Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

An OAP takes up ski-touring. What do I need?

Poster: A snowHead
pam w, It is easier to hire a helicopter.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
zammo wrote:
DB, what state was the glacier in? I've been meaning to to do this tour for a couple of years but every time I visit my mate nr Salzburg the avvy risk has been high and / or there have been reports of some properly big crevasses.

This looks to be very similar to the tour we did ....... we bought a Rumpler tciket for around €17.
http://www.gps-tour.info/de/touren/detail.53008.html

It was taken out of the Schitourenatlas
http://schall-verlag.at/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=153:schitouren-atlas-oesterreich-ost09&catid=45:schitouren&Itemid=65

The glacier was fine, the tour atlas indicated there were numerous routes down and we followed a route that took up down the centre of the glacier. On our route we didn't come across any crevasses and even though this was before the major recent dumps we didn't see many either. The snow was wind pressed powder and I imagine the wind had filled in the crevasses with snow. We choose a day of good visibilty and backed up our co-ordinates with a GPS just to double check our line of descent was correct.

Yes I can see that when there is enough snow to make the lower sections skiable it makes the upper sections more avalanche prone. Krippenstein is said to be fantastic under the right conditions, it's getting the right conditions that seems to be the problem.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
just been out to buy some compeed to keep in my ski pack on the back of this thread Cool
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
shoogly, when skinning we were advised to carry a roll of tape, about 2cm wide. The French brand 'strappall' was recommended, but check my spelling. It would be wrapped around ski tail and skin if the glue on the skin failed and the skin would not stick. I have seen people apply tape when they affix their skins. On a couple of occasions I have had a skin come loose and used tape to hold the tail end in place. I have never needed it when the skins had a tail hook and were properly sized for my skis.

I have used the same sort of tape on my feet when getting a hot spot from rubbing when skinning. I have nothing against Compeed but if you notice the hot spot before it becomes a blister then tape works well and may save a few grammes in you pack!
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:

if you notice the hot spot before it becomes a blister

I did notice mine, but didn't want to ask everyone to stop whilst I sorted out my foot - would have felt a bit of a wimp. Would have been more sensible, though!

That sticky stuff, on the skins. What is it, and how long does it last?
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
pam w, skin glue. lasts just until it needs replaced I suppose, no set time period. When you're still up the hill, always take your skins off and fold them in half so as the glue is in contact with glue, then put them in your pack. Also, hang them and dry your skins properly in room temp (ie. not on a heater) at the end of a days skiing.

Adrian, I have the K2 skins which fix pretty securely at each end. I have seen people use duct tape to secure their skins before, now I know why. Best get some tape in the bag as well!
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
^^^ sticking glue to glue can mess up the glue - best to use "skin saver" backing strips or similar. skin socks (think that's what they're called) look great but i've never seen them for sale
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
the skins I hired were stuck to big plastic strips - made them very easy to handle. Wouldn't be hard to concoct something similar, I guess.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Those plastic strips are the skin saver or cheat sheet strips Arno is talking about. Most skins come with them although they are almost all universally crap. I normally only use mine for storage between outings as it's too much faff.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I've found that the Black Diamond cheat sheets (black mesh) degrade over time and you can be left with bits stuck all over the skins. Sad

I've gone back to using the plastic backing sheets that the skins came on. I cut one in half and, when touring, stick each skin to both sides of one half. At home I find the other whole one and, to give the skins an easier time, go back to a whole backing sheet per skin.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
altis, so that's what those mesh things are for! Embarassed
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
shoogly wrote:
always take your skins off and fold them in half so as the glue is in contact with glue, then put them in your pack.

Or never do this.

As Arno says, always use a skin saver. Sure you'll see all the old timers sticking their skins back together and I'm sure they last ages. Some newer skins, especially Pocoma, means you'll never get to use them again.

Depending on what came with your skins, if you have a 'full length' skin saver cut it in half and use a half length to fold each skin in half on itself, with the saver in-between.

Pleased you had fun pam w. Ski touring really is all the rage these days Wink
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
parlor wrote:
shoogly wrote:
always take your skins off and fold them in half so as the glue is in contact with glue, then put them in your pack.

Or never do this.

As Arno says, always use a skin saver. Sure you'll see all the old timers sticking their skins back together and I'm sure they last ages. Some newer skins, especially Pocoma, means you'll never get to use them again.

Embarassed think i got confused and totally forgot about my skinsavers... dam my fading brain Sad
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I've not had any problems sticking my skins together for a bit to ski down. I guess it might lessen their useful life and I don't store them that way but each to their own. Good info on making sure the brand will let you get away with it though although weirdly they actually state that sticking them together is okay on the website:

http://www.pomoca.com/en/technologies.php

"SAFER SKIN
Safety through waterproofness

With the development of the exclusive POMOCA Safer Skin technology, a new ski skin generation is born. All POMOCA self-adhesive skins benefit from this special treatment. Composed of an added 100 % waterproof membrane positioned between the weaving and the glue, Safer Skin offers many advantages, including:

No water retention thanks to absolute waterproofness
Ultimate safety thanks to the stability of the glue
No glue residues on the skis
Optimum gluing of the skin
Excellent wear and tear resistance
Easy glue-to-glue folding of ski skins, thanks to its good stability
Easier trimming of shaped skins to guarantee a perfect finish without fraying"

But I defer to experience.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
meh, tbh I think different skins react differently to this. My experience is thus:

Colltex - you can do this but they are so sticky you might pull something in trying to pull them apart
Black Diamond - messes up the glue
Pomoca - OK but I didn't find them particularly sticky - was never really keen on them
G3 - after the Black Diamond experience, i didn't risk it and used cheat sheets
snow report
I find the BD thing weird because I'm currently regularly sticking the nylon-mohair mix skins together without issues. Maybe it's ambient temp sensitive or they changed the glue?
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy