Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Skiing in Banff - lots of questions!

Poster: A snowHead
Hello everyone,

I am new to the forum, I have been trawling around for ages trying to find a helpful site - so I was chuffed to bits when I found you lot snowHead

Here is the thing -

I am hoping to go skiing with my family, and Banff seems to be the top choice at the moment. Our group consisits of me, hubby, our 2 girls age 9 & 7 and my parents.
Hubby and I have been skiing a couple of times before on a school trip, but neither of us has hit snow since we were about 15 (although I think we are both still capable of the snowplough, after having that screamed at me by a crazed frenchman for a week its something Im not likley to forget, much like riding a bike I imagine wink )
My parents wont ski during the trip, and my kids have never had a go either, so I need a great ski school for them. We have decided upon Banff as it seems to have things for skiers and non skiiers alike. My parents enjoy gentle walks, great scenery, coffee shops, reading by an open log fire etc etc
We are looking to stay at the Rimmrock, its had good reviews on Tripadvisor, and is a little bit away from the party crowd so should suit us just fine.(no objections to party people, just not the scene for kids and grandparents)
I need to know if I should book all this in one go through Inghams/Crystal etc, or if I should book it all independantly and seperatley? also, what about ski school for the kids? any recommendations? the other thing I need to know is the best time of year to travel, I have been told that January is a bad time to go because its to cold to ski? Also, I need to get good quality ski wear for the kids, can anyone tell me the best/warmest stuff to keep my babies toastie warm?

Thats all I can think of at the moment, any advice will be much appreciated as this is the first trip of this kind that I have ever booked Blush

Thanks everyone!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Gixer, welcome to snowHeads snowHead

Afraid I can't help....but I'm sure someone will Very Happy
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
If you can get a good price through Inghams, take it (compare the total with the flight onlyprice with Air Canada-ignore the accommodation). We went in February, not too cold, but the last weekend was busy (Alberta and U.S holidays-find out when Presidents day is). Don't take a charter flight, use Air Canada (beat the pants off BA). Columbia kit good for kids.
We did try to book this trip independently, but as there are only charters and Air Canada flying into Calgary, the flight pirces were quite expensive. By booking just a few days earlier than the half-term week, we stayed 11 days for less than the price of 7. Rimrock looked really nice, but we preferred to be within walking distance of restaurants in the evening. I can't help on the ski school as we didn't use it, but would recommend the local ski guides who go from the Sunshine and Lake louise areas each day. They split up the groups depending on ability and show you the best pistes/trails .
I would however recommend the ski school in Whistler, and you can get cheaper flights, and a bigger selection of private accommodation. A nice pedestrian village at the foot of the slopes too (remember with Banff, there's quite a drive or ski bus to the mountain each day. )
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Gixer, hello and welcome to snowheads. Now unfortunatly my only experience of ski-ing has been European based so I have nothing to offer in the way of your thread but thought I would pop in and say hello and welcome.... Some of the more experienced snowHead ;s will be along soon to help no doubt!!!
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
hi there,

Some questions back I'm afraid!

Why would you go all the way to Canada for what is in essence your first ever family skiing trip? I'd personally advise checking out somewhere substantially cheaper and closer, which will be kinder on your pocket and jet lag!

Do you have a budget in mind? Places like Andorra will be substantially cheaper, have a good ski school and you won't have any jet lag.

If you look at companies like markwarner.com they do family package holidays, or you could use an easyjet/ryanair and visit a few resorts yourself.

However I'd guess you are tied to school hols, which probably discounts that idea!

Regards,

greg
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Gixer, I think gregh has a valid point, but I think Andorra may be a no-no for non-skiing grandparents. I'd try somewhere in Austria or Switzerland instead, the long flights a real killer for the kids, especially as they'll be exhausted fron their skiing trip. The brochure prices do look reasonalbe I admit, but add in the higher cost of the lift passes, and it's swings and roundabouts. YOu'll need at least 10-11 days to justify the longer flight. And by the way, my apologies, WELCOME TO SNOWHEADS.

snowHead snowHead
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thanks for the warm welcome and the quick reply's Very Happy We have picked Banff because my mum and dad have always wanted to go there, and seeing as they are paying we are more than happy to tag along! we will be going for 3 weeks in total so we should all have plenty of time to recover from jet lag. My parents really want to see thier grandchildren on ski's, and although I know that there is no such thing of ski in/ski out in Banff, I am hopeful that they can get some sort of pass to use the shuttle buses to the ski areas?
Inghams have some good offers on at the moment, kids get free ski/boot hire and free lift passes for each adult that books the same, is this available locally or is it just a thing that Inghams do?
The only other issue we have is time of travel, we were hoping to go either new year time or over feb half term, any ideas which would be better?

Cheers everyone snowHead
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Hi Gixer

spent 3 weeks in Banff last winter, it was our first time snowboarding in Canada after years of snowboarding in France. I would agree with some of the posts, the flights are long, particularly if you are a bad flier like me.

We booked it independently but I would say if you can get a good package deal then go for it... However we got excellent flight price with Thomas Cook Airlines which were so good in economy (just over £120 each) that we were able to upgrade our seats to the premium class ones and the flights were still £200 less than air canada.

Booking it yourself means you either need to hire a car at Calgary or book your own transfers.. this was really easy done and they take you to the place you are staying and pick you up from there.

From what I remember Rimrock was on the outskirts of Banff, a bit of a walk to the centre, maybe even a bus.. mind u I could be getting it mixed up...though taxis are dirt cheap. The ski bus stops at most of the hotels/resorts. We stayed at Douglas Fir Resorts, they were good, accommodation a bit old fashioned and a good old hike up a hill from the centre of Banff but clean, with a pool and quiet and staff were very helpful. We did this because we thought we would occasionally stay in and cook but it turns out eating out is cheap in Banff (the canadians dont agree!) and we ate out most nights, it would have been cheaper to have rented a hotel room for the same period. For non skiers I would say it is an excellent choice, we took some friends to lesarcs a few years ago and they just didnt get on with snowboarding ... in the end they got bored, I think if we had taken them to Banff they would have had a better time.

There is loads to do in Banff and around for skiers and non skiers.. winter walks, trips up to the frozen lake louise, shopping so am sure the grandparents would have a great time...

What everyone says is true Banff has no actual ski resorts on site, you buy a tri-area pass and this gives you access to the following resorts - bus included in the price
Mount Norquay (small but only 5 mins drive from Banff)
Sunshine (about 30 mins drive) - I think would be excellent for beginners but mostly above the tree line and depending on the conditions the wind just scoured it.. though we did get a powder day there last year (they were in short supply) and it was just awsome Very Happy
Lake Louise (around 45mins drive) - We are quite experienced snowboarders and Lake Louise was by far our favourite resort

Not sure about ski-schools as we dont use them, but time spent at Sunshine and Lake Louise most folk getting lessons in both places looked happy ... they both seemed very geared up to kids.

Overall for the type of holiday you want I would recommend it.. because if your family doesnt take to skiing there is enough to do in the area to make sure you have a good hol.

oh and go to earls, really nice restaurant with great cocktails!
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Gixer, welcome to snowHeads.

I would suggest that Easter might be a good time to go to Canada as the season over there tends to last quite late into the year.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
lot's of good info so far.

the town of Banff is very nice with very good public transportation. the ski schools at Norquay, Sunshine, and Louise are very good as well.

go in late March.

i forget the name of the company i used, however, take the whole family dog sledding. the scenery is tremendous.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
In general in BC, feb and march are the two best skiing months - i.e. you will have the best snow in these months. However, snow should still be fine in January. It will be cold, but it's skiing, it's not supposed to be a tropical holiday Smile As for where to ski, Lake Louise is supposed to have the best skiing and the best views in the Banff area.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Hi, I've booked to go to Banff for New Year. I'm going with Neilson, found that for me once you took into account supplements you would have to pay with Inghams for scheduled flights, 2 in a room, etc Neilson work out as cheap. They do free lift passes for children (I think all TO's do) and free equipment hire for them too. Staying at Inns of Banff which looks quite reasonable. Club Ski is the school Neilson (and I think Inghams) use out there. They cater for all levels and a course is 3 full days which costs £100. For that you get a day in each resort with video on one day and races on another. Looks good value.

Has anyone spent New Years Eve there? I'm struggling to find out what entertainment there is is that night, best place to go (with kids), etc.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
My wife and I have skied Banff the last two years and thought it was great. We have been really lucky with the weather each time, arriving just after a cold spell, -40C. The first time it was mid feb and waiting for the bus in the morning it was around -15. Last year we went at the end of jan as I couldn't wait any longer and we book last minute deals. It was -5 in the mornings and above freezing most days before lunch. Whistler was really struggling with a lack of snow at the time, but we were ok.
We didn't stay at the rimrock, but did have dinner there and a look around, it's great, bit of a walk into town, but they have a shuttle bus, free I think. Your grandparents will have quite a bit to do with the frozen canyon walk, the hot pools/springs, dog sledging and day trips into calgory for shopping. They will be able to use the ski bus to get to one of the ski areas to watch the kids, $5 dollars I think it was last year.
We used the main three area ski school, club ski, for the first three days. They have 6 levels of ski group and you spend a day at each of the resorts, first at Sunshine, then Lake Louise and final day at Norquay. We weren't traveling with any kids, but talking to others they thought the ski schools were great for kids and very much aimed at families.
As mentioned we book last minute deals and so don't mind who we go with, but the one thing I would say is don't go charter, pay extra to go air canada. Monarchs seats are tiny and crampt, they charge £30 for the emergency exits, each way, and £15 extra for ski's. Air canada would've cost us £20 more for better seats and ski's. Didn't know we could book it at the time, doh.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Hi Gixer, welcome to snowHeads! snowHead

We've been for the last 2 years to Banff and love it there. We stayed last year at the Ptarmigan Inn which is right next to the main drag of shops and restaurants. The Rimrock is quite a way out but they have a free shuttle bus and it is meant to be a lovely hotel. There are lots of great walks to be had around and I'm sure your parents will love it. They can also go on organised trips such as ice walking in the canyon, dog-sledding, snowshoeing etc.

We went with Inghams and they seemed to be the cheapest of the TOs we checked out. Winter is the low season for Banff which is why Banff prices might seem cheap compared to some other Canadian resorts. We flew with Monarch, normal economy class first time Skullie , upgraded to premium class the second time Very Happy . Well worth the extra money to upgrade, wider seats, more leg room, better food and of course free alcohol Very Happy . I think it cost £160 each to upgrade - I reckoned that was only £10 extra for each hour of flight - you see you can justify anything!

Ski school - we went for the 3 day Club Ski each trip which was fine for our needs, you spend a day each in Sunshine, Lake Louise and Norquay (pronounced Norkway...) . However if your kids have never skiied before, they would be better off with the Sunshine ski school - they have a very good reputation, their ski instructors are better qualified I understand, and they look after the kids at lunchtime. This is obviously solely based at Sunshine, about 20 mins from Banff, using the highly-organised & efficient ski bus service. You can book ski school either in advance, on the transfer bus from the airport to the resort (about an hour and a half) or once you get there. If you buy the tri-area lift pass you get free ski bus travel - if not you pay for each separate journey, so your parents could certainly come and join you. The ski buses only travel out to the ski area until a certain time, I think about 11 am, and then don't start to return until about 2 pm, but they could certainly join you for lunch or something.

I would echo that March would be a good time to visit, I would say preferably early March. Hope you have a good time! snowHead
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
First off welcome

Gixer wrote:

We are looking to stay at the Rimmrock, its had good reviews on Tripadvisor, and is a little bit away from the party crowd so should suit us just fine.(no objections to party people, just not the scene for kids and grandparents)!

Can't help out too much on the skiing front as our experience is limited to Andorra, but can say that we stayed at the Rimrock a few years back In early October when doing a driving holiday in the Rockies. the day we arrived it was warm about 16 degrees a few days latter when we left there was 3 inches of snow and it looked beautiful.

It's a really nice place with excellent food and very friendly staff.
The only down side is you are a fair way from the main town centre. This wasn't a problem for us as we either caught the bus or walked it, but it might be a bit harder with kids etc.

IT is a short walk from the Gondalla to the top of the mountain and is amazing views.
I really hope you enjoy it, we'd love to go back snowHead Rob
latest report
Thank you all so much for your reply's, all the info has been superb and has helped us make our minds up that Banff is definately the resort for us! It seems that there will be plenty to do other than ski, sleigh rides and so on so thats the grandparents taken care of Smile

The only other thing I need to know about is the best/warmest ski wear to buy and the best place to get it from? Im not worried so much about me and hubby, but I really want to make sure my kids are properly kitted out and warm. Hubby and I can always go and have a coffee or something to warm up, but the kids will be in ski school for a few hours so Im a bit worried about their hands and feet getting frozen!

The only other thing thats worrying me (sorry I feel really silly asking this Embarassed ) is what happens when the kids need to go to the loo? do they have toilet breaks/stops during ski school? my youngest is only just 7 and she wont be able to ski for 4 hours straight without needing a bathroom break.

Thanks!
ski holidays
The best advice I had on clothes was to wear only one pair of socks (not 'tubes') - I bought mine from Tchibo (for a Banff trip) and my feet were much happier than the previous two trips when I had multi-layer of socks and ski tubes squished inside the boots. Other than that I just went for a set of thermals, salopettes (hello ebay!) and layers of t-shirt/fleece/ski jacket so I could strip down if necessary. The other useful thing was silk gloves to go inside my big thick gloves (made a huge difference) and this year I invested in a face mask to go with the scarf - oh toasty me Very Happy I was only numb with cold once in the whole time I was there, and that was stuck above the treeline in the wind.

I'd also say that the 3 day Club Ski lessons were great - the instructors were fab, and I reckon you'll have a great time. I've no idea about facilities for little 'uns, but I can't imagine that they'll be expected to ski without regular toilet breaks at that age Shocked

You'll have a fab time, anyway. Lucky you...
ski holidays
Gixer, if you go with the Sunshine ski school they have special classes for kids and I'm sure they're used to toilet breaks! They certainly seem well organised at lunchtime - tables reserved and lunches set out all ready for them.
snow report
I have skied in BC many times, Kicking Horse, Banff, and Whistler/Blackcomb. That is quite a distance to travel for begginer skiers if you ask me. At least from where you are coming from. Remember that these mountains are massively huge and tend to be very very steep terrain. Especially kicking horse! A blue square run there would be like a double black diamond run at certain places. Ever think about St. Anton that is a great place to ride and I would imagine be closer as well. Banff has a great night life atmosphere as well. But with the kids I'm sure your not to worried about that. But it is a wild place to ski, no doubt about that! As for the ski school I have no idea, I would never bring a begginer or intermediate skier there with me. I live in the US and that is to far to travel for me unles it's with my merry band of crazies who are all sick skiers on the same level!
snow report
Gixer, don't worry - Sunshine isn't wild (although it does have Delirium Dive and the Wild West!) and has many gentle slopes for your kids (and you!). If you go to the link I posted above to the Sunshine Ski School there is a section 'First time to Sunshine?' - this has many useful tips on clothing and what to wear.
latest report
Helen Beaumont wrote:

We did try to book this trip independently, but as there are only charters and Air Canada flying into Calgary, the flight pirces were quite expensive.

Zoom Airlines also fly into Calgary. In fact I have booked a trip for next February with them flying into Calgary and back from Vancouver. (It is also possible to arrange car hire pick-up at Calgary and drop-off at Vancouver without any additional drop-off charges Very Happy )
latest report
If it's any use here's my 10 peneth. I skied in Banff in 2003, and whilst the sking is good, I would not say its great for families because:

1 - Long flights not ideal for kids.
2 - Bus trips to slopes a pain.
3 - It's was really cold (good for snow but try telling a 8 year old)

These things can put kids off.

My first trip with kids was to Alpe d'Huez in 2004 (girls 5 & Cool, it was fantastic we went back this year, two more confirmed snowheads!!

1- Good snow as it's high.
2- Easy journey 2 hours from Lyon.
3 - Great English speaking ski school.
4 - Most importantly 2 minute walk to lifts / school meeting point. (Stay at Bergers part of town)
5- Lots of other things to do - walks, ice rink, swimming pool, parapenting, ice museum etc etc etc
6- Plenty of restaurants.

We went with Neilson and all for £2700 inc ski school / hire for two and passes for 4 - Bargain!!!

Happy Hunting Cool
snow report
Gixer,

Welcome to snowheads. And congratulations on choosing Banff: one of my favourite places in the world.

I've been to Banff about half a dozen times, now, and in that time my skiing has progressed from raw beginner status to being pretty comfortable on .....well, at least the single black diamonds. There is certainly some extreme terrain, but there's also a LOT of intermediate and beginner terrain, and its a great place to learn.

A couple of respondents have mentioned the Club Ski/Club Snowboard programme: this is truly excellent. Any improvement I've made over the years has been largely due to their first-class instruction (and first-class instructors). They have classes at all levels from never-evers to kamikaze double diamond. (Almost literrally: the instructor for the Kamikaze group is a crazy Japanese called Adsushi)

The kids programmes are also great: you can drop the sprogs off in the morning and pick them up at lunch. By the end of their time there, you might not be throwing yourself down the Dive, but you might be hard pressed to stop your kids wanting to do that.

For transport and accomodation, I've always used a TO, which has given me a healthy dislike of both Inghams and Crystal. However, for a large party, you're more likely to get a good price from a TO with discounts for kids and lift tickets. - You might try Ski Independence. They're the TO for people who don't like TOs.

The Rimrock is one of the best hotels in Banff. I've never stayed there, I can't afford it. By all accounts the standard of accomodation is very good, but then it's generally good at all of the hotels in town. The principal drawback is its remote location. The regular ski bus doesn't stop there, but the hotel has its own free shuttle that meets up with the ski bus (at the Banff Park Lodge, if memory serves me right) - I think that the Rimrock also offers its shuttle as a courtesy bus into town, so you shouldn't have any problem getting about.

Of the other hotels, I can recommend the Ptarmigan, the Mount Royal and the Banff International, which are all really handy for the town centre, shops and restaurants. The Inns of Banff, also mentioned in this thread is right up at the top end of town, about 20 minutes walk from the centre. The Banff Springs, which is the biggest and most famous hotel in Banff (possibly the most famous in Canada) is pricey, and has surprisingly small rooms. (Unless you're prepared to pay$$$).

I always try to go in late March. At that time of the year, you don't experience the bitter temperatures that you can get in January or Feb. Also, you have tha season's accumulated snow to play on, together with the likelihood of a big dump whie you're there. (I've had fresh powder during every trip).

There are also lots on non-skiing options available. You might be a bit stuck for walking (there's still a LOT of snow on the ground), but you or your parents can try dog-sledding, snowmobiling, guided wildlife tours, snowshoeing and a load of other activities.

Oh yeah: for mountain scenery it's unparalleled. Everyone should visit the Banff national park at least once in their lives.
snow conditions
Acacia wrote:
They have classes at all levels from never-evers to kamikaze double diamond. (Almost literrally: the instructor for the Kamikaze group is a crazy Japanese called Adsushi)

Mr C had him this year!! It was meant to be a fast level 5 but because this other couple were there and always had Sushi as their instructor at a level 7 he took their class - well it actually turned out to be like a level 7 (which is the level Sushi normally takes I think). Mr C was fine but it knocked the confidence out of our friends we were with. A true kamikaze Skullie
snow report
If you hire a car, we found it much easier to go to the slopes with the car, as we never saeemed to be ready at the right time for the bus, had either just missed it or had a wait in the cold. If you get a 4x4, there's lods of room for the equipment, and you don;t need to worry about the weather too much.
snow conditions
Gixer, Reading all the posts you have had lots of comment so I will try not to repeat.

I lived in Edmonton in Alberta for 4 months a while back which happily coinsided with the ski ing season. Banff was our favourite weekend trip (yes for those who know the area weekend) which involved getting up at 4am Saturday driving to Lake Louise (5 hours or so), staying Saturday night in Banff, ski the Sunday then drive back. Clearly this was in my younger, pre fatherhood days.

One of the drawbacks of Canada is the early lift time finish, often 3.30pm early in the season. This means that it can be an earlier start to really make the most of your day, particularly as you will need to drive / catch bus to the slopes from Banff. We always had a car so it did not seem such an issue to us, but hiring a car for your full three weeks might be too expensive.

Banff has lots going on so it is good for non skiers, better than many European places I feel.

Yes it can be cold, March was certainly better time as the weather "broke" the year I was there. It had been a really cold winter with -32C in central Edmonton, but much warmer in Calgary at the same time.

Stuff for the kids will be good, although I have only heard people talk about it.

Finally the other good thing about Banff rather than say Whistler in BC is that people in Alberta don't think you are an alcoholic if you say you go into pubs, rather than that coffee drinking BC lot!
ski holidays
Cathy Coins, how good is the leg room on Monarch's Premium economy? I've upgraded to that for my flight to Canada in January, will my 6' 2" frame be comfortable?! Please tell me it will be!
ski holidays
RichardB, well it'll certainly be a heck of a lot better than back in economy - that really was a nightmare. We found it to be really worth the extra money and will book the same again if we are going. Mr C is about 6', but he does have very long legs and gets easily cramped - he was fine. The seats are arranged across the width of the plane as 2-4-2, coming back we had the front row of the 2. Luxurious! Just a warning - do not get the front row of the middle 4 seats. They are right up against the wall in front and have nowhere to put their feet, as they don't slip under the seat in front and there was no emergency exit extra leg room. As we were sat next to them across the aisle we saw their discomforts and felt really sorry for them that they'd spent all that extra money Sad
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Cathy Coins,

Quote:

Mr C had him this year!! It was meant to be a fast level 5 but because this other couple were there and always had Sushi as their instructor at a level 7 he took their class - well it actually turned out to be like a level 7 (which is the level Sushi normally takes I think). Mr C was fine but it knocked the confidence out of our friends we were with. A true kamikaze

Yup. Adsushi normally takes the Level 7s. He has a reputation for starting off with a group of about 5 or 6, that gets whittled down to a hard-core of a couple, as the others dro pot with broken limbs. He's a pretty gung-ho character and very entertaining at the post-event buffet dinner, since, like most Japanese, it only takes him about half a beer to get well p*ssed.
ski holidays
Richard B, yu have made a wise choice in upgarding to Monarch premium. I endured the nine hours in Monarch cattle class last year and at 6'3'' with longish legs had a nightmare! Why is it I always seem to be behind the person who wants their seat reclined for the entire journey (including mealtimes) Crying or Very sad ? This is not a mistake I will make again and having spoken to others who flew premium upgrade, was told it was well worth it.

Gixer, I stayed in Lake Louise for two weeks last Jan. We were lucky with the weather (told it was the warmest january for 40 years) and had a great time. If you want peace and quiet, fantastic scenery and only a 5 minute bus ride to the slopes then it could be worth considering. The ski school there is excellent. We did 3 mornings of lessons, which were supposed to be in groups of up to 8 I think, but me and Mrs YSJ were the only two in our group, so it turned into 3 days of private tuition - result Very Happy . That was of course January when it is quieter anyway and most of the other classes (levels 1-4) had more people in them, but I don't think numbers ever exceeded 6 per class. The down side with Lake Louise is that it's very small and quiet. Limited places to eat and limited things to do in the day if not skiing, so unless your parents are happy reading by a big fire most of the time, it may be too limiting. Wherever you end up, Banff or LL you'll have a good time I'm sure.

Hope that's usefull.
snow report
Thank you for posting about upgrading to Monarch premium, this is another decision we are trying to make, we dont know if its best to pay extra and fly air Canada, or to pay extra for Monarch premium, which do you think is better? I think the seat pitch for Air Canada economy is 32", does anybody know the seat pitch for Monarch premium?

Cheers Very Happy
snow report
Gixer, this website would suggest the seat pitch in Monarch premium is 34", compared to economy of 28/29". I don't know if that is reliable info or not.
ski holidays
Actually, doing a google brings up lots of mentions of 34" in Monarch Premium so I would guess that is accurate Very Happy
latest report
Gixer, Hi. Having skied Banff last year in early January, I would suggest that you don’t take children there at that time of year. I have memories of grown men crying with the cold (-42 degrees at 9am and the lifts not opening until it had ‘warmed up’ to -20). Having said that the day we left it was 9 above.
I would also suggest hiring a car as children waiting for buses can get bored very quickly especially in the cold. This would also be handy for grandparents’ transportation and if grandparents can drive, they can drop you off, then go, and explore and not be stuck at resort all day. Drive time to ski resorts are 10 mins to Norquay, 25 mins to Sunshine and 45 mins to Lake Louise by car.
As for clothes for children, I would say a pair of silk glove liners would be a good idea and some spares as my 15 year old always seems to lose one. To kit them out, I would suggest going to the Daily Mail Ski show at Olympia 12th to 16th of October for loads of choice and some of the smaller retailers selling last years stock at a good price.
Clive
snow conditions
Also with regard to cheap ski clothes, Ellis Brigham have their sales on 16 and 17 September in the Royal Horticultural Hall, Victoria. You can normally pick up some good bargains from last years' stock
ski holidays
I would recommend that you stay 1-2 nights in the Sunshine Inn at Sunshine Village. It is the only ski in/out hotel in the whole area and can only be accessed by gondola. the hotel staff will load your luggage at the bottom and take to your room, so if you head up in the morning you can ski all day and your stuff will be in the Hotel when you've finished. There is a real sense of isolation at the place and it is very cosy. Not much else to do, but they have an excellent restaurant. They also have a 40 man outdoor hot tub!!!!! Very Happy
snow report
Oh and take a guided trip to Johnstons Canyon. Frozen waterfalls etc, very beautiful
snow conditions
Gixer, the Air Canada plane was very comfortable and had plenty of room. Not like our recent experience of BA.
snow report
I'm off to Banff for New Year and -42 does seem a bit extreme. For my 9 year old daughter I've got all the usual stuff with extra thermals, silk glove liners, a silk balaclava to go under her helmet, neoprene face mask, plenty of fleeces, etc. Anything else anyone would recommend? The walk outside to the hot tub must be pretty uncomfortable I would have thought.
snow report
Colin B, it doesn't always get that cold. Was it this season or last I know snowHeads were out there and it was positively balmy for a period in Jan. What you have got your daughter sounds ideal, lots of layers, thermals and face coverings. You can also get those little handwarmers - I've never used them but some people say they're good. They might come in handy on a cold chairlift. Hope you have a great time.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy