Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Getting Fit

Poster: A snowHead
I go away in 3 weeks time to the 3V and ive decided to do some training before i go. Im overweigh and generally rather unfit, so ive started training every day starting this evening. Nothing special tonight as its my first time, but in 10 minutes i covered 5.5km on the exercise bike. My intention is to build it up every day to build my fitness levels up. Can anyone give me some tips please on DO's and DONT's. I also have a rowing machine which i will start to incorperate later this week. Hoe much benefit am i likely to see in the 3 weeks before i go skiing?

Thanks
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Ricklovesthepowder, not much to be honest...but every little helps.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
if you exersise everyday for 3 weeks of couse it's going to help.... how much you want to do is up to you but 10 minutes on exercise bike isn't really very much if you hope to be skiing 4+ hours a day...
1 hour before you go to work and 1 hour when you come back would be better Wink rather than build the time up start off slowly and build the intensity up as you get fitter...
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
some biking and rowing is good , but the benefits to your skiing from this sort of easy cardio will be ancient history after you've been out for a few hours on the first day.
Add some ski specific core and leg strength work, 3 x per week, that will help you more than easy cardio; plus some balance work; and address any mobility limiters you have (can you 1 leg squat equally on each leg? is your rotational stability adequate? can you laterally lunge equally on both sides?) Sorting these out will help most people more than a bit of cardio...although 3 weeks is not so long, every little does help and you may as well do the stuff that helps the most
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Ricklovesthepowder, yep, a bit late, but better than nowt. If you can, jog on a treadmill instead of the bike, the impact will give your legs more of a ski related work-out. If you're doing bike/jogging the rowing machine might be unnecessary, they're all cardio work. Squats and lunges are great, as many as you can manage. As well as building up thighs they'll improve your core. Stand on one leg and to shoulder presses & arm curls with free weights, also good for core strength. Don't ignore calves, hold weights and stand on tip-toe, as many as you can. Alternate 10 tip-toes with 10 squats, 3 of each. It'll hurt like a mother-lover after but you'll feel the benefit when skiing.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
if you start with the rowing, make sure you get someone to show you proper technique. it always pains me to see the inefficient bum-shoving on display in most gyms Little Angel it can also be bad for your back if you don't do it right
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I don't agree with some of the advice above.

It's sensible to start with 10 minutes if you haven't been active for a while, best to avoid overdoing it and therefore avoiding the risk of soreness and injury, add 5 minute each day and you'll soon but up to 30 minutes - after that aim for 30 - 60 minutes each session. You can also do intervals to vary the pace and intensity.

IMHO cycling is much better than running for ski/snowboard exercise, it works the same muscles more closely and is low impact.

Any exercise you're doing now will be a great benefit for your holiday - launching into 6 hours of intense activity having been dormant for a while is a recipe for fatigue and soreness - not the best way to enjoy your week! If nothing else the activity now gets your body used to being active and gives you some protection from soreness.

Here's a few links that might help:
http://www.goneboarding.co.uk/features/fitness-for-snowboarding/featureid/5/showfeature.aspx
http://www.skiclub.co.uk/skiclub/infoandadvice/article.aspx?articleID=74
http://www.skiclub.co.uk/skiclub/infoandadvice/article.aspx?articleID=75

HTH - good luck! Happy
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

HTH - good luck! Happy

After looking at all those strengh exercises, that seems to be the one thing one needs the most!!! Laughing
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Ricklovesthepowder, best advice would "start 2 months ago". 3 weeks before you go is not ideal - every little will help, but building fitness takes time. I've started already for the mid-march sopib2012 bash Smile
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Update, i did 30 minutes last night instead of a hard 10. Feel a little sore this morning but better for it!!! That rowing machine is bloody nackering Shocked
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
IMHO improving your balance will give you the best returns. (slacklining, BOSU , Balance board etc). Building strength or fitness without improving your balance just allows you to remain out of balance for a few minutes longer.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Ricklovesthepowder, 3 rowing sessions 10 mins each with a 2 minute gap, full belt every other day.....watch the weight fall off. 45min Spinning classes 2x a week and 100 sit ups a day and plenty of walks. No beer since New Years Eve and only 1/2 bottle wine in Fridays and Saturdays, boring life eh? No milk, no coffee, green tea and plenty of fruit and fibre, porridge for breakfast, no eating after 7pm and NO snacking. Doing same as you - keep it going!! Getting results Very Happy
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Markymark29, try the plank, straight leg raises, arounds the worlds etc and don't forget the back excercises!! Trainer at my gym doesn't rate sit ups, says if your not raising a sweat, your not working the core, he has some bl**dy hard core exercises that don't involve sit ups!!

Ricklovesthepowder, other simple things like not taking the lift and walking up/down stairs wherever possible and taking a brisk walk at lunchtime will also help alot.....

Try some wall sits Smile

http://exercise.about.com/b/2007/01/30/exercise-of-the-week-wall-sits.htm
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
squats, lunges etc etc
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
kitenski, Good shout!!
snow conditions
Quote:

Try some wall sits

...if you want to train your body to be in the backseat position. Far better, do a 1 leg squat and hold at the bottom position - gets the leg burn but in a balanced "over your feet" position, which will actually help your technique not destroy it
snow report
Renry wrote:
squats, lunges etc etc

+1

For what it's worth, although we each have a reasonable base level of fitness, Mrs chemistry and I have engaged the services of a personal trainer prior to our first ski trip next month.

It's all ski specific stuff and is focussed 60% on squats and lunges (including various torturous variations of each), 20% on core strength and 20% on balance and stretching. He comes for an hour a week and it is HARD! For the next two days there is noticeable muscle soreness, although three weeks in we have both noticed that it's getting easier (session 3 didn't feel so bad and we were only sore for a day...). Other than balance practice, he encourages us not to practice on our own more than once in between the weekly sessions.

Trainer's view is that every little helps, but 6 weeks is the minimum to get anything meaningful done on this basis, regarding strengthening teh required muscle groups.

So I reckon Renry is right and you should focus on the squats etc. but bear in mind that if you are doing them 'right' you may only be able to get a couple of 'good' sessions in per week, in order to let yourself recover properly in between.

chemistry

**Disclaimer - this is our first ski trip, so I have no idea whether we'll actually benefit from any of this. I'm just passing on what our trainer is doing with us.**
snow conditions
zebedee wrote:
IMHO cycling is much better than running for ski/snowboard exercise, it works the same muscles more closely and is low impact.

Running is more convenient though and where cycling has less impact, it's also pretty well documented to provide less cardiovascular fitness and slower, lower body strength gains than running does for the same amount of time invested therefore making say a 50 mile cycle ride about equivalent to a 10 mile run. It's also not a particularly winter friendly exercise i.e. wind, rain, cold and darkness are all much more bearable on 2 legs than on 2 wheels. Regards negative impact, it also really helps to have soft ground underfoot. I've run 4 or 5 times a week for many years now and do almost all of it in forest tracks and mountain paths. But if I start hitting the road regularly, my knees start to hurt.
ski holidays
Quote:

if you are doing them 'right' you may only be able to get a couple of 'good' sessions in per week

so do those hard sessions and on the days between, do some cardio and core work which help the sore parts recover
snow report
moffatross wrote:
zebedee wrote:

... where cycling has less impact, it's also pretty well documented to provide less cardiovascular fitness and slower, lower body strength gains than running does for the same amount of time invested therefore making say a 50 mile cycle ride about equivalent to a 10 mile run. It's also not a particularly winter friendly exercise i.e. wind, rain, cold and darkness are all much more bearable on 2 legs than on 2 wheels. Regards negative impact, it also really helps to have soft ground underfoot. I've run 4 or 5 times a week for many years now and do almost all of it in forest tracks and mountain paths. But if I start hitting the road regularly, my knees start to hurt.

Not true. Higher intensity = more cardiovascular fitness. People who don't get a good cardiovascular workout from cycling don't pedal fast enough and tend to push on the pedals - this is not 'cycling' and is not good for your knees. When I cycle I keep my pedal rate at over 100 revolutions per minute.

If you want to have a good workout try covering 40miles in 60minutes(EDIT: obviously adjust for your fitness but the point is that cycling can be very hard work) or do interval sprints with maximum effort.
Even if you don't make the time you will have a fantastic workout.
ski holidays
Elston, I agree with you regards exercise intensity but in the real world, I still think for the average recreational cyclist and runner, my sums are about right. As for your 40 miles in 60 minutes challenge, I think I'll give that a miss. Laughing The world record for that time is less than 31 miles wink

Anyway, while trying to avoid all the nerdiness of talking about muscle groups used and VO2 max, lactate threshold, heart rate and cadence training etc. my original contention against ...

Quote:
cycling is much better than running for ski/snowboard exercise

... was that running is as at least as good as cycling to get you fit for skiing if you can learn to enjoy it. And that's because for most people, running will need less time investment than cycling for the same overall effort expended and can still be done safely/comfortably in shite winter weather and in the dark nights after work.
ski holidays
gra wrote:
Quote:

if you are doing them 'right' you may only be able to get a couple of 'good' sessions in per week

so do those hard sessions and on the days between, do some cardio and core work which help the sore parts recover

Indeed. Wise words.
latest report
Elston wrote:

If you want to have a good workout try covering 40miles in 60minutes(EDIT: obviously adjust for your fitness but the point is that cycling can be very hard work) or do interval sprints with maximum effort.
Even if you don't make the time you will have a fantastic workout.

Another case of classic Internet forum bollox Laughing

Reckon if I submitted this to Cycling Weekly I could win letter of the month Smile

Even if you meant 40km that is still elite cycling!

Have a look at the ACL rehab thread to see what http://www.snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=80426&start=40 I'm doing to get back on the "hill".................
ski holidays
Weathercam, the actual figures are not my point!!!!!! I certainly cannot cycle that fast but the point is that cycling can be made as hard as you want to make it!!!! I stated virtually impossible figures to emphasise this point. To say that cycling (or swimming or rowing for example) provides less cardiovascular fitness than running is complete rubbish because you can always work harder to get a better workout.
snow report
Elston wrote:
Weathercam, the actual figures are not my point!!!!!! I certainly cannot cycle that fast...............

Not many people can NehNeh

Think if you read the ACL thread you'd see that I know just a little about training / getting fit wink
ski holidays
I hope you have a fantastic trip. Did you know that there's a technique whereby you don't have to kill your legs while you're skiing? If you ski with the balance in the centre of your foot (which is how we're all supposed to ski - ask any instructor) you'll need a lot less energy. I can give you some info on how to achieve this with a handy new training device if you'd like to direct message me (top right of screen). Cheers.
latest report
Anyone know the going rate for a home visit from a personal trainer?
ski holidays
Boredsurfing, probably around £35-40 per hour upwards in Hampshire for a decent on, I charge £50/hour in London and am probably at the lower end of the pricing scale. Obviously choose your trainer based on their understanding of what you want to achieve - as in go for someone who skis. The course to become a qualified PT is very basic, imo.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
last time i went skiing, i found out all about DOMS, or delayed onset muscle soreness.
Nothing to do with over-exerting the muscle, but all to do with stretching muscles in compression.
The pain comes on after 24-48 hours, and lasts 72 hours or so - it can ruin the first few days of a holiday.
Once it's there - nothing you can do about it. painkillers dont work, and muscles are reduced in strength.
You can be quite fit, and still get it if your 'normal' exercise isn't 'eccentric'
Eccentric exercise is stretching a musce under tension - the 'down' portion of a squat, or the 'down' portion of standing on tip toe.

running, jogging, swimming and cycling do not necessarily give you enough eccentric muscle action to get you used to it, though running downhill, squats etc do.

I was advised to actively initiate DOMS about 3 weeks before going skiing this year, which will prevent it on the slopes.
Muscle pain will then purely be from a strength / stamina, or lack thereof.

Best way to do this is lots of calf exercises - repetitive standing on tip toes, with or without weights, squats and lunges etc.

Although i swim 6k a week, and cycle over 100 miles a week, i always get this pain skiing. I thought it was fitness related.
I went through the pain last week after one evening's intensive eccentric exercise, as advised, and this week can do all of the exercises with no post exercise pain at all.

Hopefully, skiing at the end of Feb will be a far less painful affair.

p.s. - i have no medical qualifications WHATSOEVER!!
ski holidays
dudders, any exercise you're not accustomed to can cause DOMS, however as you rightly said if you get it you then have some protection from it for a while (assuming you don't do something new that you're not accustomed to). Interesting thing is that if lets say calf raises is the exercise you want to get used to then you don't need to push it so far that you actually get DOMS - certainly not to a painful level, building it up gently also works, but without the pain.
ski holidays
Oh bug. I went for the pain. Too late, now! Seems to have worked, though!
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy