Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

What skating skis, boots and poles to get?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hello,

Hello folks, that's my first post...Greetings to all Very Happy

My wife and I want to buy our first pair of skating skis, we've rented in the past.

We'd like to get a good quality set which is more on the advanced side than on the beginner side.
We are skating since 3 years, I'd say our skill level is a little shy of advanced but well above beginner Very Happy

Here are our stats:

Me:
177cm (5"10')
78 kg (179 lbs)

Wife:
170 (5"6')
56 kg (128 lbs)

Any advice would be highly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Alex
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
With xc skiing, things are a bit more complicated then with alpine, so I would suggest you to visit store, where people know at least a bit about skiing Smile Size doesn't really matter all that much (no idea how it's now, but for example 10 years ago, Fischer had only one size of skate skis in their race service line... 195cm, and that was for 150cm girls or 195cm men Smile), but stiffness does matter, so it's good to see someone, who knows what to sell you. As far as length goes try to stay in height+10/15cm, which means 185-190cm for you, and 180-185cm for lady. Personally, I would stick with Fischer, since it's the only real ski, everything else is more or less joke compared to Fischer. And with Fischer, I would suggest something in range of SC or SCS. It's good enough ski, for normal money.
Boots? Go with skating boots not some combo thing. If you will ever feel you want to go classic, buy second pair of skis, boots and poles. It's pretty much same as skiing slalom and downhill with some sort of do-it-all equipment... it just doesn't work Wink
Poles... check prices and go with poles that have as much as carbon for price you are still ready to pay. Race poles are 100% carbon, but they are in range of 200-300eur/pair. Poles go down to 50% carbon and 50% fiberglass, and then you have old style alu poles, but keep with composite. Difference between 100% carbon and 50% carbon is in weight, which is not all that important for recreational skiing, and stiffness. Fiberglass are soft as chewing gum, so as I wrote, decide about your price range, and go with poles that have most carbon. Companies are only few anyway... Nowadays when Exel is gone, there's still Swix, One Way (my preferred ones after Exel is gone), Rex, Leki and most likely some other ones, but I suggest you some of these I mentioned.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Hey Alex,

Not many shops carry XC gear in the UK (I assume that's what you mean by skating skis) but off those that do I'd recommend Braemar Mountain Sports. Give them a call and they'll help you.

http://www.braemarmountainsports.com/categories.php?cat=27
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Miniflexalex, Welcome to Snowheads.

Where do you normally ski and where are you likely to be shopping for skis? What have you hired in the past and what did you like or dislike about them?
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy