Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski Welt by train from Munich

Poster: A snowHead
Which resort is the easiest/quickest to get to by train from Munich?

My friends are planning around 10 days skiing and I will joining them for 2 weekends from Munich so somewhere I can get to after work on a Friday evening but with enough skiing to keep decent skiers happy for 10 days? Doesn't have to be a huge resort, we all prefer skiing off-piste and would be happy with a small place with some interesting skiing rather than miles of identical pistes although some other areas for my friends to visit mid week would also be nice!

Thanks
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Check OBB for details, but there is a station just down the road form Westendorf. QUick taxi or bus up form there (probably a bit far to walk with much kit). No idea about train stations for the rest. Might be worth looking into the bus times too (on the OBB site).

Westendorf also happens to have the best skiing in the SkiWelt, plenty of offpiste if you're happy to explore, so happy days.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
lynseyf, here http://www.oebb.at/en
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
lynseyf, You can get easily to Soll from Kufstein station, either by bus during the day, or by taxi if you arrive late in the evening. If going to Soll it is not worth taking the train to Worgl (the next station along the line). Bus times: http://www.wilderkaiser.info/asp_service/upload/content/Linienbus-Kufstein-Soell(1).pdf
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
lynseyf wrote:
Which resort is the easiest/quickest to get to by train from Munich?

My friends are planning around 10 days skiing and I will joining them for 2 weekends from Munich so somewhere I can get to after work on a Friday evening but with enough skiing to keep decent skiers happy for 10 days? Doesn't have to be a huge resort, we all prefer skiing off-piste and would be happy with a small place with some interesting skiing rather than miles of identical pistes although some other areas for my friends to visit mid week would also be nice!

Thanks

Hi Lynsey, there's a new-ish map out called the SkiRail Map of the Alps (which I helped to produce) and it shows you how to reach ski resorts by train (how long it takes and what the skiing's like).
You can see a sample of the map here http://rogerlascellesmaps.co.uk/SkiRail_Product_Information.aspx?area=SkiRail_Product_Information and more info here http://rogerlascellesmaps.co.uk/SkiRail_Map_Main.aspx
Looking at my copy, it seems that the nearest resorts to Munich are places like Tegernsee, Lenggries and Bayrischzell. Not enormous resorts but they all have around 800-1000m VD, and would make an interesting change from the mega-resorts across the border in Austria although they're pretty accessible too.
Neil Neige
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks for all the replies, I fancy the Ski Welt as have never been there and will probably buy a season pass for there next year so it would be nice to try it out a bit first.

Any more advice on the skiing welcome particularly good off-piste areas clarky999 Smile

will have a look at the map Neil Neige, nice idea
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
For the SkiWelt, there are stations in Hopfgarten and Brixen (as well as Westendorf, which as clarky999 says isn't actually in the village but you might still need a taxi from the station to your accommodation in the other places too). Ask about special ski trip rates. Söll wouldn't be the easiest place to reach by train, requiring a somewhat longer taxi (or bus) ride.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
lynseyf,
Quote:
it seems that the nearest resorts to Munich are places like Tegernsee, Lenggries and Bayrischzell
Of the three you listed I would recommend Lenggries, there are some quite nice runs: Dont miss out on the Garland if you do go there... it can be murder!
You could also go for Garmisch, which is bigger than the three you mentioned, and if off-piste is what you are looking for then there's a small jewel at the top of the Zugspitze in Garmisch which not many people know about. Also a few Kms down the road there is the pure freeride area in the Dammkar (Mittenwald), which even fewer people know about.

Lots to explore Toofy Grin
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Steilhang wrote:
lynseyf,
Quote:
it seems that the nearest resorts to Munich are places like Tegernsee, Lenggries and Bayrischzell
Of the three you listed I would recommend Lenggries, there are some quite nice runs: Dont miss out on the Garland if you do go there... it can be murder!
You could also go for Garmisch, which is bigger than the three you mentioned, and if off-piste is what you are looking for then there's a small jewel at the top of the Zugspitze in Garmisch which not many people know about. Also a few Kms down the road there is the pure freeride area in the Dammkar (Mittenwald), which even fewer people know about.
Lots to explore Toofy Grin

Interesting stuff. I skied in Garmisch about 5 years ago - had a really good few days. Off to Innsbruck in Feb and was thinking of checking out Mittenwald on the way home (we fly back from Munich), so will defo give it a go now!
NN
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Neil Neige check out the website for the Dammkar before going, it isn't always open, and depending on the snow conditions you quite often have to walk the last Km or so back to the gondola... But that's what makes it such a great place to ski!
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Steilhang, Dammkar looks interesting, how steep is it?

There's a nice video linked from the website here

http://on3.de/#/element/9722/deutschlands-erstes-freeride-skigebiet-das-ist-natur-pur
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
lynseyf, there are a lot of variants in the Dammkar. The standard marked route is not particularly steep, I guess it would be a black run if it were a piste. Some of the variants are quite steep though...
You get into the run itself by walking 400m through a tunnel from the top of the Karwendelbahn, which is enough to keep the hordes away on most days!
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
lynseyf, Actually that is quite a nice video, and it's not unusual to find the run as empty as it was when they filmed it.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Steilhang wrote:
Neil Neige check out the website for the Dammkar before going, it isn't always open, and depending on the snow conditions you quite often have to walk the last Km or so back to the gondola... But that's what makes it such a great place to ski!

Thanks Steilhang, yes, the risk of having to walk the last km adds to the excitement factor!
Can you recommend any cheap&cheerful places to stay in Mittenwald? Just a basic hotel would be fine.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Neil Neige, I don't have any experience of Hotels / Guesthouses in Mittenwald, but this site here seems to throw up a lot of choices, most of which I would say are pretty good value!
latest report
Thanks Steilhang, just noticed you're in Munich, I'm moving there in March hence all the slightly excited questions about local skiing. I think it will be a bit of an upgrade from my present local (much as I love Glenshee!).
snow report
lynseyf, Moving to Munich? Good plan! I moved here from Dundee 27 years ago. Never looked back! The original idea was to come here for two years, get some skiing in, then see what gives! Somehow didn't quite work out that way. Don't hesitate to PM if you need any help along the way.
snow report
lynseyf, Your original question seems to be somewhere that your friends can go for 2 weeks and you can join them on the weekends. None of the German resorts mentioned will keep them happy for 2 weeks. I live in Lenggries and its a great place to ski but its more for a long weekend. Your friends would not want to be here for 2 weeks. No resort in Germany would do that. Best plan is definitely somewhere in the SkiWelt area.
ski holidays
Steilhang wrote:
Neil Neige, I don't have any experience of Hotels / Guesthouses in Mittenwald, but this site here seems to throw up a lot of choices, most of which I would say are pretty good value!

Thanks Steilhang - much appreciated. Look forward to checking out Mittenwald.
I'm a big fan of off-the-beaten-track resorts.
Neil
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy