Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Summer resorts... for a walking honeymoon

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
pam w wrote:

I love the Beaufortain and agree with your comments - I am very lucky with my doorsteps. But we do enjoy some not-too-strenuous walking in Chamonix in the summer. My OH has a heart problem so being able to use the lifts to access things like the Balcons du Sud and Nord is wonderful - we can be right in amongst that high mountain scenery without having to risk dropping dead. wink It's not crowded or noisy once you get up into the mountains. I must come and join one of your summer walks one day - as long as it's not too strenuous!

Yes, for the access to places like Lac Blanc and Cheserys the lifts make it them accessible to a greater range of people. I'd be delighted to meet up some time for a summer walk or snowshoeing. Best wishes Mark
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Randomsabreur,the summer season will have already started in Briancon/Monetier, and lifts will open from mid-June. All that will open will be by the 7th July.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Having had a bit of a hiatus due to potential car issues (co car possibly not being available and we're totally unable to source sensibly priced euro recovery for the "toy" ) back to planning the honeymoon...

Must haves:

w/c 7 July (Fri/Sat changeover) or mid week previous week. Tuesday changeover earliest possible!
Mountains
Double Bed in separate bedroom - no bunks, it is my honeymoon! Not really up for hut to hut, but might consider 1 day in a hut/tent at a push.
Self Catered but sensibly priced restaurants available in resort
Walking suitable for people used to Dartmoor/Snowdonia, but not involving major danger of death from falling (or murder due to walk getting too exciting - I can cope with grade I scrambles so long as they are not too exposed. Anything ressembling rock climbing without a rope, or Crib Goch would lead to a VERY short marriage (possibly due to death of OH!)

Nice to have
Balcony with view of mountain tops
Accessible "friendly" via ferrata (no blacks
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Randomsabreur, Would like to support the Serre Chevalier suggestions. Loads to do in every sense and you may find it easier to find an apartment with a double bed more easily than in the Austrian or Südtirol areas of the Dolomites.

Contact Hells Bells to see about her place or about any others she knows of in the area.

Are you driving out from the UK? Perhaps you may get some recovery insurance by contacting some of the continental motoring organisations - I once got coverage for a really ancient Triumph Herald from Mondial Assistance when everyone in the UK refused because of its age. Alternatively maybe the Classic Car club have some suggestions, even if your car does not yet qualify for the classic status.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
visit the Corsicans : Calvi. Next to the sea, to the mountains (varied). And if you happen to realise you cannot deal with the marriage you can put everything behind and join the REP !!!
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Randomsabreur, we can do up to the 8th July , or we have 10 days from 13th July. Yes, we have double bed, and a south-facing terrace with mountain views. Via ferrata in the area. Can locate you something else if the dates don't suit. PM me iif necessary.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Have a look at http://www.summerzest.co.uk/ which is based in Peisey - nice summer catered chalet holiday. Run by an English ski instructor who lives here year round so plenty of advice about summer skiing and walking etc.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I know I live here but Les Gets would be an excellent choice for a walking holiday. I do agree that Chamonix is an amazing place to walk also so a twin centre holiday sounds ideal.

PM on the way re accommodation

Andy
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Hi Randomsabreur,

Firstly congratulations, we hope you have a great day and what a way to spend your honeymoon!!!

Plenty of advice on here, I'd go with the slightly lower resort height taking advantage of the nice green grass, flowers & cows! With regard to the Vanoise National Park, its simply stunning in July & August and there is plenty to do. Skiing at Tignes is also just over an hour away.

Whatever you decide, I'm sure it'll be fantastic and a million times more exciting that getting sand in your shorts!
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Eventually decided to go to the Dolomites (Arabba) and Austria (Mayrhofen) as the original idea was a little unrealistic as far as the driving time to "fun" time ratio was concerned. Also had to put off planning until we finally got confirmation that we could have the company car.

We're aiming to spend a day at Hintertux. What's the most realistic way to sort insurance for this? Ideally something that covers mountain walking and via ferrata (possibly) as well, all in 1 policy. Not mad on having to buy a "winter sports" policy for 1-2 days of skiing, but if that's what's necessary to get the cover, that will have to do. I do have a parental "home" on the continent (France) that at a push one of us could be repatriated to (if immobile, death to parents less likely than if not broken!) if there's something like a carte neige equivalent.

All help so far has been much appreciated, even though I didn't end up using it (planning a honeymoon is definitely a team sport!) as I got outvoted on location.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Randomsabreur, I don't know if the two following options would cover what you want...
Have a look at the Austrian Alpine Club. Link to the UK branch http://www.aacuk.org.uk/benefits.aspx
A year membership includes Worldwide Rescue and Repatriation Insurance.
Or, insurance through the Austrian Mountain Rescue Service http://www.bergrettung.at/ENGLISH.484.0.html
The second one appears to be just mountain search and rescue.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Randomsabreur, snowcard do short break ski policies IIRC
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Randomsabreur, I'm amazed no-one has recommended Samoens! Embarassed
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I'd go to any of the major alpine centres.

Chamonix

Cortina

Zermatt

Saas Fee

St Mortiz? but I haven't visited

Difficult to choose between them also you could consider Morocco (stay a bit in Marakesh- very interesting) then go to the Atlas- but the walking is very tough esp if you don't have a guide.

Or Corsica- fantastic walking and hotels/sea/beaches/food.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Randomsabreur, maybe not Morocco or Corsica- walking quite tricky.

Cortina is fantastic for food, scenery, wine, walking and scrambling and you can stay in beautiful mountain huts a bit http://www.rifugiofanes.com/ not huts as some might know the- lovely huts with double rooms, showers etc as well as in hotels in the valley.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy