Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

2012 Dynastar Legend 85 - or similar...

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Good evening all,

Has anyone had any experience of this season's Dynastar Legend 85? Last year I ski'd on the Legend Sultan 85 and it was amazing, the best ski I've ever used however my research has shown that they've significantly altered the design for this seasons model and it has had pretty poor reviews.

If not, can anyone recommend a good equivalent to last years' Sultan 85?

Bit of background: I'm not very tall (5'10") but very heavy (112Kg). I'm actually fairly fit and have very strong legs and calves (basically I'm a front-row forward) Anyway, I'm a fairly confident intermediate and ski hard and fairly fast (when space/conditions allow!) on the piste and am progressing my off-piste skiing to an intermediate level. I loved the Sultan 85 (178cm) last year as it's a nice heavy, stiff ski and was rock-solid at speed with great grip and control and gave me everything I wanted when doing shorter turns or going off the side. The rental shop gave me some Atomic Crimson Ti's first up, and after 1 day (up the GM in Cham) on them I felt like I'd regressed 4 years so I returned them and they stuck me on the Sultans and instantly I felt like I was Bode Milller and Aurelien Ducroz all in one (well, ok, I was still a fat man cruising down reds and falling over off the side but you know what I mean!)

Anyway, I want to replicate last year's nirvana with this year's model but am all worried that I'll be rubbish again if I don't get the same (or similar) ski!

Thoughts/comments?

(And before you ask/tell: I haven't bought my own skis because I tend to destroy them - a combination of my weight and fairly aggressive style does not encourage longevity in my equipment - last season in 2 trips I went through 5 pairs of skis, the year before: 4 pairs (never quite damaged enough for an insurance claim, but not far off!) so I always rent premium models instead - I think it's cheaper for me and I usually get to ski the latest models every year!)
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
jma wrote:
I haven't bought my own skis because I tend to destroy them - a combination of my weight and fairly aggressive style does not encourage longevity in my equipment - last season in 2 trips I went through 5 pairs of skis, the year before: 4 pairs

Puzzled that must be record, any other snowheads claim to beat that Puzzled

Sounds like you abusing them imoa

PS I will agree with you on the type of ski, I also got on well with the last few seasons legends and sultans on hire , I cant comment on the new ones as Ive got a new set of my own - Head Peak 82's .
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Just spent today in deep powder skiing through the trees in la plagne on this years legend 85’s and I thought they were great. In Dec I skiied last year's legend sultan (but the 80) and preferred the new 85’s. I'd give them a go if I were you.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Does anybody know what the difference is between the latest Legend 85 and the old Legend Sultan 85 ? I'm having a bit of trouble finding out. All I have gleaned so far is that the later model might be a bit easier to ski, but without any real reason why.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
The side cut of the ski is the same on both the old and the new, the diffrence is that they put rocker in the new one to keep the nose floating above the soft stuff, I thought it was a good improvement, even on piste as the skis turned in a little easier than they used too!

We have a few legends still in stock too Wink

Dan
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
dansmith,

Thanks. Have you got any double ski bags with wheels in stock? They need to accomodate Mrs. M's uphill skis which are about 190, prefereable room for a pair of big boots as well. I can get to you fairly easily to offer them up if it would be tight.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Why not just buy last season's Sultan 85? I've got the same ski, and I agree with your view on it. Why do you need a 2012 ski if you know a 2011 ski is "the best ski you've ever used"???
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
How do you manage to ruin that many pairs of skis? What kind of damage are you talking?

Can't help with the sultan questions but utterly amazed you can go through 5 pairs in 2 (1 week long?!) trips.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Monium wrote:
Why not just buy last season's Sultan 85? I've got the same ski, and I agree with your view on it. Why do you need a 2012 ski if you know a 2011 ski is "the best ski you've ever used"???
Decent discounts on both 2011 and 2012 models here.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
musher, I normally do but unfortunately I have sold out of the wheely dakine bags that can get everything and the kitchen sink in!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy