Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Skiing in Banff - lots of questions!

Poster: A snowHead
Cathy Coins,

Only had to use the hand warmer on on occasion (-17) during the day. Went up on the first lift in Lake Louise and had to take my glove off for a few seconds to adjust something. The heat went instantly from my hand, so skied straight down again and a guy in the lodge recommended the hand warmers. They lasted all day and were really good.

Typically it was -12 during the day and I wasn't cold at all. Got down to -33 one night, but we were only out for a short walk so it was OK.
(This was at the start of December)
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
One thing to beware with the Monarch upgrade - we had centre seats and paid for extra legroom - which meant that people assumed that they could just walk over (kick) our legs to take a short cut across the plane Mad Not a good recipe for keeping blood pressure down and the temptation to kneecap some of them as they passed over/through was immense. So, it's great idea if you are on either side of the plane, but be prepared to have annoying people stepping over you if you are in the middle of the plane.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Helen101, you must have had a different type of plane to ours. There certainly wasn't any room in the centre section of seats for anyone to walk through to the other aisle. In fact, as I said I think on the other Banff thread, the front row of the middle section were very close to the front bulkhead with the result the people there had reduced leg room & were very uncomfortable. But that must have been very annoying for you - could you not get pillows and blankets and build a barricade?? Laughing
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I usually ski Lake Louise in January and have experienced temperatures from -50 (with windchill) to plus 5. When it was -50 there weren't many skiing and I was the only one in my group who didn't get frostbite, I put this down to a layer of vaseline I smothered over my face underneath my neoprane mask. The kids are always well looked after and the instructors will take them inside for a complimentary hot chocolate every hour when it's cold.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Colin B, I was there 22 Jan - 5 Feb this year and I don't think it got below -8 / -9 degrees. The handwarmer things are ok providing your gloves or mitts are either designed to take them, or you have enough room inside. Mrs YSJ who suffers from Reynauds found that if already wearing fleece inners and silk liners, they can make the gloves too tight and therefore are ineffective. Also you can't switch the warmers on and off, so they are only of use for a quite limited period of the day, unless you get the packs of throw-away ones and just keep stuffing new ones in (having removed the old ones first of course!). If you or your daughter suffer with cold hands, I would advise shelling out for a decent set of gloves or mitts instead.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
why not hire a great big jeep/people carrier.. do a week in banf, a week at whistler, then maybe a few days in vancouver or go to seatle even.. the flight is horrible.. the jet lag coming home is double horrible but vancouver airport is nice n fast to get out of
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I have just booked for banff got 14 days for under a £1000.00 bed + breakfast which includes ski carriage and a premium upgrade on the flights. As a single traveller thats not too bad as 14 days in Avoriaz came close in price. Be interested to see how the flight upgrade works last time all those in the posh seats had waitress service and unlimited drinks for the whole flight it was the wider seats and leg room that convinced me though last year was torture Im not a big guy but I could only just fit between the arms of the seat.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Good deal Russell, who did you book through and when are you going?

I booked through Inghams and I am going on the 12th January for a week, cost me under £700 including the flight upgrade and insurance!
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Hi,
Again on the temperature front Banff (and Kimberley - which may be worth a visit if you go with Inghams as I think you're entitled to a free day there or something) can be perishing especially Jan./Feb.
This year in Kimberley they had a freak warm spell that took it from about -30 to plus 5 or so practically overnight, but at least they didn't have the problems Whistler had!
Tip: buy a face mask before you go as if you do hit a cold spell they sell out instantly.
Dave.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:

Tip: buy a face mask before you go as if you do hit a cold spell they sell out instantly.

This sounds like a good idea Choodalls. Being a glutton for punishment, I'm going to Lake Louise on 21st Jan and was thinking to buy one when there if necessary. Having looked on the 'net, it seems some are neoprene and some are neoprene with fleece. Can anyone advise which is the best and most effective type to buy?
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
RichardB, I booked through Ingham's via an independent travel agent for the last week in January and 1st week in February

In Bbanff in January last year they had some warming huts on the sides of the piste where you could re-establish contact with hands and feet on the way down a run.

yard sale junkie, I have used both the fleece ones tend to get wet with condensation but are warmer, they also taste better than neoprene. wink
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Russell, If the temperatures are that extreme, doesn't the condensation on the fleece freeze and block the ventilation holes around the mouth?
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
yard sale junkie, never used one when its that cold the last time was in a blizzard so it got covered in snow anyway
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Cool Russell, hubbies mask has a neoprene bit around the mouth, but the rest is fleece. Best of both worlds?
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I used the full neoprene - yep, doesn't taste too good but does the job well. $5 Canadian dollars at a small hardware stall, $20 on the hill.....
ski holidays
The only problem with the masks is that the condensation after a while seems to transfer itself to the goggles... and in a situation of -50 I'd rather have the wind on my chin & cheeks than exposed eyes. It's vaseline all the way chaps... it's not jus for the bedroom! Shocked
snow conditions
Quote:

It's vaseline all the way chaps... it's not jus for the bedroom!

I don't need it in my bedroom, central heating is all the rage around my way!!
snow report
I got my face mask from Tchibo for about £5 (someone was selling exactly the same things on ebay for £20!) It did the trick for me in Banff - as did their ski socks actually. I was a bit impressed with that. Smile

Problem with Tchibo is that they don't stock them all year round so you have to keep an eye out and pick your moment!
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy