Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Recommend me some googles less prone to fogging.....Please

Poster: A snowHead
Hi All,
I really seem to struggle to find Goggles that don't fog up.
Perhaps its because I have a extremely sweaty face and eyes....!!
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
My oakleys are good. need to check which model
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Smith, Oakley, Bolle, Electric, Anon, used all of the models with no probs. You get what you pay for to a certain extent.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I've got two pairs of Oakleys and they have never fogged up. I think the A frames can be had on sale for £40 these days.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I've had Oakleys in the past and they still used to fog.
That was a few years ago though perhaps the newer ones are better,
Or maybe its just me and i'm destined never to be able to wear goggles.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Maybe it's something you do that makes them fog up.
It's easy to make a small mistake - trap your sweaty hat under them, block a vent with a face mask etc. Once they get a little foggy, it soon gets worse. Golden rule - never leave them on top of your head if you have a hot hat.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Spit in them, then rinse out with water (best a damp cloth rather than sloshing loads around). Sounds unpleasant/odd (and don't cough up a grolly first) but as with scuba goggles this will prevent fogging.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
slownorm, it's probably more to do with fit than actual brand of goggle. If cold air gets in and interacts with warm face they will fog up. The best pair I ever had cost €18 and weren't any specific brand.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
ski faster, more air in, less warm air trapped....simples, you're welcome etc
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
pdjs wrote:
Maybe it's something you do that makes them fog up.
that'll be it. Make sure they can vent and keep 'em on yer face. Really no need to spit in them Laughing
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I find wearing a helmet reduces fogging. Probably something to do with sweat on forehead getting soaked up in helmet padding. Also could be that goggles are less tight against face.

Wear sunglasses!

NehNeh
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
slownorm, I've given up with 'brand' (Oakley, Smith etc) ones - cos when it's snowing they (IMV) ALL fog up. So now I wear one (cheaper) set, and carry a dry spare set in my rucksack. Usually don't spend more than £30.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
As discussed previously, all goggles will fog up if the conditions are right for it. It's called physics. Presuming you have dual lenses, if the top or bottom vents are blocked or restricted the warm air cannot be replaced by cold air and fog will form. Typically a hat blocking the top vents, or buff and/or high jacket collar directing warm breath up through the goggles. Make sure these are clear and virtually no goggles will fog.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Rub them with a little dish washing up liquid and then polish them. The minor residue of soap it leaves breaks down the surface tension of the water and they don't fog. I find you need to repeat it every couple of days, but it does work.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I've got Alpina's. Have been out in pretty much everything over last couple of weeks and never had a problem with fogging. Clarity in poor light is also excellent.
latest report
I have Oakley Stockholm and we skied lapland last year end Jan - it was extremely cold and I was quite hot but goggles stayed clear. Not sure if they do a mens equivalent Hubby thinks they do.
snow report
migletski, my Stockholms have fogged once and that was when I was sitting in a deckchair in the sun. I wondered if it takes passage of air past the lenses as you ski to keep them clear.
latest report
Megamum, Possibly I tend to remove even before my skis (1st things I take off to cool the face). Will have to put them to the test this year.
latest report
migletski, I'd taken mine off, but never had sunnies with me and was looking directly at the sun hence being prepared to risk 'panda eyes'. The strange thing was they fogged between the double lens. I did complain to Oakley, but they wanted me to mess around sending the lenses back to test and as they had cleared I decided to live with it. It hasn't happened since, but then I haven't sat in the sun in them since either.
ski holidays
I tried a few pairs of cheap goggles, all of which steamed up. One day I got into quite a dangerous situation in Cham, where I couldn't see 10m ahead because I was permanently fogged up. The terrain was steep, it was snowing and I was alone.

That evening I walked into a shop in the town and bought a pair of Oakley Crowbars. I have never had a fogged lens since.

Recognise that your goggles are an essential piece of survival kit and buy ones that you can rely on.
latest report
Another very happy Crowbar user here. Great fit on my bonce, even better than the more expensive Splice. No fogging problems at all since I had them. (Worn with a Smith Holt, if that makes any difference)
ski holidays
Thanks all,
Obviously something I'm doing wrong......
Only got 10 days to wait and I can try to put into practice the suggestions.
I've got a feeling it has been down to my headware i've used an ignite D30 beanie for the past couple of years and this does make my head really hot.
I've got a helmet this year with vents so hopefully things will be better.
latest report
I've never owned a pair of goggles that haven't fogged up at some stage. I currently have 2 pairs of Oakley Wisdoms (now, sadly, discontinued) + assorted lenses because they fit my face best and I like Oakleys. They've been pretty good. Anyway, I'm a big bloke, I ski hard and I sweat. A lot. Here's some things I've learned over the years:

- All goggles will fog up if you're hot & sweaty, it's cold out, and you stop moving - airflow through the vents is key.
- The last 2 seasons I've worn a helmet and it's made a BIG difference to the fogging problem. I assume because previously either my beanie was covering the top vents or they got soaked with sweat and became partially blocked or even frozen and therefore less efficient (or completely useless) and the helmet now wicks the sweat away (FYI - my helmet is a Smith Vantage - loads of air vents so I don't get too hot becasue of it!)
- Try to leave them on your face as much as possible - if they fog in a lift queue or on a lift where there's no breeze, they'll clear very quickly when you get going (and if it's REALLY cold, the fog will freeze solid as soon as you take them off and then you're really up the creek!) EXCEPT:
- if you face-plant in powder: get upright, get your goggles off immediately and shake the snow off them and blow it out the vents before it gets a chance to melt into the mesh, leave them off (tucked into helmet maybe) while you find your skis/poles! They will still most likely fog when you get them back on because they'll be cold & damp and you'll be very hot after hunting around the pow for your kit but stop at the next cafe and hold them under the hand-drier in the bogs.
- NEVER be tempted to wipe the fog/moisture from the inside - you will ruin the lenses very quickly. One speck of dust will engrave a scratch right accross your sight-line and, trust me, this will infuriate you way more than fogged goggles - especially if the light goes flat.
- Carry a spare pair of goggles, or at the very least sunnies, in your pack for when you can't find a hand-drier!

Hope that helps!
snow conditions
jma wrote:
stop at the next cafe and hold them under the hand-drier in the bogs.

this is a great tip. i try to get a bit of hand drier/goggle action in every time I stop at a cafe. if there is no hand drier I try to find a radiator to dry out (and warm up) the goggles
ski holidays
jma wrote:
- NEVER be tempted to wipe the fog/moisture from the inside - you will ruin the lenses very quickly.

Welcome to snowHeads! That's all good advice, and I would add that be careful when wiping the outside of goggles because if ice has formed on them it's easy to scratch the outer lens.
ski holidays
I've found Smith goggles to have very good ventilation
snow conditions
Quote:

i try to get a bit of hand drier/goggle action in every time I stop

why does that sound vaguely obscene?
snow conditions
I'll echo the helmet comments. Since buying a helmet, my reassuringly cheap goggles almost never mist up however sweaty I get. There are a few usage tips, though:

- Keep your goggles in place whenever possible, especially if it's snowing. Any slight misting will disappear instantly when you start to move
- If you wear a neck gaiter or equivalent, don't bring it up over your nose.
- Never rest your goggles on your forehead - it'll take ages for them to demist
- Never let snow get inside the goggles. If you put them on while it's snowing, keep the outside of the lens facing up
- Use chairlifts rather than gondolas if it's humid, warm and sleet is falling on the lower mountain
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Echoing an earlier post here - I also use the Alpina's (polarised lens) but found that additional ventilation provided the cure for me - a hot fondue fork added about 20 extra small holes in the mesh top and bottom. This dramatically increased the air flow and even when working hard off piste when it's snowing (when goggles usually fog for me, but when you least want them to), no fogging.
snow report
There's seriously lots of rubbish written about goggles but jma above is closest to the truth. Fogging is all about external factors not the particular brand of goggles. I've got considerable days on at least 2 or 3 pairs of goggles and while the very great majority of them would be problem free sometime if I'd fallen early and filled them with snow (usually my default move first tracks on a powder day) or if it was just a humid day at a certain temperature then I was stuffed.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy