Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Car from MXP to Selva and in the Dolomites

Poster: A snowHead
Never before skied in Europe and will be making our first such trip this winter to Selva. Lots of helpful information on this forum. Will very likely be renting a car at MXP (you guys call it "car hire"). Is the drive to Selva mostly highways - seems that way on google maps, etc? How about driving around during the trip? If we wanted to do an entire day at Arabba or Kronplatz or Cortina is it feasible to drive there in the morning and return in the evening as opposed to skiing there and not having much time before heading back? Would each of these places have parking at/near the lifts? Except for one person who may struggle on black bumped up runs, our entire group will be able to handle all inbounds skiing on the Dolomiti pass, so we may want to explore. I'm not saying I would look to drive to each of those places from Selva, but just want to get a basic idea to help with some transportation planning. As awesome as this trip may be, we won't know if we will ever get back there, so we probably will be inclined to hit as many areas as possible.

Seems like the car hire is pretty straight forward, but regarding chains, will there be a situation where some cop or official will stop us and make us put them on? I have never driven a car with chains and have no idea how I would put them on even if they are sitting in my trunk, sorry, boot. I plan on getting a smallish AWD SUV.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Quote:

Is the drive to Selva mostly highways
yes its mostly autostrada and then a major road.

Quote:

If we wanted to do an entire day at Arabba or Kronplatz or Cortina
yes, but you can ski to Arabba in 60-90mins, it is halfway around the sella ronda. the others are quite away by car over 1 or 2 high passes. Google maps will be accurate in good conditions. 90mins or so each way, depends how keen you are.... there is more linked lift served skiing from Selva than you will be able to ski out.

Quote:

parking at/near the lifts
yes, might be a charge but there will be car parks

Quote:

black bumped up runs
what you say, this is Italy dear boy, the object is to be stylish, every run is groomed daily

Quote:

regarding chains, will there be a situation where some cop or official
yes possibly, but unlikely, it is quite a dry area, you would be unlucky to need them, but be prepared.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
everything in this view is linked by lift
https://openskimap.org/#11.01/46.5187/11.8467
this is vail at the same scale
https://openskimap.org/#11/39.6004/-106.2924
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@wjrlaw, Make shure to get winter tyres.

Don't use time to go by care to other areas - driving in mountains takes time - rather ski to Arabba.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@hobbiteater, that's interesting. The runs in Vail look very close together in comparison.

@wjrlaw, there are plenty of youtube videos about putting on chains. It would be sensible to watch a few, and get anyone who will be with you in the car to do the same. You will have a very accurate guide to the weather when you land at MXP. IF it looks snowy up in the mountains (which of course you'll be hoping it is!!) check that you can fit the chains before you leave the airport car park. That will also serve to check that they're the right size for the tyres.

Subsequently, if all the roads are clear and dry, you'll enjoy driving round the area. If it's snowy you might be better advised to use the extensive lift system.

Italian hired cars are most unlikely to be fitted with winter tyres, so if there's much snow on the roads, they'll be better avoided, though obviously AWD will be a big help.

It's a fabulous area - enjoy it! And leave a good time for lunch each day - the on mountain eateries are terrific.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:

there are plenty of youtube videos about putting on chains.

This one's my favourite. Can't think why Laughing

http://youtube.com/v/OeZYqwlgUUE
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Lovely body, @halfhand, but the wrong sort of chains. They are NOT what the OP is going to have to deal with.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
double post, sorry!

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Mon 6-11-23 21:03; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@wjrlaw, I’ve done that journey, it’s 4-5 hours drive depending on traffic. The first bit is easy autoroute, with some tolls.
I took the road from the Bolzano to Canazei where I was staying, it’s slow and twisty but OK, try and do it in daylight if you’re able.
I hired my car for Hertz, they do have AWD with winter tyres, as do Avis and Sixt.
It’s easy to ski to Arabba from Selva, I have no knowledge of Cortina or Kronplatz sorry.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@wjrlaw, You have to take the the exit some more north- saturday is often a mess on the street to the valley. If you can go into the valley very early say 6 morning it will be good and you can ski right away (after taking breakfast) snowHead
https://www.google.com/maps/@46.6473891,11.5862883,15.05z?entry=ttu

We often stay near overnight and drive into the valley very early in the morning, coming from the north.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
pam w wrote:
Lovely body, @halfhand, but the wrong sort of chains. They are NOT what the OP is going to have to deal with.

Agree. I've never seen a chassis like that when battling with chains.

OP - if you book a car with a broker, particularly a few days prior to travel, you will get it very cheap, as there is lots of stock for Summer visitors so lots of cars lying around.

Brokers, however, rarely seem to have cars with winter tyres. I have gotten one once in about thirty rentals I'd say.

However, as has been pointed out, you are quite unlikely to need chains. If you are willing to wait and are interested in saving money then just wait till a day or two before you leave and see what weather forecast is, then book a car.

If you would prefer to avoid the hassle just book a car with winter tyres direct.

Either way, have a fantastic time, you will be visiting Europe's most beautiful ski area.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
What's MXP?
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
holidayloverxx wrote:
What's MXP?

Milan Malpensa airport
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Yes you should check out Kronplatz for a day. The most vertical in one lift -by far- of any of the Dolomiti areas. 2 interesting museums at summit as well. As for Arabba and Cortina, yes you'll be able to ski to those places from Selva, and you should do that, too. Chains? Didn't see when you are going, but there is a reason Dolomiti has the biggest snowmaking system anywhere: they need it. That said, if you're lucky enough to get dumpage, passes over there are notably steeper and twistier than over here (e.g. Loveland Pass vs I-70 or Kingsbury Grade vs. Spooner), so chains can be needed at times when AWD would be sufficient here.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Some passes will be closed in heavy snow
snow report
A few tips for driving on the autostrada.

Be prepared for some folk driving at high speeds, well above the 130km/h limit. Unless you are happy playing with these folk stay out of the outside lane.

The queues at the toll booths can be pretty unruly, be prepared for lots of pushing in, you should be able to pay by card (even if most Italians dont) but dont expect the receipt bit to be working.

The ring road around Milan can be a trial to the uninitiated, as often in Italy signage can be rather confusing, also lots of folk pulling on or off at short notice without working indicators! Satnav is probably your friend here.

If you stop for coffee the process of actually buying one can seem a complete mystery. First you must queue up to pay though you need to know what to ask for. Get a receipt (Italians have receipts for everything) which you take to wave at the bored folk behind the counter to actually get your coffee or sandwich. Note that what Americans call coffee and brits call builder's coffee is called an Americano (or with milk - Americano con Leche), apparently this was brought in after the American army arrived in 1944 and were confused by the tiny cups of coffee the locals drank. The Cafes soon caught on and introduced the "Americano" to cater for the "liberator's" tastes. If you simply ask for "un caffè" you will get an espresso. You only have a Cappuccino at breakfast time.

I would try to get a car with winter tyres if at all possible, the Dolomites is pretty dry and snow clearance is very efficient but you might just have to deal with a road situation with lying snow. I wouldn't bother with chains, if there is a possibility of heavy snow on the high passes dont drive over them. For most of the drive the most likely winter driving hazard is dense fog.
latest report
It’s easy to drive around once there we have done this several times and is one reason we like the area. Also driving in Italy is pretty straightforward, especially once away from the large cities, lane discipline is important.

You’d have to be unlucky to have roads blocked by snow (or lucky if you’re at the destination) we’ve found the biggest problem driving is the ice as its not a cold area and can easily get above freezing for a few hours a day, it then obviously refreezes leaving random ice sheets seemingly strategically placed around blind corners!

Chains are a legal requirement which will be in your hire car. We have hired cars with all season tyres and it didn’t cost much more than standard tyres, IIRC a few £10s more last time. Have never had to put chains on but have been glad of the all seasons once or twice always related to side roads or car parks….

Although you can ski to Cortina unless you only want to see the cinque torri area it would leave much time to actually ski, so we drive and park up. Be aware that it’s quite a disjointed area with two main parts. There is a large free car park at the bottom of Socrates which opens up a good area and is where the World Cup (?) was last year. The lift at the bottom of Faloria on the other side of town is a pay car park.

Kronplatz is also a drive, again free parking. It’s quite a different resort to the others we’ve visited in that area. Basically most of it is one big mountain with multiple routes from the top, great views and very efficient lifts.

As mentioned above Arabba is an easy ski from Selva but be aware I think it’s slower coming back so don’t leave too late in the day. Also Arabba is probably the area where you’re most likely to hit the black bumped up runs your friend won’t like, so keep an eye on the piste map.
snow conditions
Just keep an eye on the weather forecasts and take local advice if you're venturing out into snowy conditions and are not capable of using chains if conditions demand. Having driven into Arabba when ALL the passes were officially closed (through 12' high walls of snow Skullie ) I take blasé assurances with a pinch of salt.
ski holidays
Easy drive, done it many times. We always stop in Verona for lunch/coffee and a stroll along the river. Never used chains but cars come with them. (verify)

Plan on 5 hours with stops. The last bit is twisting two lane road, so be careful.

The rental counter is left as you exit terminal. Cross the street and down one floor.
latest report
@wjrlaw, I hope you got the answers you were looking for. As we do not know how long you stay it is a bit difficult to give the best advice.

And if you look for some relaxed skiing do not forget Alpe di Siusi (Seiser Alm).

Instead of going over the passes you can go around if - about the same time, and probably faster in winter and safer.

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Selva+di+Val+Gardena,+39048+Sydtyrol,+Italien/St.+Lorenzen,+39030+Sydtyrol,+Italien/@46.6745185,11.396247,10z/data=!4m15!4m14!1m5!1m1!1s0x477814e5b51a73e9:0x18d0e61a4dfb813c!2m2!1d11.7546575!2d46.5564624!1m5!1m1!1s0x47781f79a3fc4f45:0xa40452cf5e12692c!2m2!1d11.9042684!2d46.7822986!3e0!5i1?entry=ttu
latest report
I've driven to Selva a fair few times. From the UK and from various airports with hire Noddys. As standard the hire car won't be fitted with winter tyres and I've been caught out with this one, probably won't have winter diesel in it either. Best to top up when you get near the mountains. Most hire outlets will have chains in the office if you ask. The roads in the Sud Tyrol are immaculately maintained. I've never come close to being caught out. However, you never know. Madeye-Smiley Another tip should the temps plummet, top the screen wash to brimming with neat fluid. Frozen screenwash on busy salted autoroutes is a proper drag and not particularly safe.
ski holidays
What are "hire Noddys", @Mollerski?
snow report
Hyst wrote:

Instead of going over the passes you can go around if - about the same time, and probably faster in winter and safer.

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Selva+di+Val+Gardena,+39048+Sydtyrol,+Italien/St.+Lorenzen,+39030+Sydtyrol,+Italien/@46.6745185,11.396247,10z/data=!4m15!4m14!1m5!1m1!1s0x477814e5b51a73e9:0x18d0e61a4dfb813c!2m2!1d11.7546575!2d46.5564624!1m5!1m1!1s0x47781f79a3fc4f45:0xa40452cf5e12692c!2m2!1d11.9042684!2d46.7822986!3e0!5i1?entry=ttu

I’m not sure if google maps is showing a different rout than you intended but if driving from Milan you can go North almost via Brunico to Corvara/Alta Badia and avoid passes but not Selva as you’d have to almost double back over the passo Gardena between Corvara and Selva. This is ca600m higher than the direct route up the valley from Ponte Gardena to Selva and a worse road. There are no passes to cross if coming up from west, just a gentle climb to Selva at ca 1600m.
snow report
As far as I understood he will be based in Selva (after flying in to Milano) and might explore other areas - one of them was Kronplatz.
Just an alternative to driving over Passo Gardena.
So no, the map shows what was intended.
latest report
pam w wrote:

Noddy cars! The group 1 cheapies. Pandas and the like. Razz
latest report
Ah, I see. The sort of cars you wouldn't want to be seen dead in except abroad on holiday. Laughing The sort lots of us drive every day.
snow report
Mollerski wrote:
pam w wrote:

Noddy cars! The group 1 cheapies. Pandas and the like. Razz

Careful just how “Noddy” you go.

Last March with just my son and me and only hand luggage from UK – GVA we did what any good Yorkshireman would do – hired the cheapest and therefore “Noddiest” car available.

We were presented with a Fiat 500 Cabriolet. In we jump and off to Chatel where a problem presents – how to fit the skis in. The only solution was fold RH rear backrest forward, remove RH front seat head rest and fully recline the backrest. Then feed skis through the boot and down RH side. Son sits in rear LH seat behind me in the driver’s seat. What a faff.

How much did we save compared to the next size up you ask? £7 Embarassed
latest report
Pasigal wrote:
Easy drive, done it many times. We always stop in Verona for lunch/coffee and a stroll along the river. Never used chains but cars come with them. (verify)

Plan on 5 hours with stops. The last bit is twisting two lane road, so be careful.

The rental counter is left as you exit terminal. Cross the street and down one floor.

Weird advice. The rental counters at Milan Malpensa could be either to the left of the right when you exit the terminal depending on which exit you take. Also no need to "cross street", simply take the lift within the terminal, no need to go outdoors at all. It is well signposted (follow signs for the railway station if confused).

I can only imagine you are thinking about a different airport. Or perhaps the old EasyJet terminal (limited car hire availability there anyway). Or have not been to MXP in the last decade. Or have simply been making life harder for yourself because you didn't actually realise you could get to the car hire terminals without going outside. I am sort of interested which it is!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
pam w wrote:
Ah, I see. The sort of cars you wouldn't want to be seen dead in except abroad on holiday. Laughing The sort lots of us drive every day.

Well described. The drive of shame on the school run. wink

We were in Turkey a couple of weeks ago. We booked a car through Jet2. A Renault Symbol turned up with holes in the seat covers. It lurched and juddered when the A/C was switched on. That thing was a drive of shame even in Turkey! We were expecting a newish standard Noddy, not a total heapster. Laughing
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy