Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Skiing with children can they cope with 2 weeks ?

Poster: A snowHead
My wife and I skied before kids now we want to take them. All boys aged 11 , 10 , 6. Driving out to Val T. Have booked for February and Easter and will be driving out. February will be their first week and Ester will be their second and potentially third . Do you think they will enjoy 2 weeks at Easter or would 1 week skiing and 1 week at home chilling be better. Cost is not the real issue just could the kids hack 2 weeks of skiing ? I can't decide. Your thoughts please.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
The thing about a two week trip is that you are less likely to ski every day - consider how tired they would get - so it helps if you stay somewhere where there's other stuff to do. For instance, we have done a fortnight in Soll, which has a nice pool, reasonable XC and reasonably good access to Salzburg and Innsbruck; similarly, we have been to Canada a few times and would not go for less than 10 days, but have taken time to go to local museums, dog-sledding, etc. Our son was 2 in Austria and 6 in Jasper, 7, 8, and 9 in Banff - we're going back in three weeks (he's 12)

If they like playing in the snow and you think you can find the no-skiing activities, then go for it.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Accidentprone, It's hard work and tiring for them. My daughter did 10 days in Canada when she was 9 and 2 weeks (12 days out of 13) when she was 12. It was hard work for me too, I was very tired after that last trip.

We always go for 10 days (9 days skiing) now at Easter, have done so for the last few years. It's ideal if you can get a booking for that duration.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Accidentprone, We went for 2 weeks last year and are doing so again this year - kids 9 and 12. They loved it BUT they are experienced skiers and can't get enough of it so are happy to ski every day. It is great fun to go for a couple of weeks especially if you can drive and visit a couple of resorts, last year we did Megeve and Risoul this year it will be Ste Foy and Risoul. The problem you perhaps have is not knowing if they are going to take to it, if you're prepared to book late why not see how they get on in February.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Never mind the kids, I couldnt do it.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Accidentprone, I can't see any problem with doing 2 weeks. Nice work, if you can get it! Our first family ski holiday was 2 weeks - self catering in Austria. Boys aged 9 and 11 and daughter aged 4. We booked 2 weeks because it wasn't much more expensive than 2 (or at least, it didn't seem so, on the basis of the package......). We took grandma, and it worked perfectly.

The journey was a hassle. huge delays because of fog in East Midlands - coach to some other airport. Late into Salzburg, missed the transfer, had minibus taxi in the middle of the night, etc etc.

The fact that we were there for 2 weeks made it far more worthwhile. Our daughter was uncertain about skiing, the other four of us went into beginner ski school (4 people, 4 different classes) and grandma looked after the baby in the mornings, and made lunch. Then I did dinner, and we played snowballs, toboganning etc and by the end of the first week daughter decided she did want to ski, and was in ski school for the second week. On the middle weekend we had a couple of days off, visited Bad Kleinkirchheim and the rather splendid spa baths there, on the bus. Explored, pottered, practised our German, did some walks. No pressure to ski from dawn to dusk, plenty of time to practice what we'd learnt in lessons, explore the possibilities in the tiny local supermarket to invent some good meals.

It was great.

Mind you, I wouldn't want to go to Val Thorens for 2 weeks, if I had any choice. Shocked
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
We did 9 days skiing at Christmas with our 2 (aged 7 and Cool - we had a great time. Generally 7yr old and my husband were ready to finish before me and 8yr old so we often skied on for an hour or so on our own. Both were sad to stop skiing when we went home so we def hadn't reached the end of our ski legs!
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Accidentprone,
Always used to go for two weeks with the kids when they were young at Easter, never had any problems, would still do it only getting the holidays is difficult.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I'd wait and see how February goes before deciding on the second week.
2 weeks with a reluctant participant can be incredibly stressful.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
If it their first week ever then the one thing that is certain is that they will love it and want to go again. I would suggest that in two weeks they will get tired/fed up occasionally and not get the best out of it.
If it was me I would take them for a week, go home for a few weeks and let them digest it, think about it, have some rest and start to want to go again. Then do a second week. That way they will ski every day and make the most of the two week as well as having something else to look forward to.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
We always used to go for 2weeks when I was a child. I think it's better than 1 week - you feel less need to ski every minute of the day, and there is time to get over the muscle aches (more an issue for you than them!). They will also progress and consolidate more in 2 weeks.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Our first family hol was 2 weeks - self catering in Austria, and the extra week didn't cost much more. Though as it was our first holiday we hadn't quite cottoned on to how much the ski passes cost!

Anyway, was a huge success. 2 boys and parents were in ski school in week 1, when grandma looked after 4 year old, who also spent time in a local nursery - which she tolerated, without too much moaning, though nobody spoke any English. Then she did ski school the second week (she wouldn't have wanted to get thrown straight in, but after seeing others having fun, and the girls her age getting badges and medals at the end of the week, she decided she wanted a go too.

On the middle weekend we went by bus to Bad Kleinkirchheim and visited the rather splendid swimming pool.

Our accommodation also had an outdoor/indoor natural spa heated pool, which was a huge hit with all.

The kids loved having more adult attention than they were used to at home - no TV, lots of board games etc and "grownup" drinks. My mother gave the boys each a little glass of her "bayleaves" each evening and they felt fantastically sophisticated. The second week we skied together a bit, after our week's beginner lessons, watched the little one getting on with it, and generally enjoyed ourselves. We didn't bash it from first lift till last.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
my 5 yo grandaughter did 2 weeks in Jan, first time on skis, 1st week did morning and afternoon lesson, 2nd week just morning lessons with family skiing in the afernoon. she thoroughly loved it and cant wait to go again. be prepared to do some shorter days but with 2 weeks that isnt a problem.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I will suggest the kids will cope better with two weeks skiing than the adults, as a child with a father who farmed we could only have winter holidays, my parents would take me out for 4 weeks skiing in a single holiday, I never had any problems and I was never a particularly fit kid
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
"Will they enjoy 2 weeks at Easter" - ours did from an early age and if they start getting tired (although as previous posters have said the parents tend to get tired faster!) you can swim/ have lunch somewhere different/ do something else for a day or two as required. Enjoy !
snow report
Accidentprone, The question is : are they happy to go skiing? Do they love skiing? I suggest you not skiing all day every day, it would be hard for them mainly for the youngest one. Sometimes the ski conditions are a bit hard in the afternoon (slushy snow, heavy snow) so it's good to have a break, to have a rest or, and, to practice other activities, ice skating, sledging, swimming, walking in Vanoise National Park, ... Not just skiing all day!
ski holidays
Maybe complement the skiing with something else - e.g. tobogganing? I have just returned from supervising our school ski trip and we had the world's longest toboggan run iin Neukirchen, Austria. It was a Year 5 and 6 ski trip (so similar ages to yours) and the pupils loved the variety it offered. We spent a week over Feb here http://www.321ski.co.uk/Neukirchen.php Very Happy
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy