Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Current Transfer Conditions from Munich/Driving to Resort Qns

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi,

Am driving from Munich to Soll on Sunday late morning. I havent done a lot of driving in snow and to/from resorts so am a little in the dark what it would be like. Please help my confidence!

1. What is the drive like from M to S like ie from memory its not a windy alpine type road.....or is it?

2. What are conditions like now and how have they been ie what will I likely encounter?

3. The hire car will have winter tyres on it and I believe chains will be in the car too. Do you need both? I understand that winter tyres will just about do the trick

Any other tips?

Thanks
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
1. There is no windy mountain road to Soell - between Munich and Soell is motorway and then a main road.
2. At the moment the roads are clear.
3. Definitely have winter tyres. Chains? I'd have them, just in case.

The weather forecast is for a change over the next few days. More snow is coming Very Happy so the roads may or may not be clear at the weekend.

I suspect someone else will be along shortly to give you some route planning advice.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
SaraJ, thanks. I know snow is coming which is great once in resort, its just the getting there bit that worries me!!

From your experience will winter tyres be enough on their own?
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quote:

Chains? I'd have them, just in case.

Toofy Grin

If you don't have the chains, you're sure to get stuck in the hotel car park and need to be towed out by the smug Hausmeister on his snow clearing tractor.
If you have the chains, the roads will stay clear and the chains will stay pristine in their box.

I wouldn't worry too much about the drive... If it's snowing, just take it steady. You'll be driving on major roads.

As for "will winter tyres be enough on their own" I'm not going to answer with a definite yes or no. Sometimes they're enough, sometimes they're not.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I wouldn't expect you to need chains if you have winter tyres, though there is one section of the B173 road between Kufstein and Söll which is quite steep and could be tricky in heavy snow. As SaraJ says, take it steady, give other cars plenty of space and, if you really fear trouble, stop for an hour or two somewhere until the road is properly cleared (there is an autobahn rest station just before the border at Kufstein).
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Also, don't be scared of the chains. You probably won't need them, but if you do, get them on as sooner rather than later. Make sure you can do them in the dark if necessary - head torch etc. If it looks as though there'll be a lot of snow about, practice in the car park before you leave.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Peter Leuzzi, Can't remember how many times I've driven from Munich Airport (including the old Munich Reims Airport) to Kitzbuhel / Soll / Zillertal etc but it's a lot. Only ever really really needed chains a few times and in all cases on cars with summer tyres and trying to get to hotels up steep hills. On local roads have certainly been in situations where I maybe should have stopped to put chains on but have just kept going like everyone else.

If renting from Munich don't assume that they all come with winter tyres. Unless you specifically ordered them, they may not.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy