Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

11 week instructor courses

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Ive been hmmmmming and ummmmming for ages about these courses for my gap year, ive added up individual prices ect. And im finding it quite hard to get the price for 11 weeks tuition, accomodation etc. For less the £7k.....

This is a lot of money, i have saved up nearly 3.5k from part time job.... Happy which im quite proud of being turning 18 in march , but how do other people fund these courses..... how the hell do i get the rest.... mum said she could loan me some money... but how do other people fund this huge sum....!?!?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
tomsteele, My daughter is 16 this month and as she loves skiing wants to get instructor qualifications. She's working on a slightly different strategy though; BASI1 this summer and BASI2 before she leaves school at 18. Then she could do a winter in the Alps and perhaps do some work as an Instructor, a bit limited choice but Switzerland perhaps. Perhaps a little late for you but another strategy.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
tomsteele, what are you getting for £7k?

AS Colin B, says you can do the BASI L1 in a UK indoor snow centre for approx £500!!
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
It depends how strong your skiing is. If you don't need that much tuition you could save a lot my doing L1 in the UK then some tuition and L2 in one of the cheaper locations.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
tomsteele, the guys above give good advice, you don't have to do the Gap year route. WHy not get a BASI trainer to watch you ski and advise on how much time they think you'd need before you get to L2 standard.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
tomsteele, As I type this I am on an 11 week CSIA instructor program in Jasper, Canada. I've been here 3 days now! Anyway, I was in your position 2 years ago when I was looking around, and spent a long, long time trying to find the right course for me - in the end I decided on the Canadian Rockies Academy. Because I booked early I got 11 weeks for about £6800. The price I paid includes:

11 weeks accommodation in a 3 1/2 * hotel
Return flights (was scheduled Air Canada flights - none of this cheap Canadian Affair stuff)
Return Airport transfers
11 weeks tuition with a level 3 or 4 instructor (3 hours a day - 5/6 people to a group)
CSIA (or CASI if you're a border) level 1 exams
Breakfast and dinner 7 days a week (a lot of other companies I looked at that cost more only provide food for 5 days a week) - I can honestly say the food is really, really good!
Bus transfers to the slopes 7 days a week (again, other companies only provide this on training days so normally Mon - Fri)
Avi awareness training
First Aid training
Optional race coach or park instructor qualification
Optional CADS course (Canadian Association of Disabled Skiers)

I too could've done the L1 in the UK, but I wanted the experience of living abroad for a few months as I never did the whole gap year / uni thing when I was in my late teens. As for funding it - another option is a 'Career Development Loan' that is a government scheme to encourage training in new skills etc. I'm not sure of the criteria, but it may be worth a look perhaps. From memory they are very low interest loans up to about £10k, but don't quote me on that! As for the course itself - it depends what you want out of it - the town of Jasper and the Marmot Basin management are shareholders in the CRA so put a lot of effort into providing the best training etc (I know I've only been here a few days, but having skied with a couple of the instructors already, I've seen first hand how passionate they are about it). A lot of people who get their L2 here actually go on to work in the ski school (as well as working all over the World). If you want any more info, PM me and I'll try to answer your questions as best I can.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
tomsteele,

It really depends on what level you are currently at; I'd suggest as others have done that the cheapest route is do your level 1 in the UK; there are regular courses at the various snow domes; probably monthy during the off-season at Hemel for example.

After your L1, assuming you pass; your tutor will give you advice as to when to do your L2. Your 3.5K will cover the costs of L1 and 2; I passed my 2 in December in Courchevel; cost about 2K GBP for everything.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I am on an 11 weeks instructor training course at Sun Peaks Resort BC Canada with The Winter Sports Company and the all inclusive package is absolutely amazing. With 5 hours training every day we are guarantened a successful season.

Being able to just put on your ski's or snowboard and ride down to the lift is a luxury that is enjoyed by only one or two resorts in Canada, and is very important if you want to be fresh for the day. Cold busses, early starts and long journeys are not my idea of fun.

Sun Peaks tick all the right boxes and being the second largest resort in Western Canada make it very hard to beat. While some trainees are traveling on the bus we are enjoying a leisurely breakfast, more training (morning and afternoon) and relaxing in the hot tubs.

It is always best to look around and decide what you want from any course. If you are there for the skiing and snowboarding and would like to work in the industry then living on the slopes and 5 hours training has to be the first choice.
The high standards set at Sun Peaks Resort and the amazing terrain over 3 mountains is enjoyed by everyone who come here. Level 4 instructors are examined here, so it goes without saying that The Winter Sports Company and Sun Peaks Resort are setting very high standards.

Take a good look at the "All Inclusive" packages of all the companies. Once you have all the information you will see for yourself who is the best choice for you and your particular requirements.

Cheers wink
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy