than boarders on the mountain) and the 2 crashes (one where I got hit and one where my 6yo daughter got hit) were caused by out of control skiers going faster than their ability would warrant. Thankfully neither crash had any lasting damage (apart from my new board Sad ) and I wouldn't say that skiers were more dangerous (just the dangerous ones are and that goes for boarders too).
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy