Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Control with one binding loose

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
My annual trip is coming to an end in Tignes Sad

If there is one thing I need to work on after this holiday, its controlling the board with one binding loose, for those potentially embarrassing lift exits and generally scooting across flats rolling eyes or around resort.

An instructor told me to put all the weight on your leading leg, and to steer by 'rotating' the foot

Anyone managed to master this and willing to share their secret?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
rookierich, Make sure your board has a good stomp pad just in front of the rear binding. Back foot on stomp pad up against rear binding. Apply forward pressure from back foot towards front of board. Steer using front foot by applying pedalling pressure to toe or heel edge.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
If it's flat just take the bloody thing off and walk. Skiers took me a merry dance all over the hill on flat blue cat tracks till we found a proper slope at Christmas, legs were hurting till I gave up "scooting" and started walking.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Practice and more practice. Marginally easier on a directional board than a twin as well.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I struggle a bit as well and found concentrating on upper body position helped. Just like when I wa first taught to board - keep shoulders parallel to board to go straight.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I fitted those diamond-shaped 'stud' stomp pads and they do work but until they get covered in snow, then they're no good. I just ended up, when exiting lifts and scooting on flats, putting my foot in my rear binding and steering like that, making sure weight was on the front. Like Lizzard says, practise counts Smile
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Snow Hound wrote:
I struggle a bit as well and found concentrating on upper body position helped. Just like when I wa first taught to board - keep shoulders parallel to board to go straight.

/\ Good advice.

On exit weight up on the front foot to get a little speed (and away from the carnage that is about to happen), when in clear space get the weight back over both feet and initiate the turn (as any other turn with both feet attached) with your front foot, your rear foot will then naturally try to control the rear try and perhaps lift a little...don't panic and when side on to the slope just stop the board with a sideslip with weight on both feet.

Don't think about it to much and as you said use your front foot (I think rotating is the wrong word though) to steer and get your weight on both feet to stop!
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Specialman, I think you'll find I actually said 'practice'. Not quite the same thing. NehNeh
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I don't have a stomp pad, but jam my foot backwards into the back binding (still on the board in front of it if you know what i mean), only takes a little pressure to stop your foot sliding.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I don't have a stomp pad but make sure there is no snow or ice on my board before I get on the chairlift. Getting off I ram my back foot against the binding and hold on to the front of the chair once I've stood up to make sure I've got my balance and it takes some speed of if its a steep ramp down from the chair. I also find one footed heel edge control a lot easier so try to get on the left ish side of the chair.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
i prefer a toe edge turn and use the right of the chair if ist a steep exit.. thats half your problem solved
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
CANV CANVINGTON, I'd be on that side too, sometimes i let my toe overhang a bit and drag as a bit of a brake.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
If I can, I strap in to my bindings whilst waiting around on the chair lift. Obviously there is no point in doing this if you have to scoot at the top if it is flat near the lift but if it is downhill after the off ramp then I would definitely recommend this method!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
mattdixon, someone fell off one of our chairlifts doing that last year.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
rookierich, don't try and do too much steering. Generally I just let the board find it's own way until i want to stop, which is when i kick it round one way or the other using the stomp pad. It's more stable at slow speed than you think it is and one of the reasons you fall so often with one foot out is because you are trying to correct it too much to get it onto an edge. You have to accept that with one foot out you will never really get the board properly onto either edge so don't try too hard. If you are going fast enough to really need to get onto an edge, you are on a steep enough hill to clip the back foot in.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy