Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

RacePlate..you are right.

Poster: A snowHead
Having recently passed the BASI Level1 course I have reached the conclusion with much thought and insight that the BASI1 qualification is a SHAM.. a complete FARCE. The reason why a say this is because half the skiers that attended the course were definitely VERY early intermediates. They had not grasped the importance of still upper body movement. Yet the BASI trainer had still passed them. Oh What! And look at the frequency and dates of the courses. About 300 graduate as L1 instructors each season. How on earth are all of them going to find employment in the snowdomes. I find the the whole BASI concept utter rubbish.
For example this talk of flexion and those idiotic one ski exercises. There are other methods of good skiing than the BASI way. The BASI way is not Omnipotent. It is not conclusive and it is not special. Incidentally, I've seen Pete Gillespie(BASI Trainer ) ski a few times. His ski style is ungainly and lacks finesse. The last thing I would want to do is ski like him.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Hold on, I've just got to nip out and get some popcorn.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I'll get the beer.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Laughing Did you have trouble withe flexion and those idiotic one ski exercises?
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
PS: Congratulations on passing L1.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Popcorn! Popcorn!
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Also congratulations.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Dr No, Superb. Well done for passing. You should try the snowboarding L1 option - no upper body rotation allowed. Toofy Grin
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
What's the Snowheads term for "frape" I'm wondering? Laughing
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Dr No, well done for passing.

The BASI Level 1 is the first step on a qualification ladder that leads to a well regarded international qualification. The level was introduced to cater for a demand in the UK for lower level instructors in clubs, and the many artificial slopes - not just indoor slopes. People undertake the Level 1 for various reasons, that do not all necessarily include a desire to work at one of the indoor slopes - e.g. to work on a dry slope, as the first step towards their level 2 / 3 / 4 so they can then work overseas, for personal fulfillment etc.

BASI does not claim it is the only way. The Central Theme is designed to give inexperienced instructors a method to use. As you develop your experience and knowledge you will no doubt discover what works for you and your clients.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
beanie1, with an attitude like that the good Dr. will be lucky if he/she ever gets the opportunity to test out what will work

Dr No, would love to actually see you ski, if you are that much better and and have more fineness than a BASI trainer, why haven't you past the L4 then you can pass comment with some credibility, until then, why don't you just STFU

if you didn't like the system there are plenty others, canadian, austrian etc etc , think you will find them all equally below your expectations
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
when i did it, it wasn't really presented as a qualification, more a weeding out exercise so people turned up for the BASI 2 with some idea of what they were supposed to be doing. maybe best to think of it that way
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
the fact DR No is down a crevasse gives you some clue that this was just a wind up.....
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
kitenski wrote:
the fact DR No is down a crevasse gives you some clue that this was just a wind up.....
kitenski, my thoughts also!
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
CEM wrote:
beanie1, with an attitude like that the good Dr. will be lucky if he/she ever gets the opportunity to test out what will work

Dr No, would love to actually see you ski, if you are that much better and and have more fineness than a BASI trainer, why haven't you past the L4 then you can pass comment with some credibility, until then, why don't you just STFU

if you didn't like the system there are plenty others, canadian, austrian etc etc , think you will find them all equally below your expectations

Exactly....

I'm sure a few of us in the area around Hemel would club together and buy you a lift pass and you can come and give us a master class. I'd pay.
latest report
I'd love to be good enough to ski as badly as Pete.

I think the core wind-up point is sound enough - BASI are processing so many people through L1 these days (even kitenski once avowed avoider of BZK wink ) that there has to be some disappointment further down the line or lots of money to made in training courses to get people up to higher standards.
snow report
fatbob, Lol!! 3 failed on my course, it's obviously tougher up north to pass!!
snow report
For everyone's information Dr No, has shadowed me on a Level 1 at Hemel, so he actually exists.
All I'll say is he's got a long way to go before he can ski or instruct as badly as Pete. Laughing
snow conditions
To be fair......the man has a point. BASI do present one way of skiing as correct and others as incorrect. The 'correct' way of skiing as laid out by BASI does have its limitations and biasis [takes cover]. The Austrian approach to the system, regarding stance etc, where there is far more flexibility for deviation from a central balanced position comes across to me as a much more fluid way of presenting the framework for teaching.

The Italians and the French are off their rocker thinking that someone has to be able to perform to a high level of race standard before they have the capacity to pass on knowledge to others of how to ski recreationally. Surely a good teacher does not need to be a top level racer. I have seen people who can race at a high level personally but lack so many of the skills to ever be a good coach/instructor. Is there not more balanced, better all round skiers come from a freeride/freestyle background than those who have focused singularly on mastering the art of getting the most out of a fis regulation race ski.

A good instructor needs to be far more than technically competent, in my mind that is the least important aspect. Being able to observe, analyse and guide a client is what the level 1/2 are all about surely. So the OP needs to be focusing on what he has been show about how to analyse and give productive feedback rather than picking holes in the tech ability of the BASI trainers. If you have the ability to generate a safe and entertaining learning environment for your clients then you are doing well. If you have a sound understanding of all the different strands that combine to make a good skier, in any given situation, then you are better than 80% of instructors out there. Stop focussing on the negatives and go and share your passion and love for the sport with as many people as you can!?! snowHead
snow report
even being a canadian ski instructor, i find the austrian approach the best.
after 3 yrs working in austria.
just an "ordnung".
a system what makes you a better skier in the basics, preparing to have all of the fun after, when you are ready or prepared for it.
snow conditions
flintstoner, I agree with much of what you have written. But after 5-odd years in the BASI system I don't recognise that BASI "impose" a view of one way of skiing being correct and others being incorrect.

I've heard that there was a dogmatic approach to "form" and the "picture" the skier presented in the past. But what's impressed me most about BASI is the recent focus on biodynamics and what the skis are doing - rather how you look.

One thing that's always struck me about BASI trainers is how differently they ski. Some have a narrow stance; others a wide stance. Some are utterly restrained; others are completely exuberant. Some look fantastically composed; others look utterly "scrappy" (until you look at the skis).

The last thing you can call them are clones. (I know you didn't!)
ski holidays
OMG!

I have no vested interest in this. I don't teach at Hemel, and for reasons of circumstance have no intention of doing so, and when I ski there I pay to ski like any other customer. I have though skied with PSG on a mountain on several occasions. I'm a L2 and aspiring L3 who dabbles with race training on the rare occasion I have the time to. My tag line summarises my skiing. Just for the record, if I could ski a fraction as well as PSG I'd've changed my tag line to I'm the best the skier on the mountain a long time ago.
latest report
Dr No wrote:
those idiotic one ski exercises.

You have a point Dr No, secretly filmed
BASI L1 in Hemel Snowdome (2011). The idiotic exercises are at 4.36.
ski holidays
Kenny, Laughing It's always good to have an exposé. Investigative journalism at its best.
ski holidays
flintstoner,
Quote:

BASI do present one way of skiing as correct and others as incorrect.

This is simply not the case. It may have been in the past, but not now.
snow report
Dr No, My daughter Talullah said that same about my skiing also! LOL
ski holidays
can we have a ski off between gilleski and Dr No? please?
snow conditions
Arno wrote:
can we have a ski off between gilleski and Dr No? please?

Even a photo ski-off would be amusing at this point -

Round 1 - Gameface
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.

http://youtube.com/v/g4oCvv_BFC4

Hilarious thread.
ski holidays
Quote:

Surely a good teacher does not need to be a top level racer

Nope and they are not asked to be Very Happy I wouldn't call myself a top level GS skier and i set the times wink
snow conditions
Spyderman wrote:
For everyone's information Dr No, has shadowed me on a Level 1 at Hemel, so he actually exists.
All I'll say is he's got a long way to go before he can ski or instruct as badly as Pete. Laughing

come on spill the beans is he as big a knob in person as he is on the internet Laughing
snow report
skimottaret, He didn't get my vote.
snow report
Spyderman, I think that was a rhetorical question wink
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy